Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since search didn't come up with anything, I'll start a new topic. I have a PT140 that I have been pleased with but now I'm have irregular light primer strikes. The primer has a good sized dent in it and second strike won't fire it either, but putting the round in my Beretta 96 will fire it every time. Any help would be appreciated, at this point I no longer carry the gun since I have lost confidence in it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Try Some Gun Scrubber spray that is polymer safe and bolw it into the firing pin channel. You may have some crud built up in there from factory or dirty ammo. Just a thought. I am learning this stuff myself. This place is great for information on our guns.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
My PT111 had the same problem (among others) sent it back to Taurus. They replaced the trigger spring and adjusted slide, problem solved. It only took two months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
jlentz said:
My PT111 had the same problem (among others) sent it back to Taurus. They replaced the trigger spring and adjusted slide, problem solved. It only took two months.
Since I've been following this site I've noticed numerous posts with members mentioning that Taurus said they "adjusted" the slide. Could someone with more knowledge than myself please explain what the heck Taurus is adjusting. It's a solid machined pc. of steel with a striker/couple springs/barrel in it. They say they adjusted the slide from everything from bad magazines to trigger problems to shooting low!! Sounds like a catch all phrase they like using to sound like they did something.
Also not sure how replacing a trigger spring is supposed to help a weak striker hit?
Sorry Wilson133, wasn't trying to steal your post. Just seen this so often I had to comment on it.

Back to your orginal question - hockeynut has a good suggestion. If your slide is returning completely into battery which I assume it is since your getting a good indention in the primer cleaning the striker channel out is a good idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It makes sense that the firing pin channel might have crud in it. It doesn't start doing it until I've run a mag or so through it, the strike is dead center and the primer well dented, but seemingly just not dented enough. I'll try to get some kind of solvent in there and test it out next week.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow someone actually agreed with me. I can't believe it. I guess I may be learning something here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sig9 said:
Since I've been following this site I've noticed numerous posts with members mentioning that Taurus said they "adjusted" the slide. Could someone with more knowledge than myself please explain what the heck Taurus is adjusting. It's a solid machined pc. of steel with a striker/couple springs/barrel in it. They say they adjusted the slide from everything from bad magazines to trigger problems to shooting low!! Sounds like a catch all phrase they like using to sound like they did something.
I've worked in customer service repair before... When I worked for a computer repair shop, It was policy that all major steps that may affect the outcome of the repair be recorded... Taurus, probably has a similar policy. The repair people have to show everything that was done to that firearm that might affect it... just as if I remove a motherboard from your computer to bench test it and replace the processor. I have to record that I removed the motherboard that way if its put back in wrong they know who did it and know why there mother board is seated in the case awkwardly or with missing screws. If a tech removes the slide to replace the firing mechanism and there is a possibility that they don't place that slide back on properly (not that its hard to do) or they perform a diagnostic to make sure the slide can come back into battery. my point being this is probably representative of something internal that is done to all pistols as a point of quality control or tracking the actions of the person repairing the pistol or all of the above...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I soaked the firing pin with synthetic safe gun scrubber twice last week and then took the gun to the range today. Out of 150 rounds, I had 2 failures to fire. One was the very first round and it fired on the second strike. Gunk in the firing pin channel seems to be the answer, I'll soak it down again this week and do another test.

·
32,576 Posts
Firing pin channels,extractor , and ejector assemblies are areas for grime and grit to accumulate. Even the trigger group can get overllooked. These can all be sources of the troubles as described above.

Toothpicks,small cleaning patches (lightly solvent soaked followed by clean patches), dental picks, or a good blast of solvent in a pressurized can, can work wonders. No lubing the firing pin channels though.

Things normally are up and running after that is done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts