Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Taurus model 992 SS it is a DA revolver that comes with two (easy to Switch) 9 round cylinders one for the .22lr and all of the lesser variety and one cylinder for the .22mag.
Revolvers are simple to load and operate also very reliable.
And when you ain't self defence'in it's a hoot to shoot.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
S&W 22 A1 loaded with either stingers or mini mags.
I shoot in the local Thursday steel league and it rarely malfunctions even with bulk ammo, plus I have 6 magazines for it.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Well I have the TX22 and the PMR 30 for 22 and 22 mag.If I feel sporty I have two 941 revolvers with 4" barrels and two model 94 revolvers with a 4" and a 2" revolver.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
For carry?

One of those little Browning 1911-22's. It's 7/8 the size of a true 1911 and the 'Government Model' miniature has a 4 1/4" barrel, so you have reasonable velocity potential. Maybe one of the Smith K-frame .22's that hold a bunch of rounds. A 3 inch K-frame makes a dandy carry gun.

I'd have to get one since the only .22's I own are an old 8 shot RG that was my grandmother's and a Colt New Frontier .22. I wouldn't feel under armed with the New Frontier- the thing's a laser out to 100 with the .22mag cylinder in it. Even with the LR cylinder in, it'll dot an eye if you can do your part.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
870 Posts
For and auto loader, I taking a TX22 with a couple of 16 round mags loaded with CCI Mini-Mags. I can’t think of anything better.
For a revolver, I would take my 990 loaded with 9-CCI Mini-Mags.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
When it comes to 22 cal you want maximum velocity with maximum capacity. 9-16 rounds of 22 mag vs 30 rounds? Sounds like the PMR-30 might be the best solution. If you're lucky, you can even get 50 and 60 round mags. Stagger Solid and HP ammo and you've got enough to stop any 2 legged aggressor.

·
Super Moderator
35,694 Posts
Taurus model 992 SS it is a DA revolver that comes with two (easy to Switch) 9 round cylinders one for the .22lr and all of the lesser variety and one cylinder for the .22mag.
If it's a gun I own already it's the Ruger SR22 and I have a few backup 10 round magazines loaded up. The drawback for SD is that I have had FTF, not often, but enough that I wouldn't want to trust it for carry.

I would like to get a 992 with a 4" barrel in stainless. For druthers...that would be the choice.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If the ammo situation got that dire, I'm sure my ability to go buy a new handgun would probably drastically reduced, too. To that end, I'll stick with what's in my guns safe.

Heritage Rough Rider - 6 rounds of .22LR or .22WMR, SA revolver
Hi Standard Sentinel - 9 rounds of .22LR, SA/DA revolver
Ruger Standard - 10 rounds of .22LR, SA automatic
S&W 622 - 12 rounds of .22LR, SA automatic
S&W 2213 - 6 rounds of .22LR, SA automatic

Of these, I'd choose the 2 S&Ws. The 622 is super accurate, has flat recoil due to the low bore axis, fast shooting, has 12-rounds mags (high-ish capacity and fast reloads), is suppressor capable, and has been very dependable for the 28 years I've owned it. As many thousands of rounds that I've shot through it, it's probably the gun that I am most accurate with out of my entire collection. The 2213 is essential the same gun with a shorted barrel and grip. It's easy to conceal, still takes a suppressor and can even use the longer 12-round mags. They make a dandy pair.

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
Anyone ever tried Velocitors or Stingers in their SR22?
Any more effective than Mini Mags?
What shoots best (most accurate) in mine is Remington Golden Bullet. I can't recall it ever choking on that ammo, either. It shoots about 2" at 25 yards from a rest, good enough for outdoor carry, but not quite hunting accurate. My Mk 2 is my hunting Ruger, but it's a big/heavy firearm.

In .22LR, accuracy matters. With an accurate gun, not only is self defense possible, but survival in the wild is possible. I don't really think in terms of self defense with such a rimfire pistol. I carry a 9 or a .357 or such. But, a .22 to the face would be effective. Power isn't a .22 strong suit. Accuracy is.......

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Probably my Ruger SR22. Small, accurate, 10 +1. If it comes down to protection myself or loved ones with a .22, the range will most likely be short and accuracy will be important. Very few disabling shots with a .22. The SR 22 eats anything I feed it, including the hated Remington Bucket o' Bullets stuff I got for free. Longer shots, and if a rifle is indicated, my S&W 15/22. I have 30rnd mags and a 4X scope. It's a tack driver, and also eats any ammo I feed it. Again, in the case of the .22, I would want a kill shot. Center of mass may not be sufficient, so I'm going for the head. or the groin. And yes, this is something I've considered.

In the case of the pistol, I'd like to say my M&P 22, but it's real picky on ammo. Doesn't seem to like high velocity. Shoots CCI pretty well, but in a SD situation, I need the gun to go "bang" when I pull the trigger. My Hunter is too big and unwieldy.

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
My Ruger Mk II Standard loaded with CCI Mini-Mags would be my first choice. It's reliable with most any .22 LR ammunition I can scrounge, but it really seems to like the CCI Mini-Mags.
I have spare Magazines, Magazine Carriers, and a few Holsters for it.

Second choice would be an old FIE Buffalo Scout SA .22LR Revolver I have lurking about in the back of the Safe, which could be pressed into service, if need be.

I know you said no Rifles, but my Ruger 10/22 with some aftermarket Hi-Cap Magazines would really fill the bill. Also loaded with the aforementioned CCI Mini-Mags.

Yes, I hear all you guys who wake up at 2AM and punch out another 1000 .4ACP by 4AM because reloading is in your blood.
Hmmm? You been tapping into my Home Security System or what? :eek:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
My Ruger SR22 would be my first choice. Shoot until the other person looks like a colander straining tomatoes.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Don't need much thought to make this decision. Rimfire, check, lightweight, check, concealed carry, check, adequate power, check, maximum capacity, check. It all adds up in my mind to the KelTec PMR 30.

30 shots of ANY .22 magnum ammunition up close and personal will end any confrontation I may get pushed into and I have no fear of being outgunned.

I would also feel comfortable under the same conditions armed with my S333 Thunderstruct .22 magnum double barrel revolver. Two shots of .22 magnum at the same time will take your mind off of attacking anyone.

First picture is setting my PMR30 off. Second picture is my Thunderstruck.

Don

20200427_214456.jpg

20200420_090831.jpg

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
My Taurus® TRACKER™ Mdl 9924B loaded w/22 Mag would be my choice.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I'd go with my S&W Model 18. It's been with me for many years, and we know each other very well. It would also be the LAST gun to leave my possession.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Its called lead on target and firstest with the mostest. PMR30

·
22,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Lots of great input, everyone.

Reading this and considering my own rimfire experience (less reliable ignition than with centerfire, no question), I have to say "revolver." The 992 convertible in a 3" barrel would be the gold standard. Silver medal to any double action revolver with at least six shots; Taurus model 94, or one of the .22LR Charter Arms revolvers. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
If it is something I already own, other than a dud, my P-07 Kadet will cycle anything including Wildcats and Thunderbolts. My first TX22 is the same. As long as I have quality ammo on hand, which is all of it, one of my .22/45 LITE's with the AAC Element II is a nice stealthy choice.

Maloy

0613191647a.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a number of 22 pistols, both LR and WMR.
However, they are all single action revolvers, except for my Ruger MkIII.

So, given those parameters, I would choose the MkIII because of capacity and speed of reload.
If your opponent is determined, or high on something like meth, you are going to need to get a lot of hits to the body and hopefully to the face.

Face it - handguns of any caliber are relatively low powered to begin with, and a 22 is at the bottom of the list.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts