Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The industry seems to have some interest in pushing .32 caliber to more power in revolvers. Is there any such thing going on in semi-auto's?

JimL

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
wow i can't believe i've never heard of this round.. i must have totally missed it.. probably because i dont pay any attention to .32's most of them are as large or almost as large as a compact .380.. and there are 9mm's that are the same size as a .380.

but it's a pretty nasty looking round for it's size.

according to http://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/nfselector.asp
not many .32 mag's in production.., although there are probably others out there that the database is'nt reporting.

the taurus seems to be the smallest of them but the soon to be launched (hopefully) Px4-sc is slightly smaller in all dimensions.

taurus ultra-lite .32 mag VS bretta Px4-sc

Width: 1.346 / 1.2
Height: 5.1 / 4.8
Length: 6.5 / 6.2
Weight: 17 / 25.2 (unloaded)
Capacity: 6 / 13

the ultra-lite definitely wins the weight department but that seems to be it's only advantage..
9mm should be cheaper to shoot also.

price wise the taurus wins again.. but for a carry weapon i'd spend the extra to get the advantages..
the px4-sc looks like an extremely interesting beast, im actually excited to see how it does.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I was down in South America...........32 is a standard caliber and is very popular among civilians. They have the .32 Auto, .32 S&W Mag and .32 H&R Mag. Pretty deadly round based on what i have seen. Accuracy, Low Recoil, Effectiveness and easy to conceal for small arms. Makers there include Baretta, Taurus, Rossi, Walter, CZ and a few others.
Remember shot placement is the key and I have see a .32 do more damage than a 9mm MANY times before.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
.32 caliber has got a bad rap because all the turn of the century pocket pistols were in that caliber. Qulity control for ammunition being what it was and the increase of shooting incidents where the victim survived didn't help. You had an array of guns that shot .32 claiber bullets with all kinds of case lengths. But most police records at the time would record the caliber. Wel thats fine except you had .32 colt, .32 s&w, .32 long, .32 short, .32 win, .32 acp, .32 russian, .32 polish, (I threw some in for giggles but you get my drift). So the bad rep the .32 got probably came from all those little pistols firing some fifty year old black powder round because nobody back then could or would afford to buy a .38 or .45, or that they could only carry a small pistol.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
My first memory of a 32, was a friend who worked at a bank. Large Bank, and they bought their guards revolvers for years and years. In the 60's they were replacing the guns and offered them for sale, along with supplies of ammo.

Long story to short! Friend bought one, and several boxes of ammo. We were on my then Dad's farm, Plinking away. He wanted to try it out. If it fired, you could watch the bullet fly toward the target, but no guarantee that it would get all the way there. It kind of turned me off to 32's. Of course now I know it was the old ammo, not the gun.

He kept and carried that gun until this day. It still works great, along with its big brother 357.

·
Super Moderator
34,944 Posts
The new .327 Federal Magnum pushes a little over 400 ft lbs which is pretty close to the Russian Tokarev 7.62x25 round that has been around since the Tok in the 1930s. It's pretty hot, but I don't know of a firearm that shoots it other than the Tok. It has to be chambered in locked breach/delay blowback designs, quite high pressure. Tokes are cheap, though, and flat and rather light, easy to conceal. But, there's no safety, which sorta sux. LOL I had a couple of Chinese 9mm Tokes in the past with a safety installed that worked backwards of the way it should. There was no real safe way to carry the thing other than condition three, not real practical.

Technically, the 7.62x25 is a "30 caliber" as the bullet diameter is .308", but a .32 is actually .311", and with only .003" difference, you can shoot .308 bullets in a .32 and have a half way accurate gun, they're that close. In fact, I've done just that in 7.62x39 (.311" bore) with good accuracy results. The 7.62x39 dies came with a choice of .308 or .311 expander ball to allow you to use either bullet diameter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
when i was in south america.........guy took one shot outside a club with a .32 Auto in the chest area and fell and died. Guy took three shots of 9mm in the chest area and survived. Another incident that i saw, guy took a shot to the head with a .32 Auto and died...............guy took a 9mm to the head and survived in a robbery. The .32 is the only licensed caliber and all civilians have it down there. I also got to see a lot of stasticics with the .32 since there was a shooting daily in those countries. The police carries 9mm and .38 Specials. The bad-guys carries 9mm most of the time. Of course, ammunition and shot placement makes a large difference. I have witness a .32 Auto expand to 1/2" in diameter in the Federal hydrashok line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts