Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy’s brother just bought his first gun ever he is 39 and has been thinking about getting a firearm for family protection for about a year now and on Wednesday he went out to academy and purchased a G23 .40 cal (I think he should of got a 9mm but its his gun not mine) anyways so we go out to the range on Saturday, he was very excited infact he got to the range 20 min before they opened and 30 min before we got there. As we got there he is shooting his piece and liking it so I say do you want to shoot mine. Now this man is a small man he is maybe 5 foot 5 and 145lbs (so a small guy) and not to athletic, so he says ok I hand him the 24/7 .45. he pulls the trigger off goes the round and the slide stays open so I say hold on and disassemble look nothing is wrong he trys again and it happens again well we went thru this about 4 time then I think hold on let me try 12 rounds to see what’s wrong nothing all 12 go with no problem then I think hold on im 6’1 and 240 he as got to be limp wristing, that’s the first time in my shooting life I have seen a pistol limp wrist every time the shooter shot it. Well needless to say no more .45 for him

·
Registered
514 Posts
The problem you're describing, as far as I know, usually isn't associated with limp wristing. Normally, limp wristing means the slide doesn't go all the way back (ie...the frame moves with it) and prevents it from loading the next round. If the slide is locking, it is recoiling far enough. My guess...his grip might have been putting some upward pressure on the slide lock. I'm sure there is someone out there who knows more than I and can comment...but from what I understand, those are my thoughts. :thumb:

·
22,058 Posts
Limp wristing as I understand it and have witnessed is the slide does not make it all the way back. In other words the hand moves back during recoil enough to absorb some of the energy so the slide does not go full travel. If you were having to unlock the slide between each shot he made then he was pressing up on the lock. I have seen this more often than limp wristing. Actually seen experienced shooters do this sometimes.

Limp wristing will cause jambs such as failure to eject and failure to feed. You will have the spent brass stuck in the slide or a fresh round cocked at the ramp.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well both of ya’ll seem more knowledgeable on this subject than I am but to clarify the round ejected fine and the next round was still in the mag when I looked at it I don’t really remember if the slide was locked but im 80% sure it was not it seemed to just be hung up on loading the next round as if it wanted to put it in the chamber but it didn’t have enough muscle to do it

·
Registered
642 Posts
+2 he's bumping the slide lock. I've tried to limp wrist my Pt111 & can't get it to malfunction. Works everytime with my 62 lbs 8 year old shooting it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts