Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've signed up for a class here in the legal stuff surrounding a defense shooting. It's being put on by a local doctor and the speaker is a local criminal defense attorney and shooting enthusuast. His first class was sold out quickly. My favorite local instructor sent an email and I was on the phone in the next minute. Should be the straight stuff right from the horse's mouth.
It's also another way to reach possible customers, heh, heh.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'll be interested to hear what you learn.

·
Administrator
39,479 Posts
Whether you're serious about carrying a firearm or just have it for home protection, these classes are usually great. Even the little bit of info given in the CHL classes and at renewal time is good to be exposed to. Of course every state is a little different, but your class bre, sounds like it may be Texas specific. Enjoy the class, and let us know how it goes! :thumb:

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
That sounds interesting Bre, let us know hwat you hear!

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
That does sound like a worthwhile class to take, every gunowner and concealed carry permit
holder should know the legal implications that occur if they ever have to face pulling the
trigger in a self defense situation. Let us know how things go.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Yes. Everyone should attend a class like that if they can.
Amen to that, because your life will change forever. Let us know, Bre.

Reactions: Lil Beaver

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Good deal let us know.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Very good type of class like Lmstncwby said if it comes to pass your life will change very quickly and not all for the good. You will most likely lose your firearm at least for a time, you will get a room with meals at the county motel, and more than likely meet the judge!

Besides your DL and carry permit it would be wise to have a card with the name and 24 hr. telephone number of a GOOD defense lawyer on retainer if need be in your billfold! The first rule is to say nothing not even your name and address until your lawyer gets there!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
This does sound like an interesting and useful class. How did you find out about it. I may see if something like this exists where I am at.

·
32,496 Posts
One can go to NRA.
You can contact the NRA via phone at:
NRA Member Programs
1-800-672-3888

Or call this and see if they have a program for you. They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There are two primary things to remember. #1 is that you only employ deadly force to prevent death or serious physical injury to yourself, or another innocent person. #2 is that you never shoot to wound, or to kill...you shoot only to stop the person from doing what they're doing.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
That same basic course is part of the course here for getting a conceal carry permit, here being Kentucky. We have to sit through a 2 hour video put out by the States Attorneys office on the laws pretty much explained in plain English and not legalize as well as details about what would and would not be legal as a shooting in SD. I actually found that part of the course pretty interesting as the laws of Kentucky only are covered. Our course is about 8 hours including lunch and range time. I've never taken a course before moving to Kentucky for a conceal carry permit though I went through a course at Quantico, Virginia in '79 though a completely different deal all together. I never went though any course before that though I had a conceal carry permit in 4 states over the years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts