Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve started buying lever rifles and revolvers in same caliber. I just ordered a Rossi R92 in .45LC today and a Uberti Cattleman in .45LC/.45ACP. Never gave much thought to the Rossi lever rifles, but after picking up the little .22 Rio Bravo - impressed with the quality and action. For what it’s worth, I’ll have less in the Rossi R92 and Uberti together, than the Henry cold case hardened .357 I bought to go with my S&W 586. From what I’m reading the R92s are good lever action rifles. Can’t wait for it to arrive with the Uberti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
35,705 Posts
OOOHHH...Now you're talking. I have the Marlin in 44 Magnum and the R92 in .357. I have always wanted a SAA to complement these, probably not a 44 Mag, but more like a Taylor's 357. A Buscadero rig and I'll relive my youth with my cowboy imaginings.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I've been shooting Cowboy Action for more than 2 decades and figured out that simplifying my logistics when going to a match was the way to avoid embarrassment, so all of my match pistols and rifles are chambered in the same caliber.

That means that I all have to do is remember to put 2 kinds of ammo (shotshells and everything else) in the bag instead of 3. (That's also why I lay everything out the night before, go through everything to make sure that I really do have what I need-want where I think it is and pack the range bag or ammo box for the cart before going to bed).

I've seen folks trying to scrounge 12gauge, .45's or .38/.357's at local matches because their match ammo is still sitting on the kitchen table, in the reloading room, on the floor of the garage, on the corner of the porch, on the back steps, etc ... on quite a few occasions. Major annual matches, at least, have vendors and you can just go buy what you need on site.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been shooting Cowboy Action for more than 2 decades and figured out that simplifying my logistics when going to a match was the way to avoid embarrassment, so all of my match pistols and rifles are chambered in the same caliber.

That means that I all have to do is remember to put 2 kinds of ammo (shotshells and everything else) in the bag instead of 3. (That's also why I lay everything out the night before, go through everything to make sure that I really do have what I need-want where I think it is and pack the range bag or ammo box for the cart before going to bed).

I've seen folks trying to scrounge 12gauge, .45's or .38/.357's at local matches because their match ammo is still sitting on the kitchen table, in the reloading room, on the floor of the garage, on the corner of the porch, on the back steps, etc ... on quite a few occasions. Major annual matches, at least, have vendors and you can just go buy what you need on site.
Exactly. I’m 61 and just enjoy traveling light these days. Even though don’t shoot competitively, I can pack a lever action rifle or bolt action Carbine with pistol or revolver in same caliber and have good day at the range.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I use to shoot CAS and was going to start again this year, but Covid messed that up. I've probably had a lever/revolver combo in one form or the other for the last 30 years. I currently have combo's in .45 Colt, and .357. My cast loads are for plinking, the jacketed are hunting rounds that are the same load for either the handgun or rifle/carbine.

I even went further with an AR9 and a Glock 19. Both take the same magazines, and in my emergency kit if I need to travel light.

Maloy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use to shoot CAS and was going to start again this year, but Covid messed that up. I've probably had a lever/revolver combo in one form or the other for the last 30 years. I currently have combo's in .45 Colt, and .357. My cast loads are for plinking, the jacketed are hunting rounds that are the same load for either the handgun or rifle/carbine.

I even went further with an AR9 and a Glock 19. Both take the same magazines, and in my emergency kit if I need to travel light.

Maloy
I picked up Ruger PC9 take down Carbine last year, and installed the Glock magwell for same reason if SHTF. With the Glock 45 makes nice small package

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Following the handgun ban in the UK in 1997 lever guns became very popular due to the fact that there were hundreds of thousands of pistol calibre rounds available. No guns, just the ammo. I had a Winchester '94AE Legacy which was a fantastic gun to shoot. We had regular competitions at my club for turning targets.

TomsWinchester 94.jpg

Notice the John Wayne style finger action in the lever..;D;)

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
I've got a .357 magnum combo.

Reactions: Braveheart1

·
Registered
610 Posts
You can have a lever gun and SAA's:

Colt Custom SAA's.jpg

or you can have a lever gun and some more modern day revolvers too:

They all shoot .45 Colt. :D