Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I buy new I look for a lifetime warranty. The reason is being retired on a fixed income ammo considerations. I don't get to the range but maybe once a month. I have 5 rifles and 7 handguns and don't put lots of rounds thru them. So if something is going to break down the road I probably have missed out on the warranty by time. This is what attracted me to Taurus. With their new 1 year only warranty I'm not sure any more.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Taurus hurt themselves building all those junk Guns that they had to do warranty work on and are now having to replace them because most are UN-repairable.
They should have stuck to making Steel and Aluminum Guns such as the PT1911, PT92 and revolvers, all those badly designed plastic Guns have them on the verge of bankruptcy due to warranty repairs and lawsuits.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
My 2¢ for what it is worth.

Let's see what Taurus does with this new 1 Year warranty. Perhaps they are tired of fixing guns on their dime that others try to fix themselves first. Change the new models to 1 year warranty and start charging these people that try to fix it themselves first. If a model comes in for repair after the 1 year warranty is up and it is a true manufacture defect will Taurus step up and repair it for free outside of the 1 year? That is the real question. If Taurus was smart the would step up and take care of the issue.

Reactions: MoMan and uphill

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm on a fixed income also,from what I see we are in the same boat.I still think that Taurus is the best bang for the buck regardless the warranty.It's tough when you have to buy everything by price being first consideration.I wouldn't let the warranty block my purchase.The taurus I have work perfectly and I couldn't afford anything else.Just go shoot when you can and enjoy life.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2¢ for what it is worth.

Let's see what Taurus does with this new 1 Year warranty. Perhaps they are tired of fixing guns on their dime that others try to fix themselves first. Change the new models to 1 year warranty and start charging these people that try to fix it themselves first. If a model comes in for repair after the 1 year warranty is up and it is a true manufacture defect will Taurus step up and repair it for free outside of the 1 year? That is the real question. If Taurus was smart the would step up and take care of the issue.
I agree they needed to scale back. I'm all for not fixing a gun that has been tampered with. They could have at least gave a lifetime warranty to the original owner.

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
First off, I don't think Taurus ever built any "Junk Guns". Yes, there have been some issues along the manufacturing way, a hiccup or two and some poor decisions made by management. But no junk?

As for the lifetime warranty. I don't agree with the Lifetime warranty going in to default to a 5 year warranty period due to discontinuing a model. At least not when the discontinued model is being replaced with a like model with very little changes other than what would be to Taurus benefit in warranty claims. IE: The Taurus PT809 being relabeled as the PH9. The PH9 brings only a few minor changes to the over all scheme such as delete the keyed safety, grip design, and magazine fitment, yet this allows Taurus to now place a 5 year warranty limitation on what was a Lifetime warranty on the PT809.

Personally I swore to purchase no more Taurus products due to these latest changes. Since this swearing off of Taurus product I have purchased two Taurus pistols. One was a pre-owned 44 magnum in Titanium, the other being a Taurus Curve with the light and V laser setup which was price driven auction purchase...IE: I drove the price too high....haven't we all at one time or another?

Taurus need to man up and stand behind those who have stood behind them. Or as the song goes "You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything"

·
Super Moderator
37,996 Posts
If I didn't have a PT 111 G2 already and wanted one I would probably look to buy a lightly used G2 as opposed to a new G2C for that reason alone...however, that said, any warranty repair after the first four months or so of buying a new gun goes back to be fixed on the owner's dime. That is anywhere from 28-50 dollars freight. Considering that a new PT 111 G2C (or a used G2) can be bought on sale for under 200 bucks it hardly makes sense to even ship them back. If it breaks, buy another and turn the broken one in for a hundred buck WalMart card when the grabbers run a buyback program.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I must disagree, Taurus has made some junk guns. The polymer PT22 comes to mind-I've seen more that won't run than will. They tend to discontinue successful models (PT 92C) and push iffy stuff. I'd like to see them return focus to their successes-steel and wood built with care. A 1 year warranty would do, if they did that. My only "new" Taurus is a G2c, I bought it to carry riding. It works well, but I'm a bit reluctant to put many rounds thru it. And while I'm whining, the little 380 they made that complemented the 92 so well-where did it go? It must have made money, others copied it. The used to make very nice revolvers, too-I have several in the safe. Now they tend to look like they were made in a blacksmiths shop.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
The problem with a "lifetime warranty" is in the definition of the word "lifetime". The lifetime of the weapon, of the product line, or...? While we can debate what we think it means, until the company issues a definitive statement it means whatever the person on the other end of the phone says it means.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
All guns sold through Davidson's Gallery of guns come with a lifetime warranty, even Taurus pistols. I don't usually buy through them, but it might be a good idea for buying guns with extremely limited warranties.

·
Registered
220 Posts
1 year warranty is so stupid. They'll shoot themselves in their own feet (pardon the pun). If it would be 5 years... but 1 year?

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
All guns sold through Davidson's Gallery of guns come with a lifetime warranty, even Taurus pistols. I don't usually buy through them, but it might be a good idea for buying guns with extremely limited warranties.
I have purchased quite a few weapons through Davidsons.
I have a Davidsons Dealer here that under sales every gun shop around on the same weapon by 50-100 bucks usually.
I bought my Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match in 38 Super (750) and 10 MM (825) from them and a couple of 1911.s.
never had a minutes problem and there is the lifetime warranty if you need it.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
Lifetime warranties…
When I was 30 I bought Craftsman tools.

Now I buy Harbor Freight.

Either way, I have a lifetime warranty. I'm just no longer worried about 50 years from now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also think Taurus wants to limit the purchase of used guns. You could take a chance on a used one and if there was a problem send it to Taurus. On your dime probably but if one got it at a good price they might take a chance. I would. I could see the reasoning of this but don't penalize the original owner.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If I didn't have a PT 111 G2 already and wanted one I would probably look to buy a lightly used G2 as opposed to a new G2C for that reason alone...however, that said, any warranty repair after the first four months or so of buying a new gun goes back to be fixed on the owner's dime. That is anywhere from 28-50 dollars freight. Considering that a new PT 111 G2C (or a used G2) can be bought on sale for under 200 bucks it hardly makes sense to even ship them back. If it breaks, buy another and turn the broken one in for a hundred buck WalMart card when the grabbers run a buyback program.
If a gun is returned using the US Postal Service then the shipping is cheaper (past experience) than using Fed-ex or UPS. BUT you have to be a dealer or have a FFL to ship with them. I think this still holds true. It has been several years since my new PT709 was returned by the dealer over 3 times for stovepipes until Taurus gave up and sent a replacement. It has never failed once. So when I got a new G2 a few months ago, I tried to make it fail with every load and bullet style i could find. Good news. It ran perfect, and with a laser, is my EDC.

·
Super Moderator
37,996 Posts
If a gun is returned using the US Postal Service then the shipping is cheaper (past experience) than using Fed-ex or UPS. BUT you have to be a dealer or have a FFL to ship with them. I think this still holds true. It has been several years since my new PT709 was returned by the dealer over 3 times for stovepipes until Taurus gave up and sent a replacement. It has never failed once. So when I got a new G2 a few months ago, I tried to make it fail with every load and bullet style i could find. Good news. It ran perfect, and with a laser, is my EDC.
Exactly right on the FFL..I had a friend with a range and FFL who sent it back USPS at cost. DIY that way on a handgun and expect BIG trouble if caught. You are absolutely correct in that the clock starts running on the factory warranty and return shipping when it is transferred. The best advice is to shoot the heck out of them within a few months. A private individual can ship a long gun via USPS to an FFL.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Kel-Tec?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts