Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all , sorry its friday and martinit time, I am thinking of loading, opps,
reloading 9 mm for my 1939 vintage mauser Luger , any tips would be appreciated ,
, many thanks, rojo

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Start with the 124 gr or 147 gr projectile. load medium pressure/velocity to start, if you find that function is not completely satisfactory, then begin to hike it up a bit - a little at a time, until you get function and quit there. Pay strict attention to pressures as your loading manual shows, don't over do it.

The old guns were designed for heavier projectiles from the start.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
howdy , great , whats a good podwer to start with I have accrucate #2, 231,
unique , 700x ,& 2400 ???
new to 9mm

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
howdy , great , whats a good podwer to start with I have accrucate #2, 231,
unique , 700x ,& 2400 ???
new to 9mm
Looks like no 2 would likely be your most versitile option, although, unique, 700x, 231 all have loads listed for heavier bullets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Get yourself a copy of Handloader magazine, OCT 2019, Issue #322, and turn to page #42, Pet Loads, 9mm Luger, by Brian Pearce. Lots of discussion on how to reload the 9mm, including taper crimps, and data for 300 loads. It should still be on the newsstands.

Now if you are looking for an authentic cartridge for the WWI Luger, try a box of Fiocchi's #9APC. It is a 124 grain FMJTC (Full Metal Jacket-Truncated Cone) that is the closest I have ever seen to the original German 9mm round that the Brits tried to get outlawed in WWI.

My top powders for 9mm are Power Pistol, AutoComp, Longshot, CFE Pistol, Universal Clays, Ramshot Silhoutte, and Accurate #5.

·
Administrator
17,820 Posts
I don't run lead bullets in my 1936 S/42 Mauser made Luger. I have run Lead Bullets in my WWII AC44 Code P38, but I still prefer to run FMJ or Plated Bullets in that.

What I do run is any plain Winchester or Remington Surplus 124 grain FMJ over 5.0 grains of Alliant Green Dot, loaded to an OAL of 1.15, lit by either a Federal or Winchester Small Pistol Primer. Velocities average 1150 fps. This perfectly simulates WWII loadings run by both sides of WWII, and will also function in any SMG.

Reactions: GreenWolf70
1 - 6 of 6 Posts