Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Lee update kit on my Auto Disc powder measure and tried the micrometer adjustable charge bar. Has anyone else had a problem with one of these things ? It worked fine for about 25 throws set at 4 grains of Unique, but then it started to only drop about a grain and a half. I went back to using the discs.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I bought one and went back to using the disks also. Was having a hard time getting the charge bar to throw consistent charges.

·
Registered
24,539 Posts
Yeah, I gave up on the micrometer charge bar as it was not consistent.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I have used one for several years now and get consistent charge drops. You do have to play with it until you get it set right. Also, some powders will not work well with it, like H-110 and W 296 the grain design is such it will bind up the turn handle at times. The best powders I have found that work the best are HP-238, W 231, Bullseye, and IMR 4227; These are the ones I use the most of.

Let me also say, the micro charger came already on the powder dispenser, I guess that could be the difference.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I have one and a micro disc, have yet to use either one.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I read mixed reviews - had initial trouble with it and have set mine aside.

With 6.8 I am about to start using (trying) the double disc system on the Lee turret. Anyone have experience with that?

The charges for the 6.8 exceed the largest (1.57) single disc and trickling each load from a 223 case works but slows things down.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I just installed the Lee update kit on my Auto Disc powder measure and tried the micrometer adjustable charge bar. Has anyone else had a problem with one of these things ? It worked fine for about 25 throws set at 4 grains of Unique, but then it started to only drop about a grain and a half. I went back to using the discs.
I got one and had the same problems. But I tried some anti-static spray down the chute and let it dry. No problems to date. I had to clean out the powder dust first though or that stuff would have been glued to the inner surfaces.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts

With 6.8 I am about to start using (trying) the double disc system on the Lee turret. Anyone have experience with that?

The charges for the 6.8 exceed the largest (1.57) single disc and trickling each load from a 223 case works but slows things down.

The die that holds the measure needs a good cleaning often because bullet lube gets smeared inside the die and there is a problem with buildup. Whatever...I do keep my die cleaned out. also, you have to make sure the drop tube is screwed down far enough to make sure the sliding tube (?) opens up all the way. It is not the best charging system I have used so I weigh all charges with a Lyman Gen5 digital. I don't shoot that much pistol anyway. Usually use the turret for everything but powder dispensing. Yep, it's slow.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Reactions: tooboocoo

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts

I use the double disc kit with the .500 Mag. Works just fine.

Reactions: jwc007 and mingaa

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Last year I upgraded my 18 year old Lee Auto disc with the micrometer metering kit. Some powders didn't flow consistently till I used a knocker like you see on a lyman 55 powder measure. A light strike or two will let the powder fully fill the space and your loads will be consistant. A wood dowel or back side of a lead bullet works too...
Just be consistent with the number and force of the raps. I find 3 taps from a 200 grain bullet is great!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Last year I upgraded my 18 year old Lee Auto disc with the micrometer metering kit. Some powders didn't flow consistently till I used a knocker like you see on a lyman 55 powder measure. A light strike or two will let the powder fully fill the space and your loads will be consistant. A wood dowel or back side of a lead bullet works too...
Just be consistent with the number and force of the raps. I find 3 taps from a 200 grain bullet is great!
Good that is a fix but...

Reactions: tooboocoo

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I use them and can only mirror what hombre has said. I dust the device with mica before the initial use (I have four of them on different presses). If you take the time to determine a VMD for the specific lot of powder you are using, the micrometer is extremely accurate. I think the OP's issue with Unique isn't unique. You've got to take variation if you want to use it with any delivery device. I use the powder when no other powder fits the need and it just doesn't drop well. I do expect .1-grain variation with volume measured pistol charges, it is just the nature of the beast. I do expect three times that with Unique.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've used one for several years and find it to be accurate with the powders I use.It does not like Unique and you have to find your own way of getting it to drop Unique consistently,I tap the drop 3 times and that seems to work for me,my loads are all within a .2 grain most all the time like Ranch Dogs.They work good for me and I'm going to get one or two more,so if you want to sell yours let me know! morayman.........

Reactions: Ranch Dog

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Morayman, since you are a fan of the micrometer charge bar, send me your address and I will send you this one free of charge. I can't see charging someone for something I don't use and got for free anyway.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I sent you a personal PM,thanks for the offer and I'll take you up on it! Came just at the right time too,I just bought a new Lee powder drop! Thanks again,morayman..........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts