Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A coworker asked me this week if I would be willing to lend him my PT 1911 to him for a few days because he is considering buying one and he wanted to try.

I will be pleased to do this for him, but I need to know if there are any steps I should follow so that there are no legal and liability issues. I have no reason to think that I cannot trust him with firearms and as far as I can tell he is a honest family guy, and former marine. And I know he passed a background check about a year ago when he was hired by our company. We went to the range together and I had the impression that he is safe and skilled with firearms.

I know that if I was to sell a firearm a bill of sale would suffice. But what if I'm just lending it?

I'm in GA.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I think it's very state specific when talking about legality.

If I thought I could trust him I would. But that's just my opinion.

·
22,070 Posts
The answer will be very state dependent. Here in NM, I offered to loan a 1911 to a friend I trust implicitly who had need of one. There would have been no paperwork required at all. Some folks might feel it's advisable.

A quick perusal of this site Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org makes it sound like you'd be find, legally, to loan it to him provided he's not disqualified from owning firearms, but it's not a bad idea to do more research.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
What TexasAviator said.

Every state might be different.

In my state, there is no paperwork needed or required to openly carry, have on your person, or use a gun - meaning I can let anybody I know borrow it. No forms to fill out at all.

But if I have a reason to suspect or know that the person I lent it to might be prohibited from possessing a gun, then I am guilty.

Here's the tough part: Where do you draw that line and decide what I reasonably should have known?

Betcha a lawyer , judge and jury could figure it out.

So, that absolutely didn't help you at all. You are welcome.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I did that to a co-worker many years ago. It was a Blackhawk 357/9mm that I had just bought, and he wanted to take it to his hunting lease and try it out. No problem. Well, a week later he gets a layoff notice and leaves the area, along with my Ruger. Haven't seem either since. NEVER AGAIN !!!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread. I've never heard of a happy ending to a gun loaning story. I'm sure there are many incidents of no harm done, I suppose those you never hear of. All you hear about is the bad stories and I've heard some disastrous ones. Bringing those incidents to mind when asked I always say no.

Reactions: WartHog354

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I don't lend out guns. I'd offer to meet him at the range and let him try it out, then take it home.
I agree with 88keys. Meet him at the range with a bunch of ammo, then when the shooting is done, let him disassemble and reassemble the gun. Just my thought.

·
Registered
24,546 Posts
I agree with the above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I did that to a co-worker many years ago. It was a Blackhawk 357/9mm that I had just bought, and he wanted to take it to his hunting lease and try it out. No problem. Well, a week later he gets a layoff notice and leaves the area, along with my Ruger. Haven't seem either since. NEVER AGAIN !!!
WOW, that sucks. Did you ever try too press charges?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I would let him try it at a range then it goes home with me. I have one friends I would trust to borrow a firearm, we have been friends since we were three! I have been burned by other friends with books and stuff..... never take a chance with something requiring so much responsibility as a firearm.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have 2 friends I would loan a gun to. One is a retired LEO and friend of many years, the other has been my best friend for 25+ years. Beyond that, I'll offer to meet the coworker at the range as stated above.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I once loaned out my Win 94 , 30-30 to use for a deer hunt . He didn't bring it back for over a week so I called and asked where my rifle was so his wife brought it back to me and when I checked it out the sight height adjuster was missing so I asked where it was and he lied saying it never was there and I said it darn sure was but he still says it was not there . After that I will never loan out anything to him period and never loan out any of my guns for any reason to anyone . Call me stingy , but the way I see it if you need something , go buy it . Some people use you and keep coming back while some are friendly and treat you right but I'm the type that once burned I never give a second chance . Sorry .

·
Administrator
35,182 Posts
Check your state laws to be sure it's okay.

I've had mixed results with lending a gun out. Years ago, a friend was going camping and wanted to borrow my 357 magnum, which I did. I got the gun back the next Monday as promised. But, a few years ago, I lent this guy a rifle for hunting, it was a 30.06 which I told him repeatedly, but he put .308 ammo in it and destroyed the extractor. He promised repeatedly to fix it, even took it to the gunsmith and dropped it off for repair, but then moved away and didn't pay for the repair. So, lend your gun out with care.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I don't ever loan out my firearms. I did once and that was once to often. My 16 gauge, double barrel, single trigger Fox never was the same after. How can you screw up taking a shot gun pheasant hunting?(rhetorical question).

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
i dont loan, i will however go with you to the range and let you shoot one of mine

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not too concerned about him not returning it, because he also offered to let me keep his Glock 21 during that time. Obviously I like my PT 1911 more than the Glock 21, but financially wise, I would be covered.

I'm mostly concerned about liability. Say for example god forbid he needs to defend himself with my gun, or if he looses it, etc.

I was thinking maybe at least exchange a couple of emails about the exchange...

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Only loan out things you have no problem losing. Guns, cars, tools, wife, etc

·
Banned
860 Posts
My policy is to never loan out anything mechanical, which includes tools, cars, mowers, chain saws and guns. Anything that can be broken by the borrower. Better for them to be pissed than you.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Liability issues is the other reason I won't loan a gun to anyone, even if "legal". Does your coworker have a CCP or Permit to Buy? In my state, it would be considered a transfer to loan a handgun and would require a permit on the receiving end, so check your state laws on that. Even if legal, if something did happen, could you get drawn into a civil suit? The whole coworker thing seems like a bad idea to me too, if it doesn't go fine, you have work relations to deal with too.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts