Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Lee michrometer charge bar?
I have the Lee Turret reloader. The Michrometer charge bar doesn't fit the safety powder dispenser correctly. Mine has the square hopper instead of the round hopper.
The powder cup doesn't fit directly under the dispenser. I thought of elongating the powder opening on the michrometer bar. This will make the calibration marks incorrect but if you weigh the charge, it should be OK. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I too have the Lee turret with the square hopper powder dispenser. Mine is working well. Not sure how you have yours set under the hopper. One thing, ease back on the screws that hold the hopper down. Mine will hang up, and not return to the loading position. I say Load for powder in the charge bar, and dump for the drop position.

After that, it works like a champ. Easy to change from loading 9 to 45, and back. I am about to see how much powder it will drop for rifle cartridges.

Paul

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Has anyone used the Lee michrometer charge bar?
I have the Lee Turret reloader. The Michrometer charge bar doesn't fit the safety powder dispenser correctly. Mine has the square hopper instead of the round hopper.
The powder cup doesn't fit directly under the dispenser. I thought of elongating the powder opening on the michrometer bar. This will make the calibration marks incorrect but if you weigh the charge, it should be OK. Any suggestions?
well anyone that has the older square powder setup and the standard lee auto disk powder measure will do themselves a great favor by going to the Midway site and buying the upgrade kit for the auto disk powder measure.
, you get the new round powder box, the micrometer charge bar, swivel connection so the powder emasure sits forward and various other parts.
I replaced the powder box, added the swivel and tried the micrometer bar.
best money i have spent in a long time!
I think the set is about 17 bucks at midway!
totally different, superior setup to the standard powder measure.
the micro charge bar works perfectly and the bonus is with the wiper on the round box no spillage of any powders as the setup works.
The best feature to me is that the round powder box has brass nuts that are removed from the screws, so no screwing them in and out, use the fingers, and never strip out the plastic box.

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I also have the charge bar & upgrade kit. Only problem I have is with Titegroup powder! I just can't get it to meter well in the Auto Disc. Works in the perfect powder measure but not the AD!! My other powders work fine!!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I use the micrometer adjustable charge bar for very small charges of fine powder. I find it especially good for use with Accurate #2 light charges for 38 S&W. I know it can be problematic with courser powders. Good tool, but applicable only to select applications, just like all other tools.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Like pmooreknife said, it should work fine with either powder dispenser. The parts are all interchangable, because they are basically the same design. For small loads I actually prefer the square one, with everything snugged down, it drops much more consistently. The Pro give me fits with flake powder and small charges, roughly those below 3.5 grains.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the micrometer adjustable charge bar for very small charges of fine powder. I find it especially good for use with Accurate #2 light charges for 38 S&W. I know it can be problematic with courser powders. Good tool, but applicable only to select applications, just like all other tools.

I've been using SR 700 X. Maybe that's too coarse for my 3.8 charge that I was loading. I think I'll change to IMR 7625 and give it another try. Although it looks like the charge opening on the micrometer doesn't line up with the opening in the hopper.
I changed back to the disks and have no problems. I just get tired of taking the hopper off every time I want to change the load. HA guess I'm getting lazy. :D

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I have the older, rectangular powder hopper, and I have had the micrometer adjustable for it. It has worked for me for a long time.

You are right, for extremely small charges of larger, coarser-grained powder, it may not provide the exactness you require. Particularly, Unique and 700-X in charges of less than 4 grains, I find it gives variances, though generally no more than 0.1 grains, but at those small loads, that gets near to being "significant". Over 4 grains of those, it seems to provide acceptable measurement.

I love it for ball powders (like Accurate #5), it is virtually impossible to get a variance, likewise Titegroup. Good stuff.

Flash

·
Registered
733 Posts
I like the charge bar set up, I find that it's very consistent.
But i use mine with the Pro Auto-Disk and 3 powders (HP-38,Tightgroup & Longshot)
like "olfarhors" mentioned the update kit is fairly reasonable in price and i really don't like messing
with the factory set up, they spend lots of time and $$$ on R&D.... JMHO

·
17,572 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
OK!! So I got frustrated with the charge bar last night & I ordered a Hornady Auto Charge powder dispenser!!

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
I've been using SR 700 X. Maybe that's too coarse for my 3.8 charge that I was loading. I think I'll change to IMR 7625 and give it another try. Although it looks like the charge opening on the micrometer doesn't line up with the opening in the hopper.
I changed back to the disks and have no problems. I just get tired of taking the hopper off every time I want to change the load. HA guess I'm getting lazy. :D
another plus that i forgot to mention is the round powder dispenser has a powder cutoff on it, so you can remove the cannister without emptying it, which is beneficial if changing the disk size, as in using the same powder but different calibers, or changing the projectile (load) course you need to run the powder out of the cavity by using a empty case to empty it then just throw it back in the top of the round powder cannister.
I use it with Unique, Accurate #5 and HP -38 wiht no problems, althoguh i seldom load at below 4 grians except for the 380.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Update: Ordered the Hornady Auto Charge from Wideners last Friday!! Big mistake!!!! They charged my CC immediately but when I asked when my order would be processed & shipped they told me then end of this week!! Their excuse was that they are behind!! HUH???? Not happy!! They lost a customer!!!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I also have the charge bar & upgrade kit. Only problem I have is with Titegroup powder! I just can't get it to meter well in the Auto Disc. Works in the perfect powder measure but not the AD!! My other powders work fine!!
OK!! So I got frustrated with the charge bar last night & I ordered a Hornady Auto Charge powder dispenser!!
BW, I have three of the Auto Disk powder dispensers and I haven't had any issues with TiteGroup. I also have four AD Pros for use on a turret and three progressive presses. I do think that these dispensers work best on presses that experiences motion (Lee Turret) or are being bumped (Lee Load Master) as the motion or bump lightly packs the powder in the cavities for a more consistent load to load delivery.

One of my AD is so old that it has the transparent grey square hopper on a chromed base. Still works like a champ. I use them all the different delivery options; Basic disks, Micro Disks, and Adjustable Charge Bar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts