Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Hmmm Col Custer comes to mind....

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
He's getting away with his actions in Ukraine — a calculated move as they are NOT and EU state and he has not technically 'invaded' them.

If he Invades EU soil I guess we will see what that alliance is made of — 28 nations including Belgium, Germany, France and Italy and a LOT more bordering Russia directly! :mad:

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
First the Russians would love to have a warm water port open to the Atlantic, like Riga. Second, when the first evil empire fell, there was a rush of Russians buying land and major facilities, like the port facilities at Riga. Russians now make up something like 25% of the population and the Lithuanians would like to get rid of the Russians since they have a stranglehold on the port of Riga, NTM they refused to speak the local language and try to make every one else converse in Russian. Lithuanian government is very pro-Western and actually has had troops in Iraq and Afghanistan with the Americans. I think when the Russians moved into Crimea, NATO moved an air squadron in the Lithuania as a preventive measure.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
If so, this could get ugly very quickly.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
With Putin driving, this will get ugly.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
And I thought that the last Imperialistic land grab war I'd see was Saddam Insane in Kuwait?!?!

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
If they invade Lithuania we are at war because Lithuania is a NATO ally. I don't think Putin wants to take all of us on. He just didn't want us to take the rest of his empire and he let it be known. Plus the Crimea and eastern Ukraine were part of Russia until the 50s. He considers it his.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If they invade Lithuania we are at war because Lithuania is a NATO ally. I don't think Putin wants to take all of us on. He just didn't want us to take the rest of his empire and he let it be known. Plus the Crimea and eastern Ukraine were part of Russia until the 50s. He considers it his.
If the Russians can use that logic to take the Crimea, why can't we use it to take Cuba?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Part of the weakness with NATO (at least to Russia) is that in spite of all the expansion to bring former Eastern Block countries into NATO, none of the NATO defenses moved out to these new boundaries. We (US Forces) leave western Germany and go for training in Poland, but there are no NATO bases in Poland, why is that? Put NATO bases into Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia, Poland, Romania, Hungary, and Bulgaria and this Russian nonsense stops.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Who do the Lutherans want to invade?!?!?!?

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The Pistol Pale'uns?

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
If the Russians can use that logic to take the Crimea, why can't we use it to take Cuba?
We could have had Cuba 50 years ago but we had that stupid embargo. If we had been down in Cuba polluting the Revolucion, this would have been over without firing a shot. But then the Castro brothers and Marco Rubio wouldn't have any reason to be any more.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Putin had been probing the Baltic region for months now. He has had the Swedes and Finnish on edge the whole time. I suspect it is a distraction so he can strike elsewhere.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Personally, I believe Putin thinks he has us too occupied in other areas, stretched too thin with our current forces, to be able to do anything, just like he did in Georgia. Forward staging NATO (not US) ground forces forward in Poland and moving an air wing into Latvia would give him pause. Tie that up with some large scale maneuvers in Sweden and Finland and he may have to think twice about his strategy. Liberating Armenia from the Russians would open the way for a pipeline to pull Azerbaijan oil and natural gas out and threaten his entire southern flank in one fell swoop. Of course nothing will happen until NATO gets that Muslim Brotherhood President out of power in Turkey, but I am pretty sure the Saudis are working hard at getting that done.

We should have moved US forces into permanent bases in Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria long ago. I would bring the 173rd Airborne Bde out of Italy and into Bulgaria, probably around Sofia. Move Fifth Corps (2 Mech Inf Divs and an Armored Div) into Romania close to the Moldovian plains, and bring one of the Armored Divisions, maybe 2AD, into Hungary. Then shift EUCOM HQ from Stuttgart into the Sofia area and USAEUR HQ into Italy, maybe around Naples, or even into southern Hungary. Top that off with putting Missile Defense into Poland as originally intended and they will just about pee in their pants. JMHO

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Personally, I believe Putin thinks he has us too occupied in other areas, stretched too thin with our current forces, to be able to do anything, just like he did in Georgia. Forward staging NATO (not US) ground forces forward in Poland and moving an air wing into Latvia would give him pause. Tie that up with some large scale maneuvers in Sweden and Finland and he may have to think twice about his strategy. Liberating Armenia from the Russians would open the way for a pipeline to pull Azerbaijan oil and natural gas out and threaten his entire southern flank in one fell swoop. Of course nothing will happen until NATO gets that Muslim Brotherhood President out of power in Turkey, but I am pretty sure the Saudis are working hard at getting that done.

We should have moved US forces into permanent bases in Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria long ago. I would bring the 173rd Airborne Bde out of Italy and into Bulgaria, probably around Sofia. Move Fifth Corps (2 Mech Inf Divs and an Armored Div) into Romania close to the Moldovian plains, and bring one of the Armored Divisions, maybe 2AD, into Hungary. Then shift EUCOM HQ from Stuttgart into the Sofia area and USAEUR HQ into Italy, maybe around Naples, or even into southern Hungary. Top that off with putting Missile Defense into Poland as originally intended and they will just about pee in their pants. JMHO
Wolfie, dude, don't that look a touch like ringin' 'em in? Jes' a bit?

You, bettert than anybody on this board, know what flippin' paranoics they are. They truly believe that somebody wants to invade and take over thier crappy frozen desert.

They are permanently stuck disassembing the grievous personal errors of Stalin before WWII in the purges of yesteryear, and wont be likely happy until theyve slaked their thirst on the blood of a U. S. Army division or a omnner base, (assuming they could get enough play off of one to comply.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Wolfie, dude, don't that look a touch like ringin' 'em in? Jes' a bit?

You, bettert than anybody on this board, know what flippin' paranoics they are. They truly believe that somebody wants to invade and take over thier crappy frozen desert.

They are permanently stuck disassembing the grievous personal errors of Stalin before WWII in the purges of yesteryear, and wont be likely happy until theyve slaked their thirst on the blood of a U. S. Army division or a omnner base, (assuming they could get enough play off of one to comply.
First, that is the eastern edge of NATO, so it is not like you are doing anything wrong, plus it would be an answer to his actions in the area. Now the one thing that Putin is saying with his actions to the former Eastern Block countries (now in NATO) is that neither America nor NATO will really come to their aid if Russia decides to just take them. There must be push back from NATO that reinforces to these countries that they are protected as members of NATO, otherwise they will go back to being under Russian control, rather than risk being invaded, like in Crimea and Georgia, and probably soon to be Ukraine. A Bully will keep pushing until someone pushes back, that is Schoolyard 101. Poland needs a NATO Corps on its eastern borders now, not just to bolster their morale, but that of all of the former Eastern Block countries. Forcing Russia to spend more money now when their economy is falling apart puts them where they were when Reagan was President and they were having a hard time keeping even bread on the shelves. JMHO

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I kind of expect him to move on Georgia and the "stans, with all the posturing to the West to be a distraction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts