Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've been having an sort of intermittent problem with my 745. It is not consistant with how hard it is hitting the bullet's primer. Now, to be fair, most of my problem is with a particular ammunition, and I think I can just stay away from that one kind. But I do see from time to time that it just doesn't SMACK the primers on some shells as hard as it should, and sometimes results as a misfire with just a little dimple in the primer, the kind that follow-up trigger pulls don't solve!

I'm going to the range Saturday to test, but I did take the striker and spring out of the channel and cleaned them out really, really well. There was a LOT of oil in there and some grit.

Then, I went ahead and got a new firing pin from Taurus, they forgot to send me a new spring, and I installed it with very, very little oil. My hope is that with very little oil in the channel, there won't be any restriction of the firing pin hitting the primer. A stronger firing pin spring would be ideal, but I don't have that right yet.

Anyone else have light primer strikes? Just seems to me that the pin should just strike the CRAP out of all primers. It should be a "more than adequate" strike the pin should give.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The problem with a spring that will "strike the CRAP out of all primers" is the problem that the same spring controls the weight of the trigger. For every guy that complains about a "light strike" there is one complaing about "trigger weight." So Taurus has a tough time balancing the act.

·
32,530 Posts
I do have one question. What ammo were you using at the time of the problem? There are differing reasons for this.

WinClean ammo, Europeon or some Asian ammo, and lead free primer ammo either have harder primers or seem to cause ignition problems in some semi-autos.

Cimarron is correct.

It would be adviseable to remove the any lubricant completely from the firing pin channel. Grime,grit, and debris will collect and either tie up the firing pin or get to a level that will out the gun ought of service while one has to spend a most difficult time trying to clean out a considerable mess. Time consuming, frustrating, and plenty of scrubbing are all in the works.

The gun might not fire when needed most to save your life or others due to crud buildup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ones that would'nt fire consistantly were Double Tap 165gr JHP. I had two other Double Tap boxes with me, 200gr and 185gr, no problems with either of those!

Anywho, I did clean out the pin channel really REALLY well, and blew it out with high air pressure. That coupled with a new firing pin, hopefully has solved the issue. This Saturday, I'll test it at the range and let everyone know!

·
32,530 Posts
chad745 said:
Then, I went ahead and got a new firing pin from Taurus, they forgot to send me a new spring, and I installed it with very, very little oil. My hope is that with very little oil in the channel, there won't be any restriction of the firing pin hitting the primer. that right yet.
This is why I posted what I did about the firing pin channel. It seemed like oil is or was in the channel after you made the change.

Double Tap does have issues in smaller compact pistols. That is some of there ammo has in other manufacturer's makes and models that are similar to yours in size and function. This is just inherent to small compact pistols. Not a bad ammo or bad gun function.
In otherwords your experience with some of the ammo and the function trouble is normal for this type of size pistol. Even Colt Officer's and Para Ordnances have had this trouble. So you are not alone.

These small pistols are ammo sensitive and fussy about what they are fed.

So some experimentation with other ammo is called for . Or just use what you know functions now in the 745.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Light Primer strikes on PT745 - UPDATE

OK, just got back from the range today. Here is the status of my gun. It will not reliably feed Blazer brass. They either won't feed, or get stuck halfway up into the tube. I even buffed the top of them to smooth them out just in case they were binding on the feed ramp...no change. I took some WWB and Georgia Arms FMJ, and never had any problems with them. Finally, after replacing the firing pin, I am STILL unable to smack the primers on the Double Tap 165gr hard enough. Out of the total box of 50, at least half of them were failure to fire! But no ther DT ammo, or any other ammuntion give me this problem.

So...

No Blazer brass, and no DT 165gr. I gotta say though, everyting else went off withought a hitch! Now that I know what my little PT745 doesn't like, I think I'm gonna be OK!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Chad,
I've had some issues with my 745 also. When I first got it, one magazine would feed anything I put in it, the other didn't feed worth a hoot. I sent the bad mag back to Taurus and they sent me a new one. That one now feeds great also. After about 300 rounds though, I'm having a problem with my slide catch. It actually slips out of the notch in the slide. In other words, looking at the rear of the gun, the slide catch moves over far enough to the left to come out of the notch. I can't figure out what is causing it and I not having much luck getting anyone to respond to my queries here on the forum. I guess no one else has the problem. The only thing I can see that looks strange is the slide catch spring. It looks bent to me. When I remove the slide and look down at it, it appears to be bent towards the inside of the frame and I think it should be straight. What does yours look like?

I really like this little gun. It feeds ball ammo great and is surprisingly accurate for a sub-compact pistol. I need to get it fixed, but I hate spending $50 bucks to send it back to Taurus overnight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
(With deference to and fear of reprisal from....)

While mine is a PT145, I've been having the same light primer hits since I got my gun. I sent it back to Taurus and they replaced the striker and captive spring assembly. That improved the situation to maybe one failure to fire every 50 rounds (plus or minus).

Following Cimarron's excellent instructions for disassembly, I cleaned the channel well, and tried with it dry and then lubed with Tri-Flow.... disaster! Back to failing several times with each magazine full.

Now I'm stumped too, and hoping for additional feedback that might solve the problem.

While I understand the strength of the spring affects trigger pull, I'd gladly trade a heavier pull for 100% reliability!

Oh yeah, I documented the ammo when I sent the PT145 to Taurus...
- Remington 230 grain Jacketed Hollow Point (L45ACP7B)
- Olin 230 grain Ball M1911 military ammo (WCC73 headstamp)
- Winchester 230 grain Full Metal Jacket (Q4170), and others.

I've also used two different reloads with Winchester and Remington primers with the same results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts