Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a few weeks ago that one of the LGS was closing its doors. I found out today that 3 other stores have closed in the last 2 weeks! All 4 are in Melbourne, Fl. Two of the stores were, supposedly, owned by the same guy. One of them had a 8 lane indoor shooting range and the other had a indoor bow range.

The 2 store owner has posted that the new owner will be opening a new place with indoor shooting range. So I see 4 closing and 1 opening! Really? This is good for the consumer?

None of them ever looked like they were lacking for business but then I didn't get to see their "books"! I hope the closings are not a matter of doing business becoming more of pain in the neck than it was worth.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Darbo, it's tough out there for small businesses, and having 4 locations does not quadruple the income -only the overheads! It is indeed sad for everyone involed when something like this happens. I can't imagine what their insurance premiums were like!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I read a few weeks ago that one of the LGS was closing its doors. I found out today that 3 other stores have closed in the last 2 weeks! All 4 are in Melbourne, Fl. Two of the stores were, supposedly, owned by the same guy. One of them had a 8 lane indoor shooting range and the other had a indoor bow range.

The 2 store owner has posted that the new owner will be opening a new place with indoor shooting range. So I see 4 closing and 1 opening! Really? This is good for the consumer?

None of them ever looked like they were lacking for business but then I didn't get to see their "books"! I hope the closings are not a matter of doing business becoming more of pain in the neck than it was worth.

Time will tell.

I see an opportunity for you.....

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darbo, it's tough out there for small businesses, and having 4 locations does not quadruple the income -only the overheads! It is indeed sad for everyone involed when something like this happens. I can't imagine what their insurance premiums were like!
Two of the stores were owned by one person. The other 2 were each owned individually. But yes the insurance for the store than had the indoor pistol had to have HUGE insurance bills!

I will say that I had stopped shooting at the indoor range once I started reloading since they wouldn't allow reloads in there. The only time I would go was if I just wanted to shoot with my GSG 1911/22.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The guys at the LGS with an indoor range here is town are always grumbling about cash flow. Prices have gone up over the past 10 years (which I discovered much to my chagrin, when I resumed reloading after a nine-year hiatus). Those on limited budgets cannot afford to buy components, which is unfortunate. Our town can support one, maybe two gun stores but not much more.

Reactions: darbo

·
22,034 Posts
Boy, if you can't make money with today's gun sales rates...

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,876 Posts
Yes just as soon as I win the lottery! Although I did win a total of $14 last week!
WaHoo! There's 150 rounds for the GSG :D

·
22,034 Posts
A gun store is more of a passion business than a money making business. Overhead, insurance and Bud's will eventually put you out of business.
Yeah, actually I bet that's right.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i tried selling accessories and although I made money it wasn't enough to open up a store. I basically became Avon for men and sold person to person. I wanted to get into firearms but it was just too much. What I learned was that the only way to make serious money was to be a supplier for LEO (local and state with some federal). Government contracts selling guns didn't pay as sometimes you took a loss. It was the accessories which made the difference.

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
Yes just as soon as I win the lottery! Although I did win a total of $14 last week!
What was that bit of wisdom I read just this morning? "Trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by flying on commercial airlines." ($14? I wouldn't worry about it.)

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Maybe Shoot Straight bought the two stores with ranges..... that would not be a bad thing for you or Melbourne.

Don

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I'm constantly finding new stores here and none closing. I have no clue.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
In my neck of the woods, gun stores are popping up all over the place. I can think of at
least six within a thirty minute drive and a Cabelas will be opening soon only five minutes
from where I work. It's nice having so many places to shop for firearms, you can go out
and shop around for the best deals now.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
From what I have seen mark-up on guns is not very much, have to make your money selling other items. With the ammo and reloading component crunch I can see other stores closing up as well.

I complain about the gun store minutes away from my house being expensive, but they have to charge what they do to keep the doors open. As long as there are people willing to pay those prices they will stay open. The advantage they have is there is a pretty good supply of wealthy consumers in the area that are willing to pay the price to have it now.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Accessories and used guns is where you can make a better return. You may make $50 on a new gun. More on used guns. The firearms business is more about your passion than anything. It's a tightrope to riches, not a road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts