Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added an ACB to my Deluxe Turret a while back and hated it at first. I tightened the hopper mounting screws as I normally did the first time I installed it and it kept coccasionally sticking and missing a charge (caught it visually each time). Worked OK when I loosened the screws a little. Then changed over to Silhouette and it leaked out (had to tightened the xcrews up a bit). Once I got it dialed in, I found I really like it because it makes changeover so much easier and it has finer adjustment than the fixed holes in the powder dies. It is also very repeatable.

I did discover a small quirk that I should have realized ahead of time (this is why I have such a calloused forehead - continual head slaps). There is a small difference in the powder drop depending on whether you adjust from a smaller size to the desired setting, or from a larger size to the desired setting. Adjustment screw systems like on the ACB always have some play or slop, so I should have expected it. It isn't large, in my case with Silhouette at .38 cc what had been a 4.9+ gr became a 4.8 gr drop, but it might be more important with smaller charges. I turned the screw adjustment to a larger size then back to .38 cc and the charge went back to 4.9+ gr (meaning usually settling on 4.9 gr but sometimes flashing 5.0 gr on my digital scale). From now on, I'll always develop the setting tightening from large to small (never just "opening it up a bit") and then always return to the setting from a larger setting.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
I think that you will find that the measure also works a lot better once you have ran enough powder through it to get a little coating of Graphite from the powder built on the surfaces.
Most plastic parts in relaoding are that way it seems.

Reactions: BW64

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Olfarhors, I hadn't thought about the self lubricating characteristics of the powder, but that probably is a large part of why it works so well today but gave me fits when new. As I think about it, it was a litle stiff with the Auto Disks as well when new. I'll have to be careful not to clean the "dry" (no oil) parts of the press too well. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, you have to run an entire hopper through it before you use it to get the coating on it (if i remember correctly, I believe it said something about it in the instructions, but when i went to look at them i couldn't find where it said it) either way, it only ever needs done once. after that you just wipe with a a dry cloth, no cleaner or anything to take the graphite away. also, if you don't have the pro-auto disk, get the update, the screws stripped the hopper on mine after awhile so i had to get the new update kit, and its alot better IMO, its nice to be able to shut the flow of powder off after i'm done, less spillage.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
Olfarhors, I hadn't thought about the self lubricating characteristics of the powder, but that probably is a large part of why it works so well today but gave me fits when new. As I think about it, it was a litle stiff with the Auto Disks as well when new. I'll have to be careful not to clean the "dry" (no oil) parts of the press too well. Thanks for the tip.
Yep, that dirty old powder residue is good for a few things!
You are right about the auto disk as well, actully most all powder measures that i have used over the yeras were this way.
as for the upgraded auto disk or the pro model right form the start in my opinion its a smart way to go.
its hard to beleive that there is that much difference in the convience and operation of the pro model for only a few bucks more.
I am surprized that Lee still even offers the stanadard auto disk.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
Yes, you have to run an entire hopper through it before you use it to get the coating on it (if i remember correctly, I believe it said something about it in the instructions, but when i went to look at them i couldn't find where it said it) either way, it only ever needs done once. after that you just wipe with a a dry cloth, no cleaner or anything to take the graphite away. QUOTE]

I don't think that I have seen that in the directions, could be, I normally don't read directions (or maps) until i am lost, in either regard!-LOL
it is kind of a known thing I think among those that have reloaded for a while.
I imagine that its a combination of parts wearing to match each other and some lubrication by the graphite.
welcome to the forum as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you, olfarhors. My recent purchase of a pt1911 brought me here. its a great site. :)

the whole thing about putting a hopper through it first started bugging me so i searched through my books and found it. it was for the lee perfect powder measure, and its apparently so the nylon parts can get coated in graphite to bleed of any static, which we all know is bad around gunpowder ;) if you don't do it, the measure won't give consistent charges until the nylon is coated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oldfarhors, I'm not sure what you mean about the upgraded Aiuto Disk, maybe because mine is new (bought the Deluxe Turret Kit including the powder measure last May). I've never seen or tried the Pro model, but I think the Auto Disk is really slick and works great (the small start up items notwithstanding).

When I started out reloading last year, I was extremely cautious in everything I did, so the break in occurred while I was watching every step like a hawk. As I have gained confidence in the reliability of the system (over 3500 cartridges loaded since last May between .38 and 9 mm), I don't check as many cases as I used to, but I still can't just go on auto-pilot like a mechanized progressive.

I really like the turret press because it is "mistake-proofed" in that the cartridge has to go through every operation in order and I can visually confirm the powder charge in every case (except some .38 Specials), but I have to admit there are times when I wish I was getting 100 cartridges for 100 pulls of the handle, not 400. Why doesn't Lee make a four station Pro 1000, because I really like the FCD and wouldn't want to give it up. With the amount I'm able to shoot, I'll be using the turret for quite a while, so I guess it really doesn't make much diffence to me after all haw fast they come out with a new model:).

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
The upgrade to the powder measure will include a round powder dispenser that holds a bit more powder, but it has an on/off position so you can take the hopper off with the powder still in it and change the disk size if you need to, this comes in handy when i am using the same powder for different calibers.
the real good thing to me is that the upgrade dispenser has a set of knurled knobs to remove the dispenser from the powder measure and does away with those darned screws that tend to strip out after very little use.
I think Midaway sells the upgrade for about 16 bucks or so.
IF you have the square hopper its the standard measure, if you have the round hopper its the upgrade measure.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I finally found the listing for the upgrade kit and if I had known about this I might never have ordered the ACB. I was originally attracted to the ACB for the ability to change the charge size without the drill (emptying the hopper, removing those screws (hard to get to), changing the disk, reassemble, start loading) of changing the disk. Found I like the ability to make finer adjustments, particularly where the difference between the starting and maximum loads are pretty close together. I may still do the upgrade for some of the other features it adds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The ability to turn the flow on and off is well worth it IMHO if you are going to need to be changing disks. makes life alot easier, plus no screw driver anymore to mount the hopper. i haven't used the ACB that i have, but from what i read about it people have had trouble with it so it just sits in the box on the shelf. I was thinking of getting the double disk, if i do i might take it out and fiddle with it for a bit.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
I agree and have the ACB as well, but for mass production (well as mass as i get with a turret press) the auto disk does well for me,
I will normally run 2-300 rounds of the same ammo caliber and weight at a time.
for those special in between loads on specific ammo the ACB works well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts