Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Be certain that the gun is clean and properly lubed. A dirty or fouled gun will cause light strikes among other problems. Does the problem occur with all types and makes of ammo? Hand loads using hard primers?

·
Super Moderator
40,918 Posts
Winchester primers have a rep for being soft. Percentage that don't fire? Storage of primers? If you're comfortable with detail stripping the slide, you could pull the striker and FP to clean the channel and examine the FP and bolt hole for damage or irregularities . If not, flush it well with aerosol cleaners and blow it out with compressed air.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Super Moderator
40,918 Posts
Reading your post over again, you speak of hearsay . Are you having issues?

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The primers go off, but they don't look like they were hit very hard. I have stripped and cleaned the firing pin channel
very well. I have also loaded small rifle primers and they too fired. I just don't like the looks of the primers after firing.
The gun is only a couple of weeks old and I bought it new. The primers looked better when I first got it, but now, not
so much. Maybe I'm seeing a problem that really isn't a problem after all.
leadhead

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Rifle primers are much harder than pistol primers and could be the source of your perceived problem. What is wrong with the way your spent primers look? Could you post a photo of the primer and the type primer that it is? As a general rule, if the primer isn’t perforated or flattened (indicating too hot a charge), you are OK.

·
Registered
Guns? What guns?
465 Posts
I'm confused.
All your reloads, including ones loaded with rifle primers, have gone 'boom'.
Yet we're discussing 'light primer strikes' from this pistol.
Let's see some photos for clarification.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The primers go off, but they don't look like they were hit very hard. I have stripped and cleaned the firing pin channel
very well. I have also loaded small rifle primers and they too fired. I just don't like the looks of the primers after firing.
The gun is only a couple of weeks old and I bought it new. The primers looked better when I first got it, but now, not
so much. Maybe I'm seeing a problem that really isn't a problem after all.
leadhead
I don't see a problem. A couple thoughts; first one of the major reasons for "light" primer strikes is poor primer seating (primer movement when hit with firing pin). Also the firing pin/striker channel should be dry. Oil, solvent, etc., can cause "hydraulic blocking", stopping or slowing down firing pin/striker movement and produce light strikes. Normally rifle primers need a heavier strike mainly because heavier/thicker cups are required for rifle pressures vs hand gun pressures. Your gun firing rifle primers? That's a good thing...

Run 1,000 rounds through your gun then see if there is any failures to fire from light primer strikes...

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't make a habit of using rifle primers when I reload... just used them to see if they would
go off. I have used rifle primers in my Ruger Max9 with nary a hitch. I know they have a harder
cup. So, if it will fire with rifle primers, I guess I don't really have a problem. I have about 400
rds thru the pistol so far.
leadhead

·
Registered
37,821 Posts
I have seen reports of light primer strikes in the G2c pistols.
Has anybody figured out why this happens?
leadhead

is this your weapon or are you just asking about what you have heard/read about that model of weapon?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it's my gun.... I bought it on July 18th It fits me like a glove and I'm going to make it my EDC.
Been carrying a Ruger Max9, but I think the G2c has it all over the Max.
leadhead

1 - 12 of 12 Posts