·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a CC permit.
In Ohio are these legal or illegal.

Exposed gun on the seat next to driver.
Exposed gun on the dashboard.

If both of those are legal then why not . . .

Exposed on the gas tank of motorcycle.

If your state is different I would like to know.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Have you checked out handgunlaw.us? Look for the state of Ohio; & see what they have there.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
With a CC permit.

Exposed gun on the dashboard

In Texas all of these are illegal with or without a CHL.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
People here may give you the right answer to your questions. I highly suggest you look at the Ohio laws and your local laws.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Firearm Transportation For Those With a CCW License Only:

• Handguns: loaded guns and magazines anywhere in vehicle.
  • Long guns must be in a closed case, in a gun rack in plain sight, in plain sight with action open if at least 18” barrel, or in a compartment reachable only by leaving vehicle.
  • Long gun magazines may contain ammunition and be anywhere in vehicle but not inserted in long gun.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Concealed means concealed. If the gun is exposed for some reason, it's no longer concealed and therefore that's not legal if your State does not have OC.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Concealed means concealed. If the gun is exposed for some reason, it's no longer concealed and therefore that's not legal if your State does not have OC.
That make the most sense.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Divebum's answer is correct and what the law says.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
As an example of how far ranging the laws are from state to state Michigan does have oc but once you get in to your vehicle even if you have the gun in the exposed holster or in plain site it is considered concealed. Here if you do not have a CPL then you have to store the handgun unloaded in a case or in the trunk of a vehicle,

·
Super Moderator
20,112 Posts
Trackstang and Divebum goth quote the Ohio laws re: carrying a firearm in a vehicle.

In Georgia, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home and you don't have to have a permit to carry in your car or even on a boat. I would imagine a motorcycle would be similar but you may have to have the gun in a storage space (rather than on your person) to qualify for the no permit requirement.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
In North Carolina if you are traveling with a firearm, it must be in plain view of the general
public (on the dashboard or seat beside the driver) if the owner does not have a concealed
carry permit. This would be legal and abiding by the laws on the books without a conceal
carry permit. It is interesting learning about each state's laws regarding firearms and the
differences between states in legislation.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
If Robby pops in I know he will be able to set me straight but I am sure in KY all of those are legal since it would be considered open carry

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
With a CC permit.

Exposed gun on the dashboard.

Believe it or not in Michigan a Motorcycle is not classified as a motor vehicle and open carry is legal....

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
If Robby pops in I know he will be able to set me straight but I am sure in KY all of those are legal since it would be considered open carry
Sir, you are definitely right. However, KY, law on vehicles is the same if you have a CCW or NOT? Open on the seat or dash, concealed in the glove box, or any compartment built in the car by the manufacturer. That actually is the same for long guns too.

No requirement to inform LE, however it is suggested that you do on official contact with them. Less tension if it is noticed during a stop, or other contact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts