Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any problem with shooting all-lead bullets through a .38 Special Taurus Ti M85? It has the compensator holes drilled downward in the barrel on either side of the front sight. Just curious, since I heard a long time ago that all-lead bullets weren't recommended in comp'd barrels.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Let me just say off the bat the post below is 100% speculation:

It seems to me that it would be a bad idea. The lead might shave off in the comps and foul it all up. Kind of like a cheese grater.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'Kay, thanks...I sorta figured that was what'd happen.

I phoned the Taurus factory and they told me my ti snubbie was rated for +P ammo. Does anyone know how much muzzle velocity the comp'd 2-inch barrel loses versus a non-comp'd barrel? I don't have access to a chronograph anymore, so I've not had a chance to chrony any ammo out of that little M85. The wife carries it, and I want it to work if she ever needs it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The short answer is not enough to matter. The differences between the individual barrels/guns will likely make more of a difference. This is something that keeps popping up. And I'll admit that I can't think of where I read the article that went.

I think most 38 special loads are aimed at the shorter barreled carry gun so I wouldn't worry any over it. The quality of the hit will likely matter more than whatever little bit of velocity is lost (and the numbers were real small).

Qwiks Draw gave a good write-up on some things to keep in mind with a comped gun. I just did a quick check and didn't see it but maybe he'll point you in the right direction.

Steelheart

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Super...thanks for your time and advice. I've been a metro cop for 35 years and the choices that American defensive shooters have in ammo and weaponry are so much better than years ago.

·
32,619 Posts
There are potential serious drawbacks to snubbie ported revolvers for a number of reasons. Most attacks are close in, within body contact distance.If one has to keep the gun in close to the body as is done in many circumstances, the hot blow torch gasses are being directed toward the body parts and head through the porting while the gun is firing. This causing bodily harm. Could be major harm. Especially if the head is close to the gas stream or other parts of the body are very close to the port. If unsighted and indexed fire is used the same effect as above can happen.

Then there is night vision being affected by the fireball coming out the porting. In a battle having night vision go blank or fuzzy for any period of time in low light could be fatal.Can't see the attacker clearly.

Last , but not least is the noise level is drastically amplified backward and can be debilitating or disorienting. Has happened in real cases and been documented.

Since no one can be sure exactly how a fight is going to go down or proceed, this is taking ones chances. The porting may work as advertised or make a bad situation worse.

Porting does make sense for 4 inches and longer with the more powerful cartridges. Most will be used for hunting.

Gunwriters are going back to praising porting on defensive revolvers recently. Gun Tests and Handguns had such articles.

Reality of tactics and consequences in the articles were not covered or considered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts