Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Even here in CT, the officers I have spoken to feel the same way. I even asked what would you do if you were told to start confiscating? Two said the would drive to the house park for 2 minutes to log the GPS and mark "no contact made" or "unavailable".

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
I agree with all of the responses, except one. Do you carry off duty. Nearly 500 said no, or, rarely. I beleive in their right not to do so, but, it is surprising to me.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
An interesting survey and because the answers generally substantiate my own feelings I may be a little biased in accepting its validity.

I too was surprised by the answers to the off duty carry question although off all the current and retired police officers that I know quite a few don't carry regularly.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Very encouraging results. Would like to see this get some major coverage, but, alas...

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'm impressed overall with the answers and great to hear it from trained professionals in the field. The fact that it is a downloadable PDF makes it easy to distribute IF people will open it and read it.

I KNOW some folks that need to see this - I fear that they won't want to or be open to the results - gotta send it anyway. Can't live my life acting on worst case thinking!

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
If the survey is to be believed and honest, then I think it shows what most of us think..

·
Registered
867 Posts
I thought the results to this survey of law enforcement professionals was very telling. I suspected this to be the case based on past conversations with cops that I'm friends/family with, but I wasn't sure what the majority view actually was... this sums it up pretty clearly.

I agree with all of the responses, except one. Do you carry off duty. Nearly 500 said no, or, rarely. I beleive in their right not to do so, but, it is surprising to me.
That struck me as rather odd also. I looked back at the first question about whether the responding person was a current or retired/former law enforcement professional or "neither." 834 people responded as "neither." The only thing I can figure to explain that number is that some administrative-type people were eligible to fill out the survey as well. If that's the case, I'm sure that some/many of them aren't required to carry for work, and they may or may not have a personal CPL for carrying outside of work.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I know a LEO who got into it strictly for the 20 and out retirement. He is a good guy and a good cop but is not really a gun guy. He locks up his gun as soon as he gets home and doesn't touch it until he clocks back in. He says it is a tool for his job, nothing more. He does respect the right of others to lawfully carry.

·
Registered
29,960 Posts

:r_c: It surprises many folks to learn that a large percentage of LEO's are NOT "Gun People".

When I started law enforcement in 1970 the vast majority of LEO's were military veterans, and nearly all were raised on a farm, ranch, or rural part of the country where hunting was way of life; in other words, around guns.

Nowadays I see many recruits in the academy that have never held a firearm let alone fired one prior to signing up.

They all think guns are "cool tools" till they have to pack body armor, and a gun belt ladden with 10 lbs. of gear on a 12 hour shift during 90+ degree weather. By the end of the shift they smell like and old gym sock, and feel like the floor of a NY Taxi cab on a Saturday night. So in their off duty time they won't "pack" unless their agencies SOP's say they must.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I less surprised. Going by the reaction of police chiefs, it might a little surprising. But we really do not know how a lot of police chiefs really feel. Since police chiefs serve at the pleasure of the politicians, they might be as free to say what they really feel, unlike sheriffs who are voted into office.

This is a survey conducted amongst police officers. I was pleasantly SURPRISED by the answers to many of the questions.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I knew a police Sargent who live across the alley from my folks when they lived in Chicago. I chatted with him once during a visit and he wondered if I liked to shoot since I lived and worked in New Mexico. I said yes and we proceeded to compare notes on guns, ammo and shooting in general. He said he was leaving Chicago as soon as he could; he hated it almost as much as I did. He invited me to go shoot the practice course with him. I told him I didn't have any guns with me because of the gun laws but said I could use a couple of his. He felt any law-abiding citizen had the right to be armed. We had a great chat but I left a couple days later. Couldn't take enough showers when I got home to wash that place off (ugh!). He passed away from a massive heart attack a couple of years later right before his retirement. Very sad.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I ain't surprised at some criminal's who aint supposed to have a gun will still get there's no matter what law's they try to pull on the law abiding citizen's.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have counted many LEO's among my friends through the years from street patrolmen, NCO's, Officers, Detectives, Police Chiefs, and sheriffs and almost to a man they carried off duty. The first time I discovered my best friends dad carrying a S&W Chiefs Special in church I was surprised. He said bad people respect no time or place!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I got stopped last week at a DOT checkpoint in New Mexico, got to chatting with the trooper about his Kimber 1911. I ask his opinion in citizens carrying concealed. Turns out he's an instructor and is 100% for it. He said he teaches the class from a self defense standpoint and offers a discount on extended self defense training when you take his CHL class. Said last thing he wants is someone putting themselves in more danger by not being prepared in a situation.
Super cool guy... And even let me off with a warning on my DOT violations :)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The off duty carry question also seems odd to me. Every police officer and sheriff deputy i know(15ish) carry at all times.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I think the survey is another step in the right direction. According to the majority of the news articles regarding gun control on the web, it seems if Obama and Biden are losing ground on theirpush for control. I think we all know there is going to be some bills getting passed, probably more in the area of background checks and "requirements" for the ability to carry....but I think the issues of registration and bans are going to be losers - just not the right time in america for these types of power grabs.

One reason could possibly be related to the recent stories about the economy and the real numbers of unemployment, Wall Street stability and the housing market. With the proliferation of the internet, more average people are paying attention to the news today.....

Reactions: PCS01

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm surprised that many of you are surprised police officer think in this manner represented by the numbers. It has always seemed like and "us" and "them" issue between citizens and LE. Yep, most are not gun enthusiasts and could care less about firearms and as someone described it, the gun is just a "tool". I've carried a handgun since 1977 and will for the remainder of my days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts