Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always shot 9mm FMJ bullets. I've always heard stories about lead bullets causing fouling of the barrel and causing more serious problems. I now own a Raging Judge Magnum and would like to shoot some 45 Colt and 454 Casull, but with the shortages I'm having a real hard time finding jacketed ammo.

Who shoots lead bullets?
How do you clean your barrel afterwards?

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
I shoot lead bullets. It's complicated. With the .454 your gonna need a gas checked bullet. With the .45 Colt at moderate velocities that wouldn't be necessary. Properly done, where your load is matched to the bullet hardness and you have the proper diameter there is no leading. If you get some then a Lewis Lead Remover or a patch cut from a Miracle Cloth and a jagged tip will remove it. But leading is an indication that you've got something wrong.

If you want to shoot lead, you need to slug your barrel, AND measure the cylinder throats. In general you size to the throats, but if there's a huge mis-match between throat diameter and bore diameter it may not be resolvable. Hot loads=hard bullets, softer loads=softer bullets.

But there's a lot to it.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I load my own and use lead almost exclusively now in 2 rifles and a dozen hand guns in 9mm, 45 ACP and 45 Colt for hand guns. I also shot a 45 Colt and 45-70 both lever action rifles. The secret to shooting lead is the bullet fit to the barrel, proper lubrication for the powder type as well as the proper powder amount to the bullet hardness. Leading by the way isn't that big a deal either as a lot of gun cleaning products will simply take it away.

I've also shot some factory ammo mostly cowboy action stuff that used soft lead bullets with out a problem of any kind of bad fouling or leading.

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
I shoot lead in .32 Long, .327 Mag, 9mm, .38 spl, .357mag, .45acp, and .45 long. No leading problems. I do clean my barrels with #9 and a brass brush after every range trip. Only caliber I don't use lead is .380 only because I have not got around to it yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great information. I believe a couple of you are talking about reloading ammunition as I have no idea what you're talking about. I do plan on getting into reloading in the future, but not until the present shortages is over. Right now I just want some ammunition I can shoot (and save the brass for the future) and enjoy my new toy.

I've ordered some 45 Colt lead ammunition and a Lewis lead remover kit.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
If you are shooting factory lead rounds you shouldn't have any trouble, they match the alloy to the velocity of the load and you should get little or no leading.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Thanks for all the great information. I believe a couple of you are talking about reloading ammunition as I have no idea what you're talking about. I do plan on getting into reloading in the future, but not until the present shortages is over. Right now I just want some ammunition I can shoot (and save the brass for the future) and enjoy my new toy.

I've never had any leading with any factory ammo using lead in my life so I wouldn't worry about it. Factory stuff is designed to shoot through damn near any gun of that caliber on the market really. Kind of generic one size fits all stuff. Hence wanting to reload ones own as you can tune the ammo to a particular firearm giving better performance.

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts

Yeah, I assumed you were reloading when you mentioned the .454, as factory lead in that doesn't exist, at least I've never heard of it. Maybe Buffalo Bore has some.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glenwolde, actually what you read was stupidity, I'm new to the RJM and besides having read a bit on reloading I've never even tried it, yet. As soon as prices and supplies get back to normal I'm going to try my hand at loading. From the looks of things I have a lot to learn.

I'm figuring on loading 45s and buying 454s, I'm planning on using 45s for the range and zeroing in the scope then use 454s for final check on the range and for hunting. Since I don't plan on shooting that much 454 I figure it will be cheaper just to buy what I need. I could be wrong.

While we're on the subject, I guess I can highjack my own post, I'm collecting brass now, should I go ahead and buy a deprimer and brass cleaning equipment now and start cleaning the brass as I go, or just wait?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Glenwolde, actually what you read was stupidity, I'm new to the RJM and besides having read a bit on reloading I've never even tried it, yet. As soon as prices and supplies get back to normal I'm going to try my hand at loading. From the looks of things I have a lot to learn.

I'm figuring on loading 45s and buying 454s, I'm planning on using 45s for the range and zeroing in the scope then use 454s for final check on the range and for hunting. Since I don't plan on shooting that much 454 I figure it will be cheaper just to buy what I need. I could be wrong.

While we're on the subject, I guess I can highjack my own post, I'm collecting brass now, should I go ahead and buy a deprimer and brass cleaning equipment now and start cleaning the brass as I go, or just wait?

Personally I don't see anyreason not to just save it till later. If your not going to reload yet, what's the sence in depriming and or sizing? By the time you buy the tools for depriming and sizing, for a few dollars more you can have all you need to start reloading.
Reloading is a very rewarding hobby. I shoot almost exclusivly cast (lead) bullets with no more problem than if I shoot jacketed bullets. I clean my guns after every shoot with what ever gun cleaning products are available in my cleaning kit. Never notice any leading problems.
Buying your ammo every time you want to go shooting is time consuming and expensive. Especially with large caliber weapons, you will start saving money after the first few boxes of ammo you load. You could reasonably save more than half the cost of buying commercial ammo. JMHO

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts

You could go either way, wait, or slowly build up your equipment here and there. No harm no foul either way. With the price of .454 being what it is, you might as well load that too, I think you can use the same die set for both...??? So all you'd need is some jacketed bullets and a different powder, and probably magnum primers I would assume. Since you don't have to buy anything other than a few components, I think you'd save some money right off the bat.

.45 Colt should be fairly easy to load inexpensively, some lead bullets... $42.00 /500...powder, let's say Unique...a pound will do 875 or so..some primers...add in some freight and figuring you're buying small quantities retail....I'm guessing $7.75 a box for .45 Colt with zero brass cost.

.454 Loads will run a lot more, like $20.00 because of more powder and more expensive jacketed bullets. But $20 per 50 is cheap compared to factory stuff, and you won't have to add any equipment so why the hell not?

Added: Wow! I just checked, .454 factory is over a dollar a round. That round kills three ways: downrange, recoil, and your wallet.

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
I dont think it will hurt much to start buying cleaning equipment now but I would suggest buying up as much lead as you can get your hands on. The equipment will always be there but the components are drying up as the availability of rounds is scarce. Nothing is more frustrating than planning on a nice relaxing time doing reloads to realize you have no boowits to put in cleaned, primed and charged rounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.