Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I visited my local gun store this morning. Sad to say, the donuts that were a staple of past Saturday mornings over the years, are no more. It seems that most of the dozen brought by one of the staff were still sitting in the box on Monday morning. Those of us old regulars who consider ourselves donut aficionados are fewer in number of late. The younger help behind the counter these days just don't appreciate good, quality food when it's presented to them. The supplier decided to stop bringing them. :sad2:

A few of the firearms I saw this morning that stick in my mind.

Winchester Model 12 16 gauge pump action shotgun - $350. :clap: This is in great condition. Wood furniture is really good, only a few nicks. The bluing is solid and deep except on the left side of the barrel near the muzzle. My guess is that it spent part of its life in a pickup truck or the trunk of a car, with the stock and chamber area resting on towels or old coats or something, but with the muzzle resting on a sometimes-damp floor of some kind. The rest of its life was in a closet - I could see the dust and closet lint in the chamber area that strongly hints that this was the case. The action is just as slick as the day it was sold new. If my budget allowed, it'd probably be in my safe right now.

Carl Gustaf Swedish 6.5 x 55 bolt action rifle in original furniture - $650. :biggrin: Wow. This is an outstanding example. Everything is tight and slick and well preserved. No one working the store this morning has any idea how the store owner came upon this old rifle, he just put it on the back wall display a few days ago without saying a word. If my budget allowed, it'd DEFINITELY be in my safe right now.

Mauser K98 8mm bolt action, sporterized - $180. Sporterized with cheap wood furniture, where the butt is too short and the forearm is almost too skinny. The German markings have been buffed off of the top of the chamber. The whole thing was painted in a melancholy olive drab green with a paint brush. :icon_cussing: This K98 has been sitting in the used rifle rack for over a year. I look at it every time I go there. It just begs to be taken home, stripped down and refinished. It is, after all, an original K98. So far, I've managed to resist the temptation. So far . . .

(No picture. It's too ugly.
)

Nazi Germany Mauser K98 8mm with markings, made in 1945. Sporterized, but a much better quality stock than the one listed above, reminiscent of what Remington used to put on their 700s back in the day. Includes Tasco scope and mount professionally secured to the left side of the bolt housing. A very nice rifle that is listed in Gunbroker. If you want to see a picture, the seller is Bulldog Firearms in Rio Rancho, NM. (Friendly pitch only, I am not associated with them in any way . . . other than eating their donuts, if they ever come back.)

Stevens 30-30 bolt action with removable box magazine. :unsure: I think it was listed at around $400. Nice condition, not something I particularly want, but it sticks in my mind for not having seen one before.

Usually, when I visit my LGS I'll see the same old plastic stocked stuff week after week. It's rare that a bunch of newcomers show up, unless the store owner scores on an estate sale.

Of those listed, the two I want most are the Winchester Model 12 16 gauge and the Carl Gustaf Swedish 6.5 x 55.

Of the two, I'd pick the Swedish first. :yeahbaby01: The fact that two of my grandparents immigrated from Sweden, and my last name might be Gustafson, has absolutely nothing to do with it. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
35,522 Posts
That price on the Model 12 is really good, much lower than I value mine at. Maybe that reflects the softness of the gun market.

Get that ugly duckling and make it a swan...probably a C note puts in in your shop.

·
Registered
18,480 Posts
:blink:...did ya' happen to see the barrel grade on the pie plate?! That rifle is e'zakly like my 1903...:unsure:...'cept the stock's in better shape. If you're gonna' shoot donut holes with that, you're gonna' have to be doin' it at over 500 yds or it ain't a challenge.

·
21,931 Posts
No one is eating donuts? Civilization is doomed. Not America, not our civilization, all civilization.

Hysterical, hyperbolic rant over. On to the guns.

Nice shotgun. Very cool. The Gustav looks nice too.

That abused Mauser might be interesting if it's tight, but I bet you'd spend 3x the purchase price or more getting it back to reasonable condition.

I scoured gunbroker for that '45, but can't find it. But I don't think I'd have something with Nazi markings in my house. Which is completely irrational, since I have a rifle manufactured while Josef Stalin was in power, and he was at least as much of a butcher as Hitler.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
Very Interesting selection! :cool: It's often interesting to see what's in many Gunshops!

I just sold off a Model 12 in 16 gauge for $300 to my favorite LGS, as I had no use for that gauge. Almost all of my Shotguns are in 12 gauge, save for one collectible Winchester Single Shot in .410.
The price on that Swedish Mauser is astounding, given what those Mil-Surps used to sell for.
I had been tempted to pick one up, but being a fan of the 7x57mm Mauser, I never did.

I once had a 98K Mauser, made in 1936, before WWII, and sold it off to fund another project. I should have kept it.
Glad I have kept my WWII Mauser made Luger and Walther P38.

No one is eating donuts? Civilization is doomed. Not America, not our civilization, all civilization.
The end is Near! :eek:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Kids these days are ridiculous. They say there's nothing wrong with being heavy, yet they are apparently so terrified of gaining any weight that they won't eat even the smallest amount of anything fattening, save for the stuff that is marketed as being healthy but actually isn't. Apparently they've either never heard the phrase; "Everything in moderation" or otherwise lack the self-control to stop.

That Winchester Model 12 is gorgeous and the price is outstanding! I don't care for the rifle, especially if it's Nazi marked.

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
Well, Gus. Being retired has it's consequences, and being able to spend more time at gun stores also has it's consequences.

Lots of TEMPTATION!

In your delima, I would opt for the Sweedish 6.5, even if your name wasn't Gus!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts