Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well wasn't sure exactly where to post this so if need be the higher authorities can move it at their will/need.
If any of you have cared or even interested in my thoughts and opinions over the years as to certain weapons being pocket carry--AKA belly guns.
there is an article that appears in the recent issue of Shooting illustrated that read as if I had written it myself, minus the mis spelled words of course.
anyway my feelings have always been that a so called belly gun should also be accurate at distances farther than 3-5 -7 yards.
this is often the subject with the micro small pistols that have poor sights (in day light much less dark) and poor heavy long trigger pulls and long resets.
anyway if you get a chance read this article.
I think it makes some very good points.
sorry don't have a link-- perhaps someone else can provide that.
it was written by retired Sheriff Jim Wilson, of course this is just another opinion like mine but he does have some experience in the field.
anyway again just food for thought before deciding on a particular weapon.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
He's his website

Sheriff Jim Wilson - Singer, Gunslinger, SheriffSheriff Jim Wilson | Singer, Gunslinger, Sheriff

I've always graded my guns on accuracy at distance using center of mass on an IDPA or IPSC type target. If it can do it at 50 yards it is a keeper.

To many assume that I'm referring to use a defensive pistol at that distance. It is a pure test of accuracy and whether or not the sights are usable or the accuracy sucks.
Handguns that have passed test shouldn't surprise anyone.

Revolvers
Taurus 85, 66, 627 Tracker, Taurus 608, Taurus Raging Bull
Ruger SP101, Security 6, Super/Blackhawk, Super/Redhawk
S&W (even some of the snubbies)
Colt Anaconda(Only Colt I ever tested, other than the single actions.)
Dan Wessons
Freedom Arms

Autos:
Most 1911's regardless of country of origin
Most Beretta 92's and 96's
Most Taurus 92's, 99's, 100's, 101's, PT-111, 140, 145, 24/7, 900 series, any 800 series.
Most Glocks (Once you get over the horrible trigger)
Walther 99, PP, PPK, PPK/S, PPQ, CCP, PPS, Creed.
High point 9C (this one surprised me and it seems consistent from pistol to pistol)
Ruger SR series and later. (I've encountered bad P89's and P90's, Ruger did fix them)
S&W (every one I messed with minus the Body Guard has done well. I can't do it with it, but have seen people who have)
Most Star pistols, but I have encountered bad Fire Star's
Most Makarov pistols (Only death warmed over and ran over by a T-34 seems to kill these)
Most Tokarev pistols (Only death warmed over and ran over by a T-34 seems to kill these)
CZ (Enough said)
Sig (Disgustingly consistent):devil:
HK (I hate them) :mad:
Most EAA Witness pistols (Tanfoglio, this includes the P9's from Springfield Armory)
Most Canick pistols (A lot of Turkish manufactures do well)
Most of the Springfield XD line.

If it isn't mentioned, it just means I've not tried one.

Now guns I've run into that had problems.

Late made Colt SAA's. The money people dish out for these is very disappointing. Yes there are a lot that can do it, but I've encountered too many that couldn't due to the fixed sights. To correct, you may have to bend the barrel or frame. Uberti and Pietta are the same, but I've encountered less Uberti's with this problem.

With most autos I've encountered problems with either had ammo, horrible triggers, bad sights, not enough to hold onto. This describes most "pocket " rockets. Most pocket rockets for people with big hands, This is However:

Lorcin, Jennings, Ravens, Jimenez, and Davis had trips back to the factory.

The odds of getting a pistol that is accurate out to 50 yards is pretty high. In fact most handguns are more accurate than the person behind it. People have so many hand sizes it is impossible to accommodate everyone.

Naturally the accuracy is better with some manufactured with good

Ruger LCR I have no experience with, but I just acquired a like new one for $280+tax.

Maloy

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Regarding the OP, is this the article you are referring to?

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2017/10/24/skills-check-pocket-pistol-drills/

When I practice, I spend the majority of my practice time on 7 yards or less, but I also try to find time to go out to longer distances. Sometimes I'll set up multiple targets, one being very close range, one being medium handgun range, and one out to 50-75 feet. Also practice one handed, (what if your primary shooting arm is disabled, for example) and other positions besides two handed standing without cover. I'm fortunate that the range master (me) allows me to do this. :)

As far as shooting at 50 yards I don't normally do it with a handgun, unless I'm just curious about what a particular handgun will do at that range. Like for example, the PT111 G2 at 50 yds, then 75 yards. I had to go to my neighbors to do this, because my own range is limited to 25 yards. I would've tried it at 100 yards just for a lark but that particular day the last 25 was a swamp.

·
Registered
36,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Negative!
its in the monthly NRA magazine.
basically it covers a discussion about you can not know at what distance an attack will present itself, the attacker controls that.
then it discusses the ability to utilize the weapon at distances far more than 3 feet-3 yards out to possibly even 25 yards in self defense.
IT talks about AVERAGES, like average distance to a target, average number of attackers, average performance of ammo,(average number of misses in a attack) etc.
basically saying that an average doesn't mean a lot when YOU are the one under the gun, its performance of YOU and YOUR equipment that matters.
Like I said it covers MY thoughts precisely and why I am an advocate of small pistols that have decent sights and good triggers.
there are a mulititude of different training scenarios out there, many can be altered to the shooters ability as well.
I typically fire 10 rounds at the head at 5 yards, (2 mags), 15 rounds at center mass ( 3 mags) 10 rounds at 15 yards (2 mags) and then 2 body and 1 head (5 mags) fast triple tap at 5 yards.
this is done with the weapon either in a holster or laying on a shelf and either safety engaged or decocked, the weapon is picked up and placed into service as quickly and safely as can be done.
just my way as it practices safety manipulation, mag changes, speed and multiple shots mixed in with accuracy.
this takes 50 rounds of ammo as well.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Late made Colt SAA's. The money people dish out for these is very disappointing. Yes there are a lot that can do it, but I've encountered too many that couldn't due to the fixed sights. To correct, you may have to bend the barrel or frame. Uberti and Pietta are the same, but I've encountered less Uberti's with this problem.

Maloy
Sight adjustment on SAA's can be involved but you don't bend barrels or frames.

Left and right adjustments can be done by bending the front sight if it's just a little off. If it's hitting really wide, turning the barrel and recutting the forcing cone is needed. Most of them come with a front sight that's too high intentionally, too. That way, you can file it to match POA and POI at your preferred range and load.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts