Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE! Houston I think we have a problem---Like new 22 Thunder!

Greetings all,
On Sat. I was able to lay away a like new .22 Thunder. My LGS owner is a pretty good friend of mine, so he let me have first crack at it. He had took it in on trade early that morning. Well it's the first 22 I've ever seen, (same for him) so of course I was quite excited. After looking it over I knew I wanted it. He knew I would too, I'm his biggest Bersa fan. It had the box and all the papers, including the original receipt, which had the price of $250.00 bought last May. Well? he said with a grin on his face, how much I asked (figuring around the $300 range) $250 OTD. I couldn't say yes quick enough. So not having that kind of cash at that moment, I laid it away until later this week. I thought the price was fair, what say you? Only has the one mag, looking for another, all help in that area would be appreciated! Here's a factory pic, I'll post some of mine when I get it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
Nice gun. I kinda thought about getting one at one point when I was living in Corpus. A LGS down the road had one in stock a might over 300 and all the reviews were good for it. However, I'm a Ruger fanboy, myself, and when the SR22 came out, I was all over it. :D I like the PP/PPKish look of the Bersas, though, and the little .22 is supposed to shoot really well. Enjoy.

Reactions: 24/7 compact

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice gun. I kinda thought about getting one at one point when I was living in Corpus. A LGS down the road had one in stock a might over 300 and all the reviews were good for it. However, I'm a Ruger fanboy, myself, and when the SR22 came out, I was all over it. :D I like the PP/PPKish look of the Bersas, though, and the little .22 is supposed to shoot really well. Enjoy.
I'm a Ruger fan too! I've always liked the Mark I, II, & III"s The SR22 is cool as well. My wife's favorite of all is our Mark II 50th Aniv model.

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
Yes, no collection is complete without a Mk Ruger. I have a Mk 2, also. The little Bersa and my SR22 work for me for a pocket gun. I like having an accurate little .22 along with me on fishing trips. Never know when you'll get a shot at a nutria or something. :D I saw that Bersa as a fishing companion and the SR22 fills the roll well, is lighter, 2" at 25 yards accurate. I love to plink with it, but I have shelved it until I can once again find Federal bulk pack at Walmart. Might be a while. :rolleyes::bang:

Can never have too many quality .22s, though.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I own a Bersa 380 Thunder and love it. I would definitely pick up a 22 Thunder if I saw one in a LGS at a good price.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I describe Duchess (my satin/nickel Bersa Thunder 22) as "more fun than human beings should be allowed to have." You'll be glad you jumped on it. And a great price, these days they generally go for 300+

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

I really enjoy my .22's and the top left pistol is a (Firestorm branded) Bersa .22-6, meaning the same gun you have only with a 6" barrel, Bersa hasn't made these in 5 years (not with the 6" barrel although they still occasionally make a run of the standard barrel length. It is an accurate pistol and being rugged, I keep it in my console along with a 1911.

I have been very pleased with the 22-6, having had it since new and 5-6 years. It has functioned very well and I really like the double action and the decocker and the feel of the gun in my hand.

They are made on the same line as the .380 Thunder. The .380 Thunder is the most sought after compact .380 on the market today (notice I didn't say pocket gun.) As a .380, the Thunder is a very reasonably priced .380 and really has little or no competition. In the .22 version, it has a price point about the same as a lower end Ruger Mark or Browning Buckmark and those Jam-o-matic Walthers (with ammo other than Mini-mags) and just doesn't sell as well as the .380 does, so I suppose that is why there are only limited runs of the Thunder .22 anymore. I think the quality is equal or superior to some of the better known competetion and it is without a doubt the easiest .22 pistol to take down there is.

Regarding take down, the recoil spring has a small end and a big end, the small end goes on the barrel first. The small end fits snugger on the barrel. If you get the recoil spring on backwards, you will have cycling problems, and that goes for either the .22 or the .380.

Another recommendation, if yours is plated instead of stainless, keep solvent away from it, it will cause the plating to flake.

I would like to have one with the 3" barrel also, and the Bersa also has a lifetime warrantee and excellent parts availability as well as numerous service centers.

Eagle Imports carries the magazines when you catch them in stock. The magazines are pricey.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a Thunder 22 and love it. I found that it likes Remington target LRN the best. Good deal for $250, I paid $330 for mine. I would like to get at Thunder 380 to go with it at some point.

I started to become a Ruger fan when I bought an LCR .357. But, after finding that the trigger would rotate the cylinder without firing the round if I didn't let it out to the full reset I traded it off. Seemed like a pretty big oversight on the part of the Ruger engineers. Granted, I could have trained to overcome it and prayed that it didn't happen if I needed all five rounds but it just seemed like a better idea to get a different gun. Even knowing Ruger's track record, it is hard for me to consider owning one now.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Greetings all,
On Sat. I was able to lay away a like new .22 Thunder. My LGS owner is a pretty good friend of mine, so he let me have first crack at it. He had took it in on trade early that morning. Well it's the first 22 I've ever seen, (same for him) so of course I was quite excited. After looking it over I knew I wanted it. He knew I would too, I'm his biggest Bersa fan. It had the box and all the papers, including the original receipt, which had the price of $250.00 bought last May. Well? he said with a grin on his face, how much I asked (figuring around the $300 range) $250 OTD. I couldn't say yes quick enough.
Congrats, I think you will like it very well indeed. It's no target pistol, but it shoots as well as most good plinkers. Feed it good ammo and it will run well.

I have the Firestorm 22, which is very close to being the same as the Thunder.

View attachment 55195

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 55189

I really enjoy my .22's and the top left pistol is a (Firestorm branded) Bersa .22-6, meaning the same gun you have only with a 6" barrel, Bersa hasn't made these in 5 years (not with the 6" barrel although they still occasionally make a run of the standard barrel length. It is an accurate pistol and being rugged, I keep it in my console along with a 1911.

I have been very pleased with the 22-6, having had it since new and 5-6 years. It has functioned very well and I really like the double action and the decocker and the feel of the gun in my hand.

They are made on the same line as the .380 Thunder. The .380 Thunder is the most sought after compact .380 on the market today (notice I didn't say pocket gun.) As a .380, the Thunder is a very reasonably priced .380 and really has little or no competition. In the .22 version, it has a price point about the same as a lower end Ruger Mark or Browning Buckmark and those Jam-o-matic Walthers (with ammo other than Mini-mags) and just doesn't sell as well as the .380 does, so I suppose that is why there are only limited runs of the Thunder .22 anymore. I think the quality is equal or superior to some of the better known competetion and it is without a doubt the easiest .22 pistol to take down there is.

Regarding take down, the recoil spring has a small end and a big end, the small end goes on the barrel first. The small end fits snugger on the barrel. If you get the recoil spring on backwards, you will have cycling problems, and that goes for either the .22 or the .380.

Another recommendation, if yours is plated instead of stainless, keep solvent away from it, it will cause the plating to flake.

I would like to have one with the 3" barrel also, and the Bersa also has a lifetime warrantee and excellent parts availability as well as numerous service centers.

Eagle Imports carries the magazines when you catch them in stock. The magazines are pricey.
Yep, and when I took it down, it was on backwards, I'll bet that's why it was traded off, good for me :D I hope ;)

Reactions: Felix

·
Registered
428 Posts
i like rugers also.....have too many, however i also have only one BERSA in 380 and could not be happier. everything i have seen, read etc about the bersa is great.
i think you did well. have a good time.

regards

·
Registered
617 Posts
Love my Ruger MKII but the thunder is nice paid 250 for mine with about 100 rds of use. Private sale.

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
I have a Thunder 22 and love it. I found that it likes Remington target LRN the best. Good deal for $250, I paid $330 for mine. I would like to get at Thunder 380 to go with it at some point.

I started to become a Ruger fan when I bought an LCR .357. But, after finding that the trigger would rotate the cylinder without firing the round if I didn't let it out to the full reset I traded it off. Seemed like a pretty big oversight on the part of the Ruger engineers. Granted, I could have trained to overcome it and prayed that it didn't happen if I needed all five rounds but it just seemed like a better idea to get a different gun. Even knowing Ruger's track record, it is hard for me to consider owning one now.
Any DA revolver can be short stroked in DA to rotate the cylinder without firing. I can do it with my Taurus and Smith and Wesson revolvers. Just let the gun cycle and it'll do its job.

I've owned 11 Rugers (including a 10/22) over the years, have 8 at the moment. I have not owned one I didn't like. I traded the Security Six for a Blackhawk because it didn't like .38s, didn't shoot .38s well. I had my stainless Old Army stolen. Found a blued Old Army for a killer price I picked up to replace it because I simply couldn't live life without a Ruger Old Army. :D And, I had a SP101 briefly that i sold back to my SIL when he got back from Iraq. I currently own the Ruger Old Army, the .357 Blackhask, a .45 Colt 4 5/8" stainless Blackhawk, the 10/22, the Mk 2, the SR22, a KP90DC .45ACP, and a P85 9mm. All are built like tanks, shoot amazingly well, are 100 percent reliable, and I'll match 'em to ANYthing comparable on the market. :D I don't currently own a Ruger DA revolver, but have owned the SP101 and the Security Six in the past.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If your Bersa 22 is half as good as my Bersa Thunder 380, you're going to love it. Shoot it (often) in good health.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Congratulations. The Thunder .22's are very difficult to find for less than a premium price. Good find. Be patient about additional magazines. It took me six weeks to get spares for my BT380 from Eagle. I had E-mailed Eagle, and got a reply the next day about their next expected shipment.
Some of the 22's are ammo sensitive, some seem to eat anything. I only know this because I am on three Bersa forums.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congratulations. The Thunder .22's are very difficult to find for less than a premium price. Good find. Be patient about additional magazines. It took me six weeks to get spares for my BT380 from Eagle. I had E-mailed Eagle, and got a reply the next day about their next expected shipment.
Some of the 22's are ammo sensitive, some seem to eat anything. I only know this because I am on three Bersa forums.
I'm on BersaChat myself :)

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
I have to say, if I'd found the Bersa .22 for 250, I'd have snapped it up. They wanted 330 at the LGS in Corpus where I found one, was new for that price. That place didn't have many bargains in it. AND, this was over a year ago. In today's climate, you done REAL good. :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have to say, if I'd found the Bersa .22 for 250, I'd have snapped it up. They wanted 330 at the LGS in Corpus where I found one, was new for that price. That place didn't have many bargains in it. AND, this was over a year ago. In today's climate, you done REAL good. :D
I thought so, and since it had everything with it, including the orig receipt, I'd better jump on it. I do really like the looks of the Thunders, very Walther like, which I also like very much. The Bersa win out over the Walther in two ways IMO. First, the first double action trigger pull. Bersa wins hands down, and of course price. What can I say, I like them. :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:mad:Got the .22 Thunder today & after cleaning & closer inspection I'm sure I have a prob & know why it was traded off. The extractor sticks out with out a round in the gun, which I'm pretty sure it's not suppose to anyway. It also keeps it just a hair out of battery. What I can figure is that the notch for the extractor that's cut in the side of the barrel isn't quite big enough. Here are some pics, the last one is me holding back the slide just a bit & the extractor goes down.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts