Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone elase experience misfires/light hits on the primer on their Tracker in 44mag.It's a 5 shot 2" barrel version Tracker. I'm reloading with Winchester primers and don't know if the primers are extra hard, or, if it's light hits from the hammer or what???

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
Winchester primers are quite soft. CCI is the hard ones. Are you seating the primers all the way down in the pocket? High primers can cause misfires. Does it cap factory ammo fine?

·
Registered
275 Posts
You could try what I was told to do by a gunsmith machinist friend.

On my model 441 in .44 special I had the same problem, was using mostly Winchester primers.

He advised taking the grips off and inserting a small washer to fit on the coil spring stem above the bottom bushing next to the spring itself.

After you've done this, put some CCI primers in your brass cases without powder or bullets and test fire them...if they all work good...your set.

Picture shows this area but without the washer inserted yet. Do try it, it worked for me...and I can even use the harder to indent RP primers and they fire.

TB C45

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had this issue with my 357 mag Titanuim Tracker. I wanted a better feeling trigger and got a Wolfe Spring kit but kept gettin' light primer strikes with the lighter springs. So I put the factory spring back in but it wouldn't set off them CCI primer loads. So with it dissasembled I got to thinkin. I knew it seemed like a spring issue, but I been messin' with the wrong one (hammer spring). I decided to take out the pin that hold the firing pin and took a look at the firing pin return spring. It seemed a bit big for just functioning to return the firing pin back into the firing pin channel. Also seemed like when I pushed the firingpin all the way in the wasn't much comin' out the other side where it would smack a primer.
So what did I do? I clipped 1.5 coil from the booger and that seemed to be the issue. No more light primer strikes and none with a extra light Wolfe Hammer Spring either. Feels a wee bit slicker than my Ol' well used Ruger GP-100.
*Just take off that side plate, use right sized screw driver.
*Up by the hammer you'll see a little pin sickin' out the hold the firing pin and firing pin return spring in there.
* Take it out and the firing pin + firing pin return srping.
* Clip 1 to 1 and half coils off of the firing return spring. Little wire cutters will work good.
*Reassemble.
* take that puppy out and give it a whirl.

I don't know why Taurus that thick of a firing pin return spring. It prevents the full firing pin head from engaging the primer. Seems like they would realize it since it appears to be a common issue with some of their revolvers. Eh, go figure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tracker Backer and chewybaca I did both of your suggestions.It fixed the problem.It fires on every kind of primer I have including CCI. Thankyou very much.
Anyone else having the same problems... this is the FIX.

I probably should have done 1 fix at a time and tried it to see which one worked for my problem.But, since I had the gun apart I decided to do both.Oh well hind sight!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts