Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
I continually read and hear comments that a police officer only needs to run your license plate and he will know you carry. This doesn't make any sense to me. In Texas your CHL is linked to your drivers license only. It is not linked to your plates. If it were, to my way of thinking, anyone driving any vehicle you own would be suspect of carrying. Now, do you know with any certainty that your state links CHL to license plate? If so explain. Texas CHL instructors are up front with this issue. My wife retired from Texas DPS and it was so then and I have spoken with some communications personnel at DPS and it is still so today. :???: :drool:

Registered
I have to agree with you, Smoke. I do not believe that
the 'Powers That Be' would go so far as to link ccw with
license plates.

Premium Member
Well it could be silly, but think about it this way.

If they run the plates, it kicks out your name, and your drivers license record, which is tied to your CHL, CCW or what ever.

Now wouldn't it show up from running your plates. Just my Opinion!!

Registered
Depending upon the State, I belive it's a matter of "is it true" v.s. "could it be true". The answer to "could it" is defintely "yes". In other words, it is technologically easy to accomplish via extracting the information from a relational database which marries the "licensee" to the "vehicles owned" data elements in a many-to-one relationship. The answer to "is it" depends on whether or not the State has implemtned this level of data interactivity. I'm sure many have, and many have not -- yet.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #5
But the plates don't necessarily even place you within 100 miles of that vehicle. Could be your grandma or anybody else.

What I'm really gettin' at Robby, is whether anyone knows of a state that actually practices this method, or is this just speculation?

Heard a fella say the other day (claiming this was done in Texas) that it gave a police officer a heads up on approaching a vehicle during a traffic stop. Well, way back when I was a police officer, my training dictated that every violator contact was to be approached with caution and readiness. I'm sure NYPD in AZ will agree. :zzz:

Registered
Smokewagon said:
Heard a fella say the other day (claiming this was done in Texas) that it gave a police officer a heads up on approaching a vehicle during a traffic stop. Well, way back when I was a police officer, my training dictated that every violator contact was to be approached with caution and readiness. I'm sure NYPD in AZ will agree. :zzz:
Agree 100%. EVERY CAR STOP IS DANGEROUS....PERIOD.
As far as linking the plates with CCW, that is not practiced in Arizona or New York. Reason being as Smokewagon stated---the registered owner is not necessarily the person operating the vehicle. Permits, warrants and such are identified when the operator's drivers license is checked. Only thing a plate is good for is to identify if the vehicle is stolen or the registration is expired.

Registered
I don't think it's your License Plate so much as it is your SS number. When a Cop runs your plates they run the owners Name and Driving Record. When it comes up on the Screen they get Owner of car, Driving Record, Wants and Warents and it tells if they have a CCW Permit. If there is any Police out there, Am I correct?

Registered
I'm not a LEO or a lawyer but I was told in my CCW class last year that here in Michigan they do know as soon as they run your plate. What I do not know is if it shows up if the car is in my wife's name, it is, and I am driving.

Either way I am going to tell the man (or woman) who pulls me over anyway so I don't know why it matters. As the LEOs here have already said pulling someone over is a very dangerous part of the job for them and they should act as if every driver is until they know different.

Registered
I was told by my ccw instructor that the leos know by running your plates. So yeah they run the plates, your name comes up, and they know.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #11
paulrabe78, what state are you in?

Registered
paulrabe78 said:
I was told by my ccw instructor that the leos know by running your plates. So yeah they run the plates, your name comes up, and they know.
Yes, it will link the plate to the registered owner which will link to any warrants or permits that the registered owner may have.

My point is: WE DON'T CHECK FOR CCW PERMITS THROUGH PLATES SINCE WE DON'T KNOW WHO IS DRIVING THE VEHICLE WHEN WE ARE RUNNING THE PLATE. Take my word, everything on an individual is verified using information from the driver license, not the vehicle.

Registered
I live in Missouri. My CCW instructers were leo's We have a choice to have the CCW on our drivers license or we can get an seperate ID card. They stated that they will know about the CCW when they run the plate in Missouri. I agree with NYPD in AZ that this does not mean the CCW carrier is the driver.

Both Leo instructors did state that when they find out the vehicle is registered to a CCW holder that they are more at ease as they know we went through a thourough background check recently. This may not be the correct way for them to think as NYPD stated. Anyone could be in the vehicle and not the registered owner.

I really do not care one way or the other if they tie it to the vehicle plates. They are going to end up asking for your drivers license anyway when you are stopped. If your grandmother is the driver that day it , it would not make any difference.

I appreciate the LEO's that taught the class as they put alot of my ill feelings I had about getting my CCW permit to rest. I was worried that I would be treated differently that a NON CCW HOLDER. I was happey to hear that they really respect everyone that takes the time to go through the training and background checks and would rather be in the company of a CCW holder than one without.

JUST MY $.02

Premium Member
Well I took my CCW course today! One of the statement made by the instructor, was that in KY, if the vehicle is registered in your name, it will show that there is a concealed permit registered. He suggested that anyone driving your vehicle should know the rules of what to do if stopped, hands on wheel, engine off, night time turn on the interior lights, and flashers. A non permit holder should advise the officer, that they are not a permit holder, and that there is no gun in possession of the driver (be sure there is no gun left in the vehicle by you, when you let them use the vehicle).

So that is the latest from my end on this subject.

Registered
Retired cop here. CHL classroom instructors know the laws regarding concealed carry and use of force, but unless they are former LEO's I doubt they know much about police procedure. My guess is when they make those statements, they are using a verbal shortcut. Simply running a license plate will not automatically show CCW permit holder information. When an officer makes an inquiry about a person, as opposed to a vehicle, is where the records / warrant / CCW info comes up.

Premium Member
Well, not going to challenge any present or retired LEO on what they do or did.
The guy giving my training is on the board of the state concealed carry organization, and several other state and USA shooting organizations. Also he is one of the trainers now for the airline pilots who are continuing to become concealed carry officers on our AC. from what I had heard before I believe they do get the information. Now what the individual officer might or might not look at in a traffic stop when it comes up, I sure as heck do not know. Just that the information comes up off the license registration of the vehicle, and the owner.
I sure am not gonna question any officer about it if he stops me.

Registered
Robby said:
I sure am not gonna question any officer about it if he stops me.
Me neither. Just hand them your ccw with your license. It will make both of you feel more at ease.

Registered
I have waited to weigh in on this thread because even in my own state I have received conflicting information. First of all, I have not been pulled over by a LEO for 25+ years so I have limited experience in that aspect.

Regardless, my CCW carrying neighbor suggested I get my CCW permit because if I ever did get pulled over, as soon as my plate was run the LEO would know I have my CCW, which means I have had a thorough background check. He said he was pulled over and the LEO already knew he had his CCW. He felt he was treated much more friendly because of it and was let off with a warning to slow down.

Conversely, my LEO CCW instructor said they do NOT know just by running your plate and to never assume they somehow otherwise know you have a CCW permit. He advised we always include the CCW permit along with the drivers license. It is better to error on the side of caution.

So IMO, the real answer is the one I always heard as a kid, "It depends."

Premium Member
paulrabe78 said:
Me neither. Just hand them your ccw with your license. It will make both of you feel more at ease.
VegasGuy said:
So IMO, the real answer is the one I always heard as a kid, "It depends."
Yep, the best way, in most everybody's opinion is have your drivers and CCW ready, inform as required, and of course after that point follow the LEO's directions as to how to proceed.
I know my trainer, and couple officers said to not be fumbling around in the seat, during or after the stop. recommended to shut off your engine, if nite time turn on flashers and interior lights (so you can be seen well), then keep your hands at 11 & 1 o clock on the wheel. That is my plan to and I am stuck with it.
My wife has been told to keep her hands on the wheel and all the other and when my CCW comes in a month or so, to inform an officer that she does not carry, and there is no gun in the car. "of course that will all change if she gets the training, and her gun". :rolleyes: Oh she does drive a car that is registered in my name, instead of the one that actually belongs to her. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts