1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: Least and Most Expensive Cities For Living in the U.S.A.

I don't know about average price, but I bought a house recently and I only paid around $80,000. Nice sized five bedroom house with 4 acres wooded not too far from town.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts

The average include all those who are on welfare as far as income. I wish these studies only included folks who worked for a living.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts

Average home price is a misnomer. For example, if you take a 100 lot community and most of the houses are $150,000 and toss in four or five that are recent new construction that are valued at $750,000 and you really skew the average home price.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts

Well I've owned two houses in my life both in Miami Florida. The first one I bought in 64 when I got married, a 2 bedroom 2 bath with dinning room, Florida room, living and kitchen on a 1/4 acre of land. I paid $10,000 for it with $100 down with a 30 year mortgage with $35 a month payments. Sold it 4 years later to Calder race track to tear down and turn into a parking lot for $22500. The second house I bought at that time from a friend who just got a divorce and paid $36K for it. Sold it 5 years later due to no work in Florida and moved to Texas. Made money on it also but it sold last year for over $1 million go figure.

Now I live in an apartment at my storage facility so yes it is pretty inexpensive for me in Kentucky.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

to bad it's not a full list im curios where ohio places.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Living here in Hawaii I see and feel the pain of the cost of living. I'm not surprised we're ranked 2nd Most Expensive after New York (with its ridiculous taxes).

On average here though it about $3.98 for a gallon of regular gas and about $5.78 for a gallon of milk.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts

"A New Yorker would have to make $127,935 a year to have the same standard of living as someone earning $50,000 in Fort Smith, Ark., the least expensive city."

Did that...and then some for a few years....luckily my pension years :) :)

·
Registered
2,481 Posts

TGM - I'm in West MI too. From what I've seen those numbers aren't even close to what we see here.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Canton, OH was in Forbes most depressed areas to live. It's an old steel and railway area. On the outskirts of it there is lots of farm country. The cost of living is low and there are some good school systems in the surrounding townships. As far as the city goes its not bad. There are some good restaurants, Football Hall of Fame, not that this week matters at all to this town, and the Football Hall of Fame (I think I said that earlier).

Our gas prices are on the lower side of the average, lot's of farms gives us good prices on produce and I know that school clothing shopping is a heck of lot cheaper than WPB, FL. My sister said she was going to come up here some time just to do all my nieces shopping for the year. Local Wally World had WBW 9mm ammo 100 rds for $23 in stock today.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Las Vegas, NV. Homes are going for under 100K. And they are pretty new. And Jobs are available!! Im 70 and was able to land a job in a major Hotel as a security officer.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

goyena70 said:
Las Vegas, NV. Homes are going for under 100K. And they are pretty new. And Jobs are available!! Im 70 and was able to land a job in a major Hotel as a security officer.
Do you get to carry a gun?

·
Registered
616 Posts

Yes! and an X26 Taser and pepper spray

·
Registered
435 Posts

Noskov said:
Living here in Hawaii I see and feel the pain of the cost of living. I'm not surprised we're ranked 2nd Most Expensive after New York (with its ridiculous taxes).

On average here though it about $3.98 for a gallon of regular gas and about $5.78 for a gallon of milk.
Yeah, I was just in Hawaii on vacation and couldn't believe the prices on some of that stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts