Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reload in my basement and have a single bulb overhead and a clamp light pointed at another angle but still can't always see inside the case to verify there's a powder charge and if it looks right. I had mounted one of those single LED lights with the flexible neck (good to use as a bore light) on the turret press with a zip tie and have written about that many moons ago. Well that not such a good deal as it wants to shift or the flexible arm won't stay directed on the area under the turret.

Lowes had an LED flashlight set on sale for 8.00 before Christmas and I grabbed a half dozen to give out as small gifts. I kept one for myself and have found that the headlight works exceptionally well for tasks which require the use of both hands...like reloading. If you have one of this type of headlight or find one at Harbor Freight, Lowes etc, try it out when you're working on the press.

Shop Task Force Handheld LED Flashlight Set at Lowes.com

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I too use a LED flashlight to look down into my cases to check them. The headlamp is a good idea.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I mounted a mini flood/track light over my bench where the loading blocks set. Works with .22 caliber up, under that I check with a flashlight or rod. Like your suggestion will try it.
Never brag about your free light. I had got the track light from a construction demolition. Jury rigged over my bench and it has been great. This old goat has been able to see down in the cases with ease. Turned it on and the thing burned up in the track connection. Talk about Murphy's law kicking in.Just replaced it with an old light socket. Teach me to think I got something special.LOL

·
Super Moderator
36,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool lighting system and doesn't see to be a lot of money with the AC adapter.

I just happened to buy the light set from Lowes and tried out the head lamp (which I'll use for a lot of other things too).

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
actually I got a big metal cabinet that i got all my reloading stuff in, built a wooden shelf with supports under it and cut the center back from the front edge and mounted the press.
this way I can close the doors and lock it if I need/want to.
its 3 feet wide, 24 inches deep, and 78 inches tall.
I have two metal sheleves(came with the cabinet) near the top and i bought 2 strip LED lights(about a foot long) that pivot and mounted them "ALA" magnetic strips, they shine down very nicely onto the bench and pivot if needed, actually I normally only use one, but have the other if I need more light.
I got to check my charged cases before putting that lil lead thingy in the end of them or i can't sleep at night!

·
Administrator
39,888 Posts
Good idea, Czech! I've done everything you have, except the headlight! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
36,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glenwolde's link to the Ebay seller got me thinking and I've been poking around the 'net for a 4-6" LED strip that operates on 12v. I figure I got enough old cell phone chargers that put out 12v DC that the only cost would be the LED strip and some cable ties.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
I boiught a few LED lights a long time ago. Couldn't manage to get them to stay where I wanted, or clearance wasn't there.

I thought about the headlight then, but didn't think it would work. I guess I'll have to check it out.

I don't want to make any costly or time consuming changes to my reloading area because I plan to move later this year. Once I get set-up again, I may consider some type of directional spotlight mounted overhead, above the bench.

·
Registered
591 Posts
see the light brothers, some good ideas too, why pay more, reloaders like saving money, more money to spend on shooting

there is light at the end of the tunnel

·
Super Moderator
36,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maddog, that a nice one...the flex arm is about 3x longer than the one I tried and the LED bulb wouldn't stay in place.

·
Super Moderator
36,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought one some time ago. No other light or flash used when taking picture.
Nice setup, It looks all lit up like Broadway! :D And so clean also....I have to work on mine.

Here's my prior attempt with the single battery LED light.

Light3.jpg Light2.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts