Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I decided to start setting everything up and realized that it's not me it's the press so I'm turning to someone for some help :( what are the common problems for the primers not to feed. I think my problem is more so why won't they seat into the case? I can watch a primer go onto the seater pull the handle and then check the case and there's nothing.

Is it my carrier that isn't lining up? The press runs smoothly like it is lining up and all the other stations are working flawlessly.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
What is happening here is that powder is getting down into the primer feed mechanism because of spillage. You need to get a paintbrush and routinely clear out the area around the primer seating rod. Frankly, compressed air works best. I bought a 10 gallon air tank for $30 from my local Advance Auto Parts and use it with an airgun to blow out that stupid primer junction. You keep that bad boy clean and make sure it's properly adjusted for its timing through that screw on the side, and you should experience better feeding.

Honestly, the primer feed system is by and large the weakest point of the Lee Pro 1000.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
1. When priming, don't just push the handle with all your might. If there is resistance, jiggle the case to align it right.

2. Keep the primer tray full. When the tray goes empty, push it with a trimmed zip tie.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Finally I decided to start setting everything up and realized that it's not me it's the press so I'm turning to someone for some help :( what are the common problems for the primers not to feed. I think my problem is more so why won't they seat into the case? I can watch a primer go onto the seater pull the handle and then check the case and there's nothing.

Is it my carrier that isn't lining up? The press runs smoothly like it is lining up and all the other stations are working flawlessly.

Go here San Francisco Liberal...WITH A GUN! and download Cowboy T's video as well as the player. It will put an end to all your problems with the Lee Pro 1000. I bought two when I started used. I checked these out and did a few 1000 rounds with out a single problem before I decided to sell them and go with the Lee Classic Turret as I just didn't need that much volume of ammo for my shooting needs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is happening here is that powder is getting down into the primer feed mechanism because of spillage. You need to get a paintbrush and routinely clear out the area around the primer seating rod. Frankly, compressed air works best. I bought a 10 gallon air tank for $30 from my local Advance Auto Parts and use it with an airgun to blow out that stupid primer junction. You keep that bad boy clean and make sure it's properly adjusted for its timing through that screw on the side, and you should experience better feeding.

Honestly, the primer feed system is by and large the weakest point of the Lee Pro 1000.
I havent put any powder through yet. I was just starting out too see how everything worked and yes I was very frustrated but i started to thing that I had some of the wrong parts in the first place. I bought a Pro 1000 set up with 45 Colt dies, to which my dumbass didnt thing about it when i was ordering more parts and tools that i needed that the 45 Colt uses large pistol primers, 9mm doesnt. Correct case feeder and primer system ordered last night! The only sad part is that they arent supposed to be at my door until the 8th :(

Go here San Francisco Liberal...WITH A GUN! and download Cowboy T's video as well as the player. It will put an end to all your problems with the Lee Pro 1000. I bought two when I started used. I checked these out and did a few 1000 rounds with out a single problem before I decided to sell them and go with the Lee Classic Turret as I just didn't need that much volume of ammo for my shooting needs.
I saw a few of his videos on youtube but I had no clue that he was such a gold mine of info! Currently downloading ALL of it. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I got so fed up with the priming system on my Lee that I pulled it off and now hand prime all of my cases before loading.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really hoping that it doesn't happen that way for me.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I saw a few of his videos on youtube but I had no clue that he was such a gold mine of info! Currently downloading ALL of it. Thanks a bunch.
Yes, many are put of buy the name on the sight however he knows all the quirks there are on the Lee Pro 1000 and I never would of figured it out so quick without his videos. I now have gone from the Pro 1000 to a Lee Classic Turret and Lee Classic Cast single stage. I use the LCC for other things from sizing bullets, pulling jacketed bullets, loading 12 ga brass shot shells, with a universal decapping die, and using the bulge buster on 45 acp brass on occasion. I also use the decapping die with with a Lee Hand Press I carry in my range bag.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Ditto on the decapping die. I have one in it's own turret, so with the shell coallator on the 1000 it's very quick to decap with. It's great that it works for any caliber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts