Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New PT1911AL fails to set off the primer about 10% of the time. Tried 3 different brands of ammo so far, Winchester, Blaser, and American Eagle. Primers from fired rounds seem to be lightly hit also. Being unreliable makes it a paper weight.

Explained the problem to CS, they will not pick up the pistol. Cost me $90 to FedEx overnight to Taurus.

Hope it gets fixed. 90% of the time it shot good.

·
Super Moderator
37,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. Did you detail strip the slide to flush out the FP channel and look for obvious problems such as a burr on the FP?

A new firearm from the dealer should be totally warrantied, to include shipping both ways, within *three* months of the purchase. What reason did they give you to deny that service? Do you have any photos of the spent cases showing the primer strikes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome Czechbikr. Had firing pin out to clean the channel and measure oal. All looked good. My best guess is a head space problem. Don't have gages to check.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
1 Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

It only takes a few seconds to check the head space on a 1911, maybe your LGS can do that for you.

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
Light strikes can be from a multitude of things ranging from dirt in the firing pin channel to a weak hammer spring. I am sure Taurus will correct the problem. The PT1911 is a fine gun and you will enjoy many hours of fun with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PT 1911 back from Taurus today. Two week turn around, pretty good. They replaced the firing pin, sear, and extractor rod as damaged. The hammer spring was replaced because it became weak. The firing pin block was replaced as broken or cracked. Safety was not working as the safety pin was bent, replaced also.

Seems like a lot of parts to replace after only 230rds.

Will shoot next week to ascertain the quality of repair. Gone Turkey hunting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts