Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, not sure if right forum. Anyway I have and carry both (not at same time) Taurus G2S and G3C. Tending to prefer the 2S because of it's slightly smaller size and weight. But many times given hot weather and light clothing I find even that one to be uncomfortable. In the quest for something small and light I came across and fell for a Walther PP22Q at my LGS. It feels like the answer to a maiden's prayers (though I have not purchased it). The thing is absolutely perfect in so many ways EXCEPT it's a .22LR and THAT is where I give great pause. I am not sure if being comfortable with that strapped to my side is worth the "risk" of .22 over being uncomfortable with the 9's and them tugging my pants down :D
What is general consensus on carrying a .22LR I see so many pros and cons of this on videos and such. Anyone actually have real world experience on that (and perhaps with this weapon)?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
They can get the job done in the right circumstances but I wouldn't want to rely on one because of the possibility of a misfire from the rim type of primer application. I wouldn't recommend one as a primary carry weapon but would as a secondary backup. I'm sure others will disagree but that's my $0.02 on the matter.

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts
I moved your thread over to Concealed Carry as it's more appropriate for the subject and will probably draw more comments. The only gun I've pocket carried so far is the 605 revolver in a pocket holster in my winter coat so it really doesn't qualify for warm weather pocket carry. I'll be interested in reading responses from south of the Mason Dixon line as their need is much greater than those in the northern climes.

I'm almost always wearing blue jeans and the pockets are not all that conducive to pocket carry. It seems that even cargo shorts and/or Dockers khakis would print or sag under the weight of a pistol or other handgun.

My SR22 is lightweight, small and carries 10 +1. I might consider that one for around the yard. My Kimber Micro 9 is a mini 1911, lightweight and carries 7 +1. It's been my constant companion for a few months now.

22 LR is better than nothing, 32 ACP better than 22 LR IMO. When you start getting to the size of a small semi-auto, you may as well go to 9mm as long as the snappier recoil is manageable. I've always been intrigued with the Bond Derringers, but for the size/weight tradeoff to a Micro 9 the two round capacity has been a non-starter for me.

Here's a resource to compare handguns for size and weight:

·
Banned
157 Posts
The Kel Tec P3T it was lightweight ad small hand gun in market

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
well you will get all types of opinions on this--Mine-- the only place i would tote a 22 or 25 to for protection is a Squirrel Biker Bar that might get roudy, and maybe have an occasional mean Rabbit come in looking for trouble.
there are quite a few very small, lightweight 380 semi pistols on the market, I have a Sig 238 thats both as well as exceptionally reliable, accurate (out to 10 yards its head shot accurate) and flat, Kimber, Springfield and Colt make virtually the same weapon.
I personally carry a Sig 365 now and still have and carry occasionally my CZ p-01 both in IWB holsters and i live outside hotlanta.
Green Product Air gun Trigger Gun barrel
Red Material property Art Font Circle

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well this is going to also be a possible "go to" for wife as well. One thing she does not like is how "snappy" the 9s are and I am sure even smaller ones get even more so. Even some of the testers I see with 380's note how snappy they are. And yeah I do feel .22LR may not be "enough". But again I am not looking for it to be EDC. Just when I am dressed very lightly. Otherwise I am quite content carrying my G2S (which is a 7+1) on most days and the 3C when I am not dressed as lightly. I am really torn on this stuff

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
I don't trust rimfire (regardless of bore diameter) to go BANG! when I need them to.

The smallest thing I'm willing to carry is a .32ACP- currently from a Beretta Tomcat. The Tomcat is small enough to hide yet still big enough to shoot often enough to be proficient with.

Remember, carrying a gun is useless if you can't hit what you're aiming at with it. Only hits count and you're going to be held accountable for any misses.

·
9,101 Posts
Nope, 22LR is not a good SD caliber. But with that said people who use pistols for neferarious reasons use the 22LR more than any other single caliber. So it works,, but just not for me. The LCP2 in 380 is the smallest SD pistol I would use. But heck my Shield Plus with 13+1 of 9mm is a perfect all around carry for me.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
So, not sure if right forum. Anyway I have and carry both (not at same time) Taurus G2S and G3C. Tending to prefer the 2S because of it's slightly smaller size and weight. But many times given hot weather and light clothing I find even that one to be uncomfortable. In the quest for something small and light I came across and fell for a Walther PP22Q at my LGS. It feels like the answer to a maiden's prayers (though I have not purchased it). The thing is absolutely perfect in so many ways EXCEPT it's a .22LR and THAT is where I give great pause. I am not sure if being comfortable with that strapped to my side is worth the "risk" of .22 over being uncomfortable with the 9's and them tugging my pants down :D
What is general consensus on carrying a .22LR I see so many pros and cons of this on videos and such. Anyone actually have real world experience on that (and perhaps with this weapon)?
Well, I would trust a .22LR more than I would my fist, but it's still an issue of rimfire versus centerfire. That little .22 solid COULD actually do more damage than you think, especially if it hits a rib bone and bounces around inside a bit, but the ignition is the real issue with a .22LR. A centerfire will have way less of a chance to go "click" than "bang"....not so much a rimfire.

·
Premium Member
5,735 Posts
Oh boy, another caliber war.

If you don't like the .22LR for personal carry, there's always the PT25 or the PT732 or PT738. If you go off-brand, there's the Tomcat (as someone suggested above) and the LCP (as suggested above). I'd never recommend a gun measured in meters, but isn't the GX4 supposed to be a sub-compact or a micro?

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
As I've said many times before, I'd rather hit with a .22 than miss with a .45. If you want something light for pocket carry, try a Ruger LCR in .38spl. 17 ounces unloaded. 5 shots, hidden hammer. Carried in a minimalist cordura holster, it won't make you look like a one sided football player.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
The only gun I've ever carried in my jeans pocket (not a cargo pant pocket) is my Ruger LCP. That's about the minimum caliber I'm willing to trust with my life, and quite frankly about a year ago i made a conscious decision to stop carrying that gun and carry major caliber only - 9mm and up. I carry OWB with a shirt untucked over the rig and that's how I carry in the dead of summer, and in the cold of winter.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah the .22 thing (well rimfire thing) is the reason I did not jump on it immediately. But again this wasn't going to be an EDC. Just primarily when I wanted a really lightweight alternative to not carrying at all. Which is what I do more often than I care to admit.
I have considered looking for a GX4 but when you compare it to the G2S (slim) it's not giving me a whole lot. Weight unloaded is nearly identical and since the GX4 carries more rounds it is actually a penalty over the G2S.
Maybe I will have to look more for a .32 or something. Or lose some (actually a lot) of weight. I am sure if I took off even only 20lbs it would help a lot. Though I need to shed at least 50lbs. I am like a good financial investment. Growing with "maturity"

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
For pocket carry, I prefer to carry a small .380 in a pocket holster. It hides pretty easily especially when wearing light clothing like shorts and T-shirt. I have .22 pistols but feel much more confident with the larger caliber. I carry a Kahr P380 that I have owned for many years but, there are plenty of other makes of similar sized .380s that will fill the bill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If a lightweight revolver is acceptable, you might also consider the LCR in 22LR. Eight round capacity, a Speed Bees speed loader is easy and quick to use for a reload if necessary - but more importantly, rimfire cartridges tend to do better in revolvers than semi autos and in the event that you do have a misfire, just squeeze the trigger again.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Are you talking about the ppq in .22lr or the p-22q or are you talking about the walther pp? My p-22 broke after half a magazine. You can get a regular ppq or p99 in 9mm and a pp in .25 or .32. either way ya ain't stuck with .22lr if you like the gun.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Just an opinion ... a good quality double action revolver in .22 magnum would be an acceptable carry arm for me. It's about skill, ability to place shots and the will to carry out violent action in self defense. Let's not forget that President Reagan almost got killed by a .22 magnum.

Personally, I carry a .357 magnum.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it's a P22Q. Did I initially write PP22? If so my bad. P22Q which is the smaller of the 2. I looked at a PPK in .380. But just did not like it. Very heavy. Heavier than either of my Taurus 9s, VERY stiff slide action. Definitely not something I want to carry

1 - 20 of 120 Posts