Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
21,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it be?

Parameters for the question; ammo shortage is driving you to .22. Yes, I hear all you guys who wake up at 2AM and punch out another 1000 .4ACP by 4AM because reloading is in your blood. You've run out of components, because rats peed in your powder and made off with your primers. You've fired or sold your entire stash of factory or reloaded centerfire handgun ammo.

You're able bodied - no problem racking slides or pulling DA triggers. You just have to use a .22 for defense. No rifles; you need to be able to put it in a holster on your hip.

Let's get speculating. What's important? Capacity? Tolerance for different .22 loads, from standard speed to hypervelocity? Accuracy? What's it gonna be?

·
Super Moderator
34,947 Posts
I like my Black Widow in .22WMR. I also have one in .22LR, though. AND, I don't carry it, but could. I have a Ruger SR22. It's very accurate and has firepower. It's my woods gun and plinker. :D

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Is a 5.7x28 considered a .22 I realize not a rimfire. But it has the capacity with a 40round mag.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
If I have to use it I have 2 to choose from. 22 revolver with magnum cylinder, and a semi auto. I would hate to be the guy I am shootin at...IYKWIM.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-351-pd

I just sold one of these to a good friend of mine. He was looking for a good home defense firearm that everyone in the family could use if need be, and one that he might be able to carry if he opted to go that route.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
well IF I MUST!
a Browning Buckmark with a 4 inch slab barrel.
reason-accuracy, dependability, reasonable capacity, not super big or heavy.
I would also go for a Ruger MK series if I could find one of like configuration as the Browning.
IF I must use a 22 then I want one that is reliable and has a fair capacity for sure cause i am gonna shoot you a bunch!

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I have 3 to choose from.
For CC I's use my SS Charter Arms Pathfinder 3".
For OC I go with my Ruger RST6 because I have 6 mags for it.
Lastly I have my Sig Sauer 1911 22lr only because I only have the one mag for it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i`d go with my keltec p17 . reliable , high capacity , light and pretty good sights . many other options available .----------

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Well, if I had to use a 22LR for defense, I'd hope that I could use my Ruger 10/22 with extended magazines.

I only have one 22LR handgun in the house, and it's my wife's Sig Mosquito, which works very well with the right ammo. I have plenty of that ammo, too.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not sure what I'd choose but, whatever it was, it would have a moderator and I'd load with British Eley Subsonic 42grain rounds. Double tap in the mouth, and they'd never hear where it came from. Either that or kneecaps..

But the most aggravation I'm likely to experience here is the milkman making too much noise at 2.00am..!!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
S&W MP full size, 12 round mag with solid rounds. I have seen the effect on the body when they just bounce around inside and leave a path of destruction, They just don't know their dead for a few minutes. P.S. Empty the mag.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I carry my NAA Sidewinder loaded with .22mag. V-Max 45 grain hollow points. My other .22 option is my Beretta 21A loaded with CCI Velociters along with 2 spare mags.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
No problem! I'd go with the HK mp5 in 22lr. 25 round mags so fun all day! I'd put the TX22 on my hip so I look cool! ;)

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I think I would opt for a Keltec PMR 30 for power, speed and capacity. 30 rounds of WMR is a lot of capacity and power.

I have never shot one, but would like to. If there is no or little muzzle lift and follow up shots are easy, it would be the perfect gun and round. I think a few of our members have this firearm. I have never even watched a video on the firearm.

I have no problem with the .22 Long rifle caliber, follow up shots are fast. 10 rounds rattling around a rib cage will do a number.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
My Carter Arms Pathfinder .22WMR.
Very confident in its capabilities.

Reactions: JTSmitty

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Well, I would use my Ruger MkII for which I have 5 fresh mags and tons of .22 ammo.

I have a couple of 10/22s but OP stated "No rifles"

1 - 20 of 76 Posts