1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Agreed!!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I can't believe they're flying the flags at half staff In New Jersey.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
+1,000. It's a sad state of affairs when our role models are celebrities with self-destructive addictions while our true hero's go unnoticed and forgotten.

·
Super Moderator
26,870 Posts
Sadly I can see both sides. I posted the pic on FB. Most of my thoughts go to the ones that have given their lives, AND their families lives to this great country.
BUT, the other 10% looks at the lives she has changed, or encouraged, by achieving what she achieved. My own daughter included. The fact that she seems to have blown all her opportunities away because of drug use..... that should be used and I will use it as a REAL "teachable moment"
I think that EVERY serviceman or woman should have the flags of their home state put to half staff when they are laid to rest. I do not care if they died in Afghanistan or in a traffic accident in Biloxi!
To me this is difficult!

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I can't believe they're flying the flags at half staff In New Jersey.
Personally I don't agree they should either, but...
Who can order a half staffing?
  • Only the President and state Governors can decide when and how long the American flag should be flown at half-staff.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was at a miltary unit in the mid 90's where we lost 2 helicopters and 8 crewman within a 2 year period. They were both on difficult rescue missions, not even a blip to the national media. Local media was great though. It's amazing how things work sometimes, it doesn't always make sense.

Will

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Whitney Houston - Do I care that she is dead? No, I do not, or at least i do not care anymore so than I do about the death of someone I did not know personally. Ms. Houston was granted a gift in that she had a beautiful singing voice. But to what end did she use her talent? She bought and used all the drugs that her body could take, until it killed her. Would we care if she couldn't sing? No, we would not, in fact it is unlikely we would ever even hear about it. Whitney Houston's life was one big tragedy. A tragedy of her own creation. She was self destructive. She was a drug abuser. She flaunted her tragedy to the public. One talent in a sea of personal self created failure does not make a person note worthy, and certainly not deserving of the same respect that should be afforded to those that have given their lives to keep our country free. In my opinion, Whitney Houston was not worth the effort it took me to write this, and this will be my last effort on her behalf. To quote Curly Bill ........ Well Bye.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why isn't the Westboro Baptist Church protesting this funeral? This should be right up their alley, and they probably wouldn't have the Patriot Guard there to block their protest. Sorry, I couldn't help myself in posting this bit of irony.

Reactions: Willboat

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words, Willboat.

The pic you posted speaks volumes.

Thanks.

Reactions: Shinsou

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Whitney Houston - Do I care that she is dead? No, I do not, or at least i do not care anymore so than I do about the death of someone I did not know personally. Ms. Houston was granted a gift in that she had a beautiful singing voice. But to what end did she use her talent? She bought and used all the drugs that her body could take, until it killed her. Would we care if she couldn't sing? No, we would not, in fact it is unlikely we would ever even hear about it. Whitney Houston's life was one big tragedy. A tragedy of her own creation. She was self destructive. She was a drug abuser. She flaunted her tragedy to the public. One talent in a sea of personal self created failure does not make a person note worthy, and certainly not deserving of the same respect that should be afforded to those that have given their lives to keep our country free. In my opinion, Whitney Houston was not worth the effort it took me to write this, and this will be my last effort on her behalf. To quote Curly Bill ........ Well Bye.
Agreed!!! While she had a beautiful voice, a junkie does not make a good role model, and certainly not a martyr, an icon nor a hero.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
There's one more fault I find in the media, their bent on her "issue".

As far as I'm concerned "Cancer" and "Diabetes" are diseases, "Drugs" and "Alcohol" are "Addictions".

Don't call them a disease; nobody put a gun to her head and made her booze it up and chase it with drugs.

Our heros come home, scared and crippled, yet many petition to stay on active duty with missing limbs to serve this country with little thanks by many.

Making a hero out of addicted entertainers is a slap in these Vet's faces....rant over.:mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts