Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is so much better. Who else has dumped pay TV?

It's going on one year since we cut the cable and not once have either my wife or I regretted it. Never really thought about the savings until my wife mentioned it yesterday. Over $1700 and we never watched it that much anyway, what a waste of money. I installed an antenna ($25) on the house about the same time and am amazed at the number of channels that come in and some of the great old programs that are on. Tonight we were watching the Ed Sullivan Show from 1969 and the Jackson 5. Hard to believe such a talented Michael Jackson got so screwed up and died so young. Tomorrow night's show has on the Animals. Can't wait to watch the episodes with the Beatles, Elvis, the Doors and the Stones. Life back then was so simple and such a great time to be alive.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Dumped cable TV years ago, now only have internet and phone through the cable company. Just could not see paying for channels I did not watch (CNN, ESPN, PMSNBC, others), however, I did appreciate the clear signal on many channels. Eventually, I found my TV watching going down to just a few channels, and those came through clear on an antenna. Saved quite a bit by dropping cable TV.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Into my third year without cable - antenna only. Do have Prime & NetFlix. Enjoying the money saved and pissing off on other wasteful things. Also dropped Vonage VoIP today and changed to magicJack GO VoIP for about 10x cheaper than Vonage.

Reactions: funflyer

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Don't have cable T.V., i I can find anything I want to watch online or through free channels over the air/internet.
I don't miss out on anything.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
we cut the cabl two and a half years ag ad haven't looked back.

The breathess interrution every five minutes from ne of the talking heads with "BREAKING NEWS" that we have heqrd regurgitated in endless variety and endlessly for the past day-and-a-half just got to us.

The decision was easy.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I cut the cable last month. Still have the net.
Most all I ever watch is through a streamer anyway....neither cable nor satellite are worth the money.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I dropped Cable TV about 3 years ago.
It priced itself out of my price range.
It was costing me $100 month for 90 minutes of TV a week.
Now just watch reruns on ROKU. It comes through on my internet free.
I don't get the pay channels now or before when I had cable tv.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I dropped satellite TV a couple of years ago and don't miss it a bit ! It was way overpriced !

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's sad that satellite companies won't give you a better deal on their service to keep you as a customer, but as soon as you drop them they call and send better offers continuously.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We're retired and we're keeping our satellite TV. If we ever get short on money we might think about dropping it but in the meantime we're keeping it. There's quite a bit of stuff that we watch on it.

We enjoy the History Channels, The Smithsonian Channel, The Southeastern Conference College Sports Channel, AHC Channel, and ME TV that has a lot of old shows like the Twilight Zone, Perry Mason and Alfred Hitchcock. We also enjoy the ESPN channels for college sports and boxing (no pro football, basketball or baseball). We like all the animal channels too and the weather channels. So for us it's worth the money.

Speaking of antennas on the roof. I can still remember my dad climbing on the roof to adjust the reception and he and my mom hollering back and forth. "Turn it just a little more, no that's to far" Dad would holler out "what did you say" Mom would yell louder turn it a little more to your left". Dad would still be hollering "what did you say". Then they'd decide they need a middle man to translate which would be me standing at the open door hollering up and relaying mom's instructions to dad and then relaying dad's cursing back to mom without the curse words. :D

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Wife dropped DirectTV when she realized she could get the same channels she watched elsewhere. $250/mo back into the budget, and she doesn't miss it.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
214 Posts
We don’t have television at all, cable or otherwise. Watch movies, tv series on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Hate the fact that by doing so, we are supporting left wing corporations, but for us the only game in town. I wish there was a conservative media company would begin streaming the type of shows we would like to watch.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I cut the cable about 3 years ago. Cancelled Netflix about 1 year ago. If I want to watch something I use a Roku box, otherwise the TV almost never gets used any more.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Turned our cable off 2 years ago and don't miss any of it, especially the $130 a month bill, we have internet and watch roku and prime, and I splurged and added ESPN+ to the roku so I can see some boxing, college sports, soccer and mixed martial arts. I haven't watched a NFL, NBA, baseball or Nascar in years since there has been so much rule changes, cheating, and whining of over paid millionaire's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Dumped pay TV in 1995 and never looked back. No idea how much I've saved and still managed to blow on other things.

·
Super Moderator
40,407 Posts
Add me to the list. I cut the cable around March of 2017, figured at some point I would join Sling or something similar. Never did. Don't miss paying for programming at all. I find legal ways to watch the things I want to watch through streaming for free.

I have an antenna that worked great for local channels up until a little over 2 years ago. After Hurricane Irma I lost all my channels except for a few Spanish channels that are broadcast from closer by. I was on the fringe of how far the signals reach, for some reason after he hurricane the signals quit reaching this far.

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
We cut the cord 5 years ago. Got a Roku box. I watch mainly youtube and netflix. We also have hulu, amazon and disney. But I pay for youtube so I don't have to watch the commercials.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
We finally dumped cable TV in November.. We get about 20 channels over local antenna and radio stations through the TV.. Waste less time watching nothing...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts