Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the rear sight set screw dimensions or if someone happens to have an extra they might part with??

·
Registered
429 Posts
Does your rear sight slight off the slide?? If not, the screw is in there, just loose (don't ask how I know this.....). A 1.5mm allen wrench will tighten it down. I would have sworn my PT1911 didn't have a screw in it until somebody set me straight here on the forums. I was embarassed to find out it was there along, after waiting a coupla weeks for CS to send me a replacement, which always appeared too big! Good luck - hope this helps.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sight is off, but the screw was seized...had to use a reverse bit to remove it and now I need a replacement. Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Does your rear sight slight off the slide?? If not, the screw is in there, just loose (don't ask how I know this.....). A 1.5mm allen wrench will tighten it down. I would have sworn my PT1911 didn't have a screw in it until somebody set me straight here on the forums. I was embarassed to find out it was there along, after waiting a coupla weeks for CS to send me a replacement, which always appeared too big! Good luck - hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing this. I thought I had lost mine and pulled the set screw out of the front sight of a PT145 I used to have after putting Firesights on it. It never would go down all the way nor get the sight on my PT1911 set tight. After reading this I took it out and low and behold the original was still in there.

Thanks again for sharing. :thumb:

Reactions: Northwoods_Shooter

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Call taurus 2 $ ea and they ship. this is a regular issue i went to walmart got red lock tight put on each side till screw came in due to had idpa match home depo and lowes dont have em aces has the size but not short enough. went all over jacksonville every lgs bolt and screw store out there no one had em can order from granger wholesale stores if you have one.

jhp

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
If you have a decent locksmith in your area, they might be able to hook you up. In the shop I worked at for a while, we
had a "junk jar" for nothing but set screws of every size and threading that were leftover after jobs or salvaged from junk
locks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
Sight is off, but the screw was seized...had to use a reverse bit to remove it and now I need a replacement. Thanks
well of course if the sight is off and in your hand, you could always take it and have it (hole) drilled out, rethreaded with what ever size/thread that you wanted and its fixed and you will be able to find that size screw next time.
A drill press and a tap and you should be in business.
just saying the only reason that its that size and that length is because Taurus made it that way.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Or you could just take the sight up to your local Lowes and get a set screw. It will cost you less than getting one from Taurus, and you'll get it about ten days faster. It's just a set screw - nothing special. IIRC the rear is an M3X0.5.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Thanks...this is what I needed to know! Or maybe just tap to the same size as the Novacs. Thanks again guys!
Don't trust me too much. Best thing is to take the rear sight with you to the hardware store so you can check the size. My local lowes has drawers full of set screws in the hardware isle, and they've usually got the small sizes.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I thought I had lost mine and pulled the set screw out of the front sight of a PT145 I used to have after putting Firesights on it. It never would go down all the way nor get the sight on my PT1911 set tight. After reading this I took it out and low and behold the original was still in there.

Thanks again for sharing. :thumb:
So glad that my experience was helpful to you. I'm grateful to be able to help somebody on this forum...they've all given so much to me...

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
Or you could just take the sight up to your local Lowes and get a set screw. It will cost you less than getting one from Taurus, and you'll get it about ten days faster. It's just a set screw - nothing special. IIRC the rear is an M3X0.5.
and don't forget to take the correct hex wrench with you as well, or you will be trying to figure out the correct size of 2 items!!
Hey that would make a great 3 Stooges skit!
OK, who asked what are the 3 Stooges??-- ahhh Youngsters!--forget it!

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
and don't forget to take the correct hex wrench with you as well, or you will be trying to figure out the correct size of 2 items!!
Hey that would make a great 3 Stooges skit!
OK, who asked what are the 3 Stooges??-- ahhh Youngsters!--forget it!
That's the great thing about hardware stores. If you forget the hex wrench, they sell those too. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts