Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get the point of this.

I guess if you're using the lock rings that Lee supplies it makes sense, as you don't need to adjust the dies each time. I never liked the Lee lock rings because they have no set screw or other method to lock the ring to the die. I throw them out and replace them with the Hornady rings, which have a set screw across a gap in the ring to lock it to the die.

The Hornady rings are cheaper, less than $3 each if you buy 6 at a time. Sure-Loc Die Locking Ring 7/8-14 Thread

O.K. the breech lock is quicker. But how long does it take to screw a die in? 5 seconds? vs. 1 second for the breech lock? Seems like a meaningless time savings on a single stage press!

Lee should just supply their dies with locking rings like everybody else. Seems like they've engineered an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Father got tired of it as well, Bought 6 Hornady lock rings and went with that. The difference I guess is because it is their own design and it holds in it place. You know, It won't come loose or move around ahhh what do I know Im just guessing lol but I agree.

Those things have made it harder for me to actually remove dies sometimes. Im probably just doing it wrong but I prefer the lock rings on Hornady & RCBS.

·
Super Moderator
35,525 Posts
I should get some of those. I have found the Lee "o ring" press fit system will move around after a while.

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should get some of those. I have found the Lee "o ring" press fit system will move around after a while.
I've tried most every kind of lock ring, and those are my favorite. Some others have locking screws that bear on the threads of the die. Even if it's brass tipped it seems to ding the threads enough after a while to make the ring difficult to remove. Or they don't have flats you can get a wrench on if you need to when one gets a little stuck.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I reckon if you don't like the Lee die breech lock bushings, you would have been better served not buying that press? I have had no negative issues with mine.

In truth I have also not experienced any negative issues with the o-ring lock rings, on my single stage or my turret. Once just snug they stay in place for me. O-rings work.

Reactions: paulrabe78 and BW64

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reckon if you don't like the Lee die breech lock bushings, you would have been better served not buying that press? I have had no negative issues with mine.

In truth I have also not experienced any negative issues with the o-ring lock rings, on my single stage or my turret. Once just snug they stay in place for me. O-rings work.
Never said I owned one, but I'm shopping for a single stage and was trying to figure out why they did that. I have used the Lee lock rings and never had a problem with them moving, but I snug it a tad with a wrench. Even with that, if for example on a crimp die, you have to readjust your crimp every time. If the ring is locked to die you just screw it in. That way you get a consistent crimp session to session.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My bad, I misread your original post. I presumed your complaint about the breech lock design came from actual experience using it. FWIW I have used the bushings and they work just fine, no problems that I recall.

Regarding the o-ring lock rings, the readjusting issue has not been my experience with the Lee dies. Once set they tend to stay set.

Fortunately set screw type lock rings are readily available and affordable for those who want to use them. I run a couple different bullet styles/weights in 9mm and .45ACP and as such appreciate not needing wrenches when setting up for a reloading session.

Search results for: die lock rings

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bad, I misread your original post. I presumed your complaint about the breech lock design came from actual experience using it. FWIW I have used the bushings and they work just fine, no problems that I recall.

Regarding the o-ring lock rings, the readjusting issue has not been my experience with the Lee dies. Once set they tend to stay set.

Fortunately set screw type lock rings are readily available and affordable for those who want to use them. I run a couple different bullet styles/weights in 9mm and .45ACP and as such appreciate not needing wrenches when setting up for a reloading session.

Search results for: die lock rings
I'm sure the bushings work, I just fail to see how it is any better than a simple lock ring, especially since it costs more. There's the same functionality for a Lee lock ring on a die in a Lee Breech Lock bushing as there is for just a simple lock ring on the die.

Re-adjusting your die is an issue, unless you never remove it from the press. Not so much during a reloading session, but between multiple reloading sessions.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I mostly only reload on my turret these days. If die bushings and o-ring lock rings don't float yer canoe? We all have the good fortune of other options from some of the other makers. You only gotta make you happy and that's why that ice cream joint makes all them flavors.

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
when I use to reload rifle and wildcat cartridges I used the same projectile, powder etc everytime, for that application I used the true lock screws for the dies a shtye were never readjsusted, I use several different projectiles in the same caliber now and i enjoy the LEE system of locking the die, i have little if any trouble with them myself.

·
Super Moderator
35,525 Posts
I don't use the indexing rod on my Lee turret press since after the plastic piece broke I got used to just flipping the dies with my off hand. I actually find it faster as I don't have to cycle the lever as far. I have noticed that the dies can move if I don't have them snugged down well with that kind of operation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts