Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is always about the latest and greatest, but there is a pattern I see as I study the history of different firearm innovations, and that is that Taurus often does things first. So give me some help here. What firearms and firearm design features did Taurus come up with that another company later jumped on the bandwagon with? Right off the bat I can think of the Judge and the subsequent S&W Governor. I am also think there are features from the PT 111 and the Slim 709 that have been imitated. I also see Colt and S&W moving towards the matte finish on their revolvers. Thanks for your replies in advance.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Well, I don't know for sure, but the specific "stippling" that they put on their original G2 has seemed to have been emulated by some others. I mean guns have always had some form of stippling, but now you see them on a few other manufactures, and it is most certainly a copy of what Taurus did on the G2.

I had never felt factory stippling before, like that on my G2, before I bought that pistol.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Taurus® has a real hit with the TRACKER™ series, particularly with the Model 44C in 44 Mag. Smith & Wesson® copied it with their L frame Mdl 69 albeit much more expensive.

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
I was liking Taurus in the 90's but when the 2000's rolled around, I was looking for something I thought didn't exist - a smallish 9mm that could be carried covertly and didn't kill your hand with reccoil. Taurus came out with the Millenium series, and I bought a 2nd gen gun around 2004. DAO, 10 round magazine (because of the Clinton gun ban), and factory installed tritium sights, I thought that gun was everything I would ever want in a pistol. Imagine my surprise when I saw the PT145, about the same size but packing a bigger caliber punch. Had to have one.

There may have been other similar sized pistols around back then, but I sure can't tell you what they were. I believe Taurus was on the leading edge of this type of gun and that this time period was their heyday. I hope they have another period of time like that, I really do.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
A Taurus first for me: I love the G2C so much I bought a second one. Never bought two of the same gun before.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
The only .45 Colt on the market that was double action and had a under-lug barrel was Colt's Anaconda when I was looking. I bought one and hated it. I was use to Smith & Wesson's setup for double action revolvers. Even the single action had some quirks. S&W announced they were bringing out a 625, and it ended up being a 3" round butt called their Mountain gun.

I was somewhat irritated. The shop showed me an article where Taurus was going to come out with a dedicated .45 Colt six shot Raging Bull. I ordered a 6.5" Blued and shot it against my Anaconda in .45 Colt. The Taurus won in accuracy and trigger. I sold the Colt to a collector for $800 at the time. Which was good money for them then as used Pythons were hovering around $1,000. I still have the .45 Colt Raging Bull.

I still keep my eyes pealed for another, and if the price is right I'd jump on it, even though I have a Super Redhawk in .454.

Maloy

·
Registered
11 Posts
I admit I looked real close at the Judge when it first came out, or at least when I first saw it in a store, c.2007(?). Seems so long ago. But anyway, I opted to wait, and now I've kind of gravitated to other models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts