Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lever Action .44 with 16" barrel arriving Wednesday. Suggested ammo for starting out

Any .44 mag users out there....do you have a particular brand of ammo that is working well, or better than others. Would like to start out with least possible issues...

Thnak you,

·
Administrator
35,408 Posts
Remington makes a 240 grain jacketed softpoint that is supposed to be a real thumper. Especially from a long barrel.

Congrats on the new addition !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummed...they shipped wrong gun

Update...Rossi arrived today....44 mag, supposed to have been 16" barrel.....dealer sent 20" by mistake. Dealer is more than happy to make this right....now beginning to think I should just keep the 20"???

What would you do? .....no plans to hunt.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Update...Rossi arrived today....44 mag, supposed to have been 16" barrel.....dealer sent 20" by mistake. Dealer is more than happy to make this right....now beginning to think I should just keep the 20"???

What would you do? .....no plans to hunt.
I have the Rossi 92 in 45 colt with a octagon 20" barrel. To be honest with you it might have a bit more range but not needed to reach out more than 100 yards. I got the 20" due to way it felt like it was balanced perfectly in firing position for me, over the shorter round barreled guns.

·
Administrator
35,408 Posts
Personally I love carbine rifles - very versatile. If he could get the 16 in without much fuss, then if it was me I'd let him. But obviously there is nothing wrong with the 20'' version either.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have a Win 44 Mag with 16" barrel, Trapper model, and really enjoy shooting it.
The small size does make it look toyish, but wow you can carry it anywhere easily, even in your back back.

Rob

·
Banned
893 Posts
Personally I love carbine rifles - very versatile. If he could get the 16 in without much fuss, then if it was me I'd let him. But obviously there is nothing wrong with the 20'' version either.
ditto, I would see if he would exchange if it were me.

·
Administrator
39,895 Posts
Purely based on appearance, my 92 has a 20 inch barrel. Just appeals to me more than the 16 inch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone....sticking with this 20", but I agree with everyone's positive comments re 16".....it looks so good!

Even this 20" feels so light and manageable, I will keep it, maybe a little less recoil,

Can't wait .....range and first impression coming soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd be interested to hear your first impression. Mine was that it kicks like a mule. I figured out after a while that I was resting it too high in the crook of my shoulder instead of further down on top of the muscle. I had a pretty good bruise after the first range trip.
Rossi .44.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd be interested to hear your first impression. Mine was that it kicks like a mule. I figured out after a while that I was resting it too high in the crook of my shoulder instead of further down on top of the muscle. I had a pretty good bruise after the first range trip.
View attachment 21126
Watched 1st half of Super Bowl with ice on my shoulder. Yep, like a mule is right. In hindsight should have stuck with orig plan for .357 / .38 with 16". Put 50 rounds through and had such fun. I have a lot of work to do with this buckhorn sight.

Shoulder/ arm is fine today...can't wait to back out for another session.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Watched 1st half of Super Bowl with ice on my shoulder. Yep, like a mule is right. In hindsight should have stuck with orig plan for .357 / .38 with 16". Put 50 rounds through and had such fun. I have a lot of work to do with this buckhorn sight.

I've sure shot a bunch of the 357/38 that belong to others and find them a bit lacking in sound and feel for me. I shot the 45 colt which at least sounds like a rifle and not a cap gun. As for recoil it is fairly easy with the 45 also. Now if they made a 454 in the finish I like I would own one as then I could shoot the 45 as well as the 454.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Bummed...have decided, too much recoil, now searching for .357, 16"' .....none to be found

·
Banned
893 Posts
Don't give up on the 44mag so soon, get a cushioned butt pad which will calm the recoil. The 44mag is a excellent round and great woods rifle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you reload just load up some light loads they will still be devastaing and not kick as much or shoot 44 special. easy fix

·
Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
Have you shot 44 Special with it yet? I have a Marlin in 44 Magnum and I was quite surprised at the recoil when I first loaded it with S & B 240 grain 44 magnums. I've not used 44 Special yet either, but plan on loading some 44 Magnum brass with a milder cocktail to enjoy punching holes in paper. It is nice to know I have the "juice" if/when I need it. I also had the 38/357 as my first choice but the CAS snap up the good used ones fast and they actually command a premium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Makes total sense....again, new to all of this...never even considered .44 spec....will buy a box and go out again. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im in the same boat, i was thinking of buying the carbine in 357, BUT im more of a Big Bore kinda guy, i have my Marlin guide Gun which is now my favorite rifle, but im gonna go with the 44mag carbine....

Reactions: stickem2
1 - 20 of 29 Posts