Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this would be a great post, found a fatal flaw last night in regards to my home defense plan.

My home alarm went off very late last night when everyone was sleeping. I was able to get my closest available handgun out and ready (my Taurus TCP 738 380) and headed downstairs to clear and sweep.. but my reaction time was way too slow, and I was not as "cautious" as I should of been in regards to my overall awareness.

Luckily, is was just a false alarm on the sensor (possible a thunderstorm and vibration of the wall). The alarm company watchstander was great, and kudos for the first line of defense, but certainly this put things into perspective for me.

So, each night one of my handguns "will be" ready and in reach next to me as I sleep. And even though that means that I'll need to secure it in the morning (because of kids and also their neighborhood friends) that new morning routine will be worth it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have one of my two G2Cs on my nightstand all the time. The other one is holster and on my person all day long until I retire at night. Regarding responding to a home aralrm, which I do have and have had it go off without clear reason. I employ my Marine training, Air is a few simple rules to follow when there is a real, or perceived threat in your area.

1. Gun at the ready, because you actually might have to use it.
2. Look and listen before moving, situational awareness is a primarily sight and sound assessment.
3. Move slowly and deliberately using cover if available.
4. Move to spot you predetermine at the time by observation, assess the situation quickly and move to the next predermined spot.
5 Take advantaged of what cover is available.
6. Even in defense of others calculate each move. You cannot defend yourself or anyone if you get killed by acting hastily.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have one of my two G2Cs on my nightstand all the time. The other one is holster and on my person all day long until I retire at night. Regarding responding to a home aralrm, which I do have and have had it go off without clear reason. I employ my Marine training, Air is a few simple rules to follow when there is a real, or perceived threat in your area.

1. Gun at the ready, because you actually might have to use it.
2. Look and listen before moving, situational awareness is a primarily sight and sound assessment.
3. Move slowly and deliberately using cover if available.
4. Move to spot you predetermine at the time by observation, assess the situation quickly and move to the next predermined spot.
5 Take advantaged of what cover is available.
6. Even in defense of others calculate each move. You cannot defend yourself or anyone if you get killed by acting hastily.
Thank You, I appreciate your courtesy posting that... I actually did not go to sleep until 2:30am because I kept thinking on #6... "if I got shot because of my slow reaction time, or not moving as in #4, I can't help anyone if I'm dead". I am happy that it was not the case, because sometimes you do not get a second chance.. as they say..

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Glad everything worked out ok. I too simply keep my handgun on the nightstand, or within arms reach all the time while at home. I do not have to be concerned with kids around.
Give some good thought to your home safety plan and keep an open mind to making changes if the need arises.

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
every situation can be as different as every home and its occupants.
being a one person household and the layout of my house.
First I have very, very secure doors and windows, IE longer/more screws in the jambs, multiple dead bolts and locking bars, the windows are secured from being raised more than about 4 inches so would have to be knocked out to gain entry.
additionally I have 2 dogs (early warning devices), I also have a night light in the hallway and anyone/thing entering the bedroom area must walk past that light--perfect shooting alley.
I have a dedicated weapon and extra magazine in the night stand and its ready to go except for puling the trigger.
being an old Firefighter I sleep extremely light and most any unusual noise wakes me easily.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I have a different approach by how my house is laid out..................
All firearms and ammo are in one place and CCW is not removed until bed-time...............
NOTHING in my home is really worth getting into a shootout with idiots, so as far as I
am concerned come and find me and the Family, only one of them is going to be able to
come through the door at a given time, like shootin fish in a barrel................
Girls room is right next to ours and they know to come in when something isn't right.
I don't go and look, they can come searching for me!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I woke up one night not long ago to the sound of breaking glass which set off our alarm. I grabbed my gun and flashlight from the nightstand and rushed out to the living room to see what was going on. As it turned out, a picture had fallen off the wall and all was well except for cleaning up the broken glass.

In hindsight I think after grabbing my gun I should have taken my wife through the bathroom to the walk-in closet, locked the bathroom door, called 911 from my cell phone, and waited for the police. Our bedroom door was already locked, so any bad guys would have had to go through it, then the bathroom and closet doors to get to us. I would have been armed and ready, in the dark, if they made it through all that. Of course the alarm system had already triggered a call to 911 but using my cell phone I could have made secondary contact to let the police know where we were and that I was armed.

As someone else stated, if I had initially confronted a bad guy and was injured or killed I wouldn't have been any help to my wife. While being macho seems good in my mind, instead I now plan to avoid direct conflict if possible but be prepared if there is no other choice. BTW, I'm 72 and maybe I've finally grasped the old saying, "Discretion is the better part of valor."

·
Registered
14,128 Posts
I'm old and have dealt with the middle of the night alarm more times than I care to think of. What I have learned though over the years is to take a deep breath and blow off the rush of adrenaline and clear your head. Then take a few seconds to listen...listen to the house for movements that should not be, and listen to my gut before moving out into the house.

Be careful out there,

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
as in all self defense situations , a person is very much ahead of the game by having a plan already in place, and running that scenario through your mind and even practicing it BEFORE you are presented with such problems.
I even look for remote exits when I go into a place that I visit and try to sit where I can see approaching people-- but then again I am Paranoid.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I too have had this happen to me. I let the alarm run until the alarm company calls. Switch off the alarm when my wife answers the phone...and listen....from behind a bolted door. The one that has the guns pointed at it.

I only go out once I'm convinced it was either a false alarm, or the perps have at least had time to vacate after I hear nothing for a solid minute or two. Then I go looking for the source, very, very, slowly.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of your comments. Going to go over the home defense plan more this weekend. One thing that that a friend of mine brought up, and is a good point.. if I secure the 2nd floor of my house, the stairs leading down to the first floor makes an excellent defensive "choke point" if I have my new shotgun and some birdshot...again "if" I do not need to venture downstairs right away. Got to go over that and other scenarios.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a different approach by how my house is laid out..................
All firearms and ammo are in one place and CCW is not removed until bed-time...............
NOTHING in my home is really worth getting into a shootout with idiots, so as far as I
am concerned come and find me and the Family, only one of them is going to be able to
come through the door at a given time, like shootin fish in a barrel................
Girls room is right next to ours and they know to come in when something isn't right.
I don't go and look, they can come searching for me!
Here, here. Step 1: Have a plan that EVERYONE knows about. Step 2: Let them come to you, authorities are already on the way.

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
Thanks for all of your comments. Going to go over the home defense plan more this weekend. One thing that that a friend of mine brought up, and is a good point.. if I secure the 2nd floor of my house, the stairs leading down to the first floor makes an excellent defensive "choke point" if I have my new shotgun and some birdshot...again "if" I do not need to venture downstairs right away. Got to go over that and other scenarios.
another thought is what we did at the gun shop, which was in a regular old strip shopping center with the commercial almost all glass front.
we took black paint and drew two outlines of a body on the side walk and then dropped red paint all inside it and leading out of the door.
we never did have an armed robbery or attempt!-------

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Here, here. Step 1: Have a plan that EVERYONE knows about. Step 2: Let them come to you, authorities are already on the way.
Or as my daddy always told me..."Don't go looking for trouble. You might find it."

I'd much rather a Cop shoot somebody in my living room than me having too.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
One should identify any possible defensive choke points. I'd actually prefer something with penetration. If you have multiple adversaries all lined up, you may only need one shot.

·
23,078 Posts
Good lord, people, quit overthinking all this.

I have a very large, very intelligent dog with a deep bark. I have him call the 5th Roman Legion.

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I seem to wake up to abnormal night sounds, or the lack of normal sounds. When I wake up, I listen and take inventory what my senses take in. Depending on what I sense, determines my response. I know I've caused people the need to wipe themselves when this quiet fat guy sneaks up on them.

One example, my youngest sister sometimes doesn't know when to shut up. When she was 15, I was 26. I've always can sleep through her jabbering. It suddenly got too quiet in the wee hours in the morning. Her boyfriend had stopped by and got a little to quick with his hands on her. She didn't want to make any noise and was trying to push him away. I slide nearly 3 feet of 1090 sword steel between him and her. He never did come back after that.

I don't know if it is the minuscule Cherokee blood or my machinist ninja skills, but I can be quiet.

Or the 12 year old me remembering my step father telling me if I step on one more twig, while hunting, he'll smack me into next week. When the last walking Neanderthal talked, I listened. :D

Maloy

1 - 20 of 45 Posts