Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kelly Bagget, superintendent of Levelland ISD announced that conceal carry has been approved for the school district.

I grew up with Kelly in Brownfield and we played sports together and roomed one year at Tech together. I see him almost every week as my two oldest grandsons both play sports at Levelland and Kelly announces most of the games.

Levelland, a town of about 14,000 is 30 miles west of Lubbock

Here is the story

Levelland I.S.D. approves concealed carry on campus - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Reactions: Marinevietvet

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
Step in the right direction! Wish more schools would do this.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Levelland is a pretty conservative and pro-active town. Of all the small outlying towns around Lubbock, Levelland is the only one that has grown and prospered over the years. The little town of Brownfield I grew up in was 10,000 population when I left there in 1966 is about 7,000 now.

Levelland has a JUCO that is very good, farming and a pretty strong oil economy as well. I would not mind retiring there. It is still primarily causation more than any of the other surrounding towns which are primarily hispanic. Levelland is a town that is great for kids to grow up in.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Kelly Bagget, superintendent of Levelland ISD announced that conceal carry has been approved for the school district.

I grew up with Kelly in Brownfield and we played sports together and roomed one year at Tech together. I see him almost every week as my two oldest grandsons both play sports at Levelland and Kelly announces most of the games.

Levelland, a town of about 14,000 is 30 miles west of Lubbock

Here is the story

Levelland I.S.D. approves concealed carry on campus - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock
Good for them!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a positive from a local news agency on this, this is an NBC affiliate, but they haven't been brainwashed in Lubbock.

Consider This...Levelland's controversial decision
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 4:55 PM CDTUpdated: Mar 26, 2013 9:56 PM CDT

Kudos to the Levelland Independent School District for taking the lead on a very tough issue. Last week, trustees voted to allow certain teachers with proper licenses to carry concealed hand guns on school property. And that's a decision I know they didn't come to lightly.
Consider this:
In Levelland, students and faculty have something most others don't - the assurance that if the unthinkable happens, they can be protected.
In today's society, the sad fact is that bad people go on school grounds and kill innocent people so the idea of arming some of those innocent people to save lives makes a lot of sense.
I'm not saying it's for every school or campus and that's why I think districts have to make their own decisions. This isn't the business of the federal or state government.
So, to the Levelland ISD Board of Trustees, thank you for your courage. I pray that you will never have to demonstrate that courage on your campuses.
We want to know what you think. Voice your opinion by commenting below, by e-mailing us at [email protected] or by writing us at:
KCBD-TV Attn: Consider This
5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX 79404

'Consider This' is a commentary by KCBD Vice-President and General Manager Dan Jackson.
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the comment I posted on the story. I usually don't post much in the local news as a few of my clients are liberals, although they usually are fairly soon aware I am conservative as they come.

• Ronnie Foy · Real Estate Broker at Ronnie Foy, RealtorsThis was a tough decision for a school district to make. I do have the investment of four grand kids going to Levelland Schools, so I do have a dog in this fight.

Schools are no gun zones, and as such are free fire zones for bad people and it only makes sense to have protection there for our most valued possessions, our kids, our grandkids and our great grandkids. We give armed protection to people in court houses, and sometimes even that fails, however we owe the same protections to our schools.

It may not always fit into budgets to provide armed police at schools 24/7, and even though Levelland always has a police presence at all large crowd sporting events, sometimes the P.D. and the Levelland ISD force can not monitor all the schools, all the time.

To me, it is well known by now, that come next school term, there will be interference for the kids if anyone goes on a school campus with an evil intent and their actions will not be un-impeded for a long time as they would currently expect. Hopefully, this will be a deterrence to anyone with evil intent.

Levelland is not the first ISD in Texas to allow teachers and staff to conceal carry firearms. Harrold, Texas ISD on 287 between Vernon and Electra made this decision in 2007.

I agree with a previous poster that it is a shame we have to consider these decisions, but I know members of the school staff and administration, and know the people who are allowed to carry on campus will undergo extensive training and continuous training.

I have confidence, that all the questions about safety my wife had, will all be addressed by the program. I just have a lot of confidence in the Levelland ISD and the staff, parents and students to make this a good safe program that never has to be used, just like car, house or health insurance.

Reply · Like · Follow Post · 2 seconds ago

• Darryl SurleySad to say that this is what America has come to, but, I think it is the best solution to the problem. I also think that this is what all schools should eventually do!
    Reply · Like · Follow Post · 10 hours ago

Facebook social plugin

·
Registered
508 Posts
My sons wife teaches at New Home just south of Lubbock and the school will pay all or part of the CHL fee but I haven't asked about school carry yet!? I had to take guns and ammo down to practice with and I sure miss my PT 709 !!!!!!! :-( son already has my PT145 but its about time to carry the Judge now anyway! Not to worried ! Being from Texas you have a few dozen extras just in case!!! HaHa! Jake I woulda called for coffee but was under severe woman control don't ya know!!!!!!! :-(

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
When you consider the response time to a active shooter event on a school campus will be around 30 minutes at best this is a good idea. A single LEO will not enter the building until he has backup and normally they want to enter with 3 or 4 officers in a group that takes time to get them all together and to plan the best way to attack the problem. 30 minutes is a long time and many can be hurt or killed.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Congrats is in order. Think how many children would be alive today from all of the historical school shootings, if the school teachers were professionally trained and armed. God Bless the Schools that are doing this to protect our future generations!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.