Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range today with one of my Buddy's, we both took a bag full of guns, ammo and other related gear had a great time as usual. We took turns with my little M-85 UL using 140 gn SWC range reloads and ran a hundred through the little bugger without a hitch. I seems to hold fairly tight groups right where you point it at 21', I see a home for it in my vest pocket when riding my Harley. Also ran two hundred rounds through my Bersa Thunder 380 which ran flawlessly. Then came my carry pistol the PT-145, well that sucker would not fire, light strikes that barely dented the primer :( I haven't shot this pistola for several months and here I am carrying around a gun that don't work and betting my life on it. :mad: I'll post this in the Mil-Pro section and see if I cam find some help there.....

·
Registered
327 Posts
There have been quite a number of issues with the PT145 and light primer strikes. I wonder if this is a design issue or weak firing pin springs in the Millennium Pro series. It would be great to hear the thoughts of other Millennium Pro owners out there.

I get occasional light strikes on my PT111 Pro also but only when using range reloads. However, I think this comes down to a batch of low quality and hard primers the range reloader used recently. Previous batches of reloads fired flawlessly. I have had no problems with factory loads and premium factory JHPs as well. Cleaning issues could also be the culprit. Maybe there was some accumulation of dirt or dried up lubricant in the firing pin channel after the last clean and lube done on your PT145. Best try it again after a good clean.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I field stripped it at the range cleaned and re-lubed the critical areas but to no avail. Tried several brands of ammo that would not fire but when put in my friends colt went bang every time. When I got home I took it apart again for a through inspection and cleaning if needed. It seems that the striker is not traveling very far forward and something is blocking it, possibly the key lock safety. I now have the slide assy soaking in powder solvent overnight and I will blow it out with compressed air in the AM and try it again.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If all else fails, take advantage of the Taurus warranty and let the technicians in Miami make it right for you.

Keep us posted on the ultimate outcome of this situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try and remove the striker assembly and clean it up well. I've just done my PT145 and you can't believe the gunk that's in there. I have not had any light strikes on mine but I did the striker clean up as a preventive measure and sure enough I found that it does accumulate lots of crap in it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The one real design flaw of the PT145, and other guns in the PT series, is that the striker is a very tight fit in the slide and there is no vent hole or channel. Any oil that finds its way in through the firing pin hole in the breach face has no clear exit path except to slowly flow out around the striker. Too much oil, or use of a heavy oil that does not flow freely, can cause a hydraulic lock once the trigger is pulled and the pin end of the striker plugs up the hole in the breech face. The short answer is to never oil the striker on the PT series guns, and especially never put a drop of oil down through the firing pin hole. Taurus did a design change with the 24/7 striker and it incorporates a vent channel in the striker. If you pull and clean the striker and reinstall it with no oil it should work fine..

Craig

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I blew out all of the oil and powder solvent in the slide assy reassembled the pistol and dry fired it with a pencil in the barrel, the pencil popped up out of the barrel ( good sign ) so I took the pistol out in the back yard and give it a go ( I live in the country ) . It ran the 10 round mag without a hitch, hmmmm what is up with this shootin iorn anyway.... Well I reckon it's going to become another safe queen untill this is figgured out, glad it's not the only CC pistol that I own.

1.1 USA.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts