Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello good folks-

I just found out that my parents are going to give me my Grandfather's old 12 gauge shot gun (I'm not sure of the manufacturer but it's a free gun, who complains about that?)! It's all well and good, but unfortunately it is currently inoperable because it has a "pitted barrel". I was wondering if any of you may know a ballpark estimate of how much it may cost to get that repaired by a gunsmith? I understand there are different rates for different people, but + or - $100 or so where it might fall? Thanks I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If the pitting has reached a point where it has thinned out the barrel at any point it is likely not repairable. It is something you can keep and be proud of.

Not all things of value are worth money.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Hello good folks-

I just found out that my parents are going to give me my Grandfather's old 12 gauge shot gun (I'm not sure of the manufacturer but it's a free gun, who complains about that?)! It's all well and good, but unfortunately it is currently inoperable because it has a "pitted barrel". I was wondering if any of you may know a ballpark estimate of how much it may cost to get that repaired by a gunsmith? I understand there are different rates for different people, but + or - $100 or so where it might fall? Thanks I really appreciate it!
If you can get the manufacture and model, you might get lucky and be able to buy a used barrel from Numrich E-Gun Parts

Here are barrel blanks that a very good smith could fit to your shotgun, or you may get lucky and find a used one from the same company.

A good gunsmith probably charges around $60 an hour, and I can imagine 4 hours time to fit a barrel depending on the configuration.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Categories/Barrels-35348/BarrelBlanks-35342/ShotgunBarrels-35340.htm

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
If the barrel is "pitted" that bad the barrel is not repairable. It could also be an older gun with Damascus, or "twisted steel" barrels in which case it would be completely unsafe with smokeless powder loads and should be carefully checked before attempting to even use black powder hand loads.

OTOH it could be something like a Winchester 97 or 12 or any of a number of Ithaca's, Brownings, or Remingtons, that careful searching might find a barrel for.

Just " a shotgun" is not nearly enough information to allow any kind of guess or advice.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
There is also the option of having the barrel lined to a smaller gauge. Have shot a few 12"s that were lined and converted to 20. Barrels are heavy but the old guns are back in service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts