Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good afternoon

has anyone used a Lee 3 in 1 speed die? im not sure what it does and what other dies you need with it?

i know lee dies are good but not sure of this

thanks in advance

Larry

·
Super Moderator
35,982 Posts
I don't have nor ever tried a 3 in 1 die. The idea is that it's faster than changing dies on a single stage press. I'm not sure the design, but assume the decaper comes out and a flair head goes in, then a seating head.. I don't see how it could be THAT much faster, frankly. The thing still has to be adjusted, right? I load on a 6 stage turret or on my progressives. I really don't have a use for the 3 in 1.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

right now i only have a single so i thought it might be faster ,i am going to up grade to a 4 hole turret

·
Registered
94 Posts
Add me to the Lee Classic Turret Press group. It's a semi-progressive press (4 pulls per round) that can be used single-stage if you have the need. With the Safety Prime and Pro Auto Powder Disk Measure, I can load 50 rounds in 20 minutes with ease. That includes checking every round in a case gage.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a single stage Lee press and with the amount of reloading I do that's probably all I'll ever need. I'd recommend the Lee Deluxe Pistol Die Set, if that's what you're shooting. It has four dies, one being a crimp and post size case carbide die. You'll be set for now and you will be able to use it in your upgrade when that time comes. Don't get rid of your single stage when you upgrade, you'll find other uses for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a single stage Lee press and with the amount of reloading I do that's probably all I'll ever need. I'd recommend the Lee Deluxe Pistol Die Set, if that's what you're shooting. It has four dies, one being a crimp and post size case carbide die. You'll be set for now and you will be able to use it in your upgrade when that time comes. Don't get rid of your single stage when you upgrade, you'll find other uses for it.
I'll second that!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Once you go turret, you'll never regret it, not having to reset dies is great, not having to handle those little 9mm cases 4 times to load them alone is well worth the $100. Being able to separate the bullet seating & crimping is very useful as well, I always thought that was a pain to get setup. I don't see my single stage ever getting used again. I have 2 extra turrets waiting to go.

I won't use the Lee powder measure for rifle though, I'll keep using the RCBS measure for that.

++The Lee 4 die sets for pistol, only way to go and only $32, & Lee collet die sets for bolt action rifle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree,
Go with a lee 4 turret and lee delux carbide 4 die set for pistols. Best value out there and lee dies are much easier to set up than RCBS dies I've used to reload for friends/family. Nice thing about the turret press is you can buy a turret for each caliber you reload and all you have to do is set the dies once and just change the turrett. I've loaded thousand of rounds in about 10 calibers with with my lee turret. And yes, keep the single stage, you will use it and will have to use it to reload long length cases like 30-06 and 300 win mag. If your like me, I started with a lee single stage thinking "oh, I'll only reload for this caliber"...yeah right! I've been sucked into reloading for everything I shoot (except 410 bore) over the last few years and I really do enjoy it!

·
Super Moderator
35,982 Posts
All my pistol dies except on my Dillon Square Deal, of course, are the three die Lee sets. I really like the Lee taper crimp dies, though, for auto pistols. I have a Lee Pro 1000 progressive, now, that works if you get the routine down, not a great press, but all my Lee stuff works on it. I do .357 and .45ACP on it. My Dillon is a PITA to change calibers on, so it's just set up for 9x19.

I don't have a rifle die EXCEPT for 7.62x39, in Lee dies. They're all Hornady, RCBS, or old Pacifics. I'm not sure why, but I just don't buy Lee rifle dies. I'm sure they're just as good. I like the Hornadys, good value. I use the Lee pistol dies for the powder through expander with the Lee auto disc measure. It's quite fast and easy to use and is required on the progressive. I have another measure, but like the auto disc and even use the measure to dole out powder for a few rifle calibers with a double disc conversion. I do 7.62x39 and .308 Winchester with it.

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
I've never used the speed dies, but have several standard Lee die sets (.308, 7X57, 8X57, .357/.38 Special, .45 ACP, and .44 magnum), a Lee bench press, a Lee hand press, and a couple of those Lee Loaders where you use a hammer ... that's how I got started rolling my own.

I also have a couple of RCBS dies.

I like the Lee dies, except when that "unbreakable" decapping pin breaks.

·
Super Moderator
35,982 Posts
Big Ugly Tall Texan said:
I like the Lee dies, except when that "unbreakable" decapping pin breaks.
My son-in-law has a penchant for breaking those, busted my .45ACP decapper. The hull he broke it on was boxer primed, so wastn't that. I broke one on a rock in a 9mm hull I'd picked up at the range, check 'em closely now when I pick 'em up. Yeah, unbreakable. ROFL

·
Registered
307 Posts
Breaking stuff seems to be the norm for son's and sons n law. I believe I remember my Pop having some issues about the way I used his tools. That problem usually clears up when you make 'em buy their own junk.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use RCBS dies but for the crimping stage I love the Lee dies. The RCBS seat/crimp die is adjusted to seat only. I use a fixed lock ring on the Lee crimp and adjust for head contact + 1 turn. This gives me the correct amount of crimp without over working the brass. On heavy magnums I may go 1 1/4 turn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.