Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the range today decided to fire the gun in DA. Had put about 150 rounds thru the gun since new, most in SA. The DA is not too bad a pull but I was getting 2-3 misfires on every cylinder. Have not done any gunsmithing on the gun!!! The 17C is a 8 shot .17 hmr, 4" barrel in SS. I haven"t cleaned the gun since the initial cleaning nor did I take the side plate off. The gun will fire every time in SA but not in DA. I"m going to take a big guess here that it"s not just dirty, but could something be hanging up the firing pin? I"ll wait for a few replys here then ask Taurus to send along a new hammer spring. I did have a PT145 that the recoil spring died after only 50 rounds. I was using Win. and CCI ammo and it didn"t matter if I was staging or pulling straight thru. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure if it will help, but check my post today on Gaucho fail to fire. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I would set it up to dry fire, and concentrate on the hammer action when you DA, look for side to side movement, rub marks on the frame or hammer sides. Also is the hammer coming back as far in DA, as when you set it up for SA. Just what comes to mind here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi--read the post on the Gaucho--Yes the firing pin extends quite a bit further with the trigger back and pushing on the transfer bar with the finger. This may or may not be a problem as the hammer itself has a shelf on it that hits the frame and the misfires only happen in DA. Also, this being a rimfire, it has the most pathetic indentation on the casing of all my rimfires and the indentation is at the very edge and very short. Next time I'm at the range i will mark those cylinders that misfire and see if maybe the strike is too far out to the edge on certain cylinders. I'm also trying to find a rod small enough to test the striking force in both DA and SA. This works on a centerfire but may not on a rimfire. I'll get a new hammer spring from Taurus and if that don't fix it, it will have to be sent back. I'm not good enough to tell if the hammer is coming back further in SA than DA. I would think the release point on the sear would be very close in both cases. Thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, stupid statement on previous post. Just double checked SA vs DA hammer travel and there is a huge difference with the SA being the most. Now, enlighten me as to why this would be!!

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I hope someone with more smithing experience may let you have more insight. It just seemed like the DA hammer might be dropping to quickly. My revolver, comes back almost equally for SA or DA, so I thought you might check that, and gee it could be not giving enough force to strike fully.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
found the problem!! the "main spring plate" part # 43, was tilted down on one side. put it back in correctly and that essentially made the spring stronger. put 50 rounds of CCI thru it in DA without a problem. it also made the pull gritty feeling which was cured with a couple drops of oil. had called taurus before i found the problem, requesting a new spring--they said no!! they don"t sell parts!! whats the story on that? what if a part was to go flying off into God knows where. why have a parts diagram in the manual if the parts aren't available? does anyone have the straight skinny on this?

·
Super Moderator
21,696 Posts
You never know what your going to hear from Taurus. Break Free works good at cleaning out packing grease and dirt and gunk. Just spray tha aresol version and let it wash all the crap out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts