Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link to a shooting about 2 miles from me. I understand their reasoning about surprise but it seems to me that more people are getting shot on both sides when they serve them this late or early depending on how you look at it. I could see where someone could not understand what they were saying when being jarred awake in the middle of the night. Two Byron officers shot serving warrant, suspect dead | 13wmaz.com

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
Here is a link to a shooting about 2 miles from me. I understand their reasoning about surprise but it seems to me that more people are getting shot on both sides when they serve them this late or early depending on how you look at it. I could see where someone could not understand what they were saying when being jarred awake in the middle of the night. Two Byron officers shot serving warrant, suspect dead | 13wmaz.com
I have not read the story yet however this is a big fear for me. If police ever came to my house kicking in the door to serve a warrant I will probably die defending myself and my family. I have no reason to think police will ever come bashing in my door so I could only think it is a home invasion.

There has to be a better way.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have been known to get the wrong house on occasion which is what worries me about it ! No perfect solution but they need to try something different if for no other reason than to save themselves from getting shot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Amen brother..

Unless the police have the wrong address, I doubt they would choose the 'Tactical Entry' on the average citizen.
If they know the history of a soon to be guest of the state has a violent past then it is probably justified.

If they are serving a warrant for a misdemeanor I think they would probably call them on the phone first, ?

Any LEO's out there wish to comment.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
They have been known to get the wrong house on occasion which is what worries me about it ! No perfect solution but they need to try something different if for no other reason than to save themselves from getting shot.
CORRECT!!! A better solution would be to slow down & get the correct address instead of being so dam gung ho testosterone hyped crazy to kick the door in!!

BW

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Compounding the problem is that the people coming through your door in the dark are not dressed like police. It doesn't matter who they say they are, they come in dressed in black with ski masks (or balacalvas if you want to get technical).

"Knocked on the door three times". On a drug raid? Sure. "When no one answered they went inside". Maybe they found the key under the mat? Sure.

I agree with previous posts. A bunch of people dressed in black and their faces covered battering down someone's door in the dark is not going to have a happy ending.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the case that I posted a link to there were other people in the home , his girlfriend and her 1 month old baby. They were not shot though I would not go so far as to say that they were unharmed as the trauma of something like that has to stay with you for some time ! But on the other hand if he was a drug dealer then he and his girlfriend put themselves in that situation and their baby as well. But so far I have heard no news of drugs in the house just weapons. Do not get me wrong I am not anti-cop, very much the opposite. I grew up as a cops son and support them but if they make mistakes they need to be open about them also.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
It's off topic, but last week our local PD responded to 2 hoax 911 calls, on the same street. They kicked in an old lady's door, luckily no one got shot. But the lady has filed a complaint because the PD has refused to pay for the door they damaged. Of course the chief stands by the actions of the officers, which I do too. But own up to it and pay for the mistake.

Roanoke resident's house damaged after hoax 911 calls

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Let me say that I don't know if it true in this case but this is something that has always worried me ... militarization of the police. They have all the high-tech tactical equipment, they train hard and often on tactics and implementation and they are just itching to put it to use.

What's wrong with adopting a low key approach? Nobody stays in their house 24/7. Wait until he leaves to go to the convenience store for a 6-pack and arrest him then and search the house later. There's no need to be entering someone's home at 02:30 in the morning ... how did they get in?. That's a recipe for disaster. I don't care if they announce themselves or not. 2 cops are shot and the resident is dead because of stupidity.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have never heard of a search warrant served before 9:00 am or after 5:00 pm here in washington. if they would followed those tactics they would have been fine but to do it at 2:30 am is wrong
they could surveyed the house and arrested the sub if he came out and not endangered the child or wife ( if she isn't on the warrant they have no rite to enter her house although I have no idea if she was but no arrests were mentioned so I would assume she was not charged with anything )
btw this has happened to me
9:30 am cops knocked on the door of a house I was staying at the cops came in put everyone in cuffs and keep asking for someone that no one knew they told us we were lying They showed me the warrant It didn't have my name on it and the address didn't exist I pointed it out to them they were very apologetic but since I didn't live there I couldn't sue
this was out in the countryside very rural no neighbors for miles so they could not of mistaken it for the house next door
so mistakes happen but it was during business hours and we were awake so no surprize and it was dealt with by 11:30 am

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I know if they did that to my house, this Desperado is going out in one helluva blaze of glory, including incendiary shotgun shells. If I'm in the fight for my life, I sure not going to play by ANY rules!!!!

With regard to the police in the article, did they not do any due diligence, and see whether or not they had the right house? And to enter at that hour leaves me to believe someone within the group serving the warrant needs to have a very thorough talking to, and put on desk duty for a while until they get their attitude adjusted. Even in Phoenix, search warrants ARE NOT done at night. Search warrants are served during the day, and AFTER the place in question has been under surveillance for quite some time to confirm that it is the right place.

I sure hope some LEO's head rolls on this 'mess'.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I have not read the story yet however this is a big fear for me. If police ever came to my house kicking in the door to serve a warrant I will probably die defending myself and my family. I have no reason to think police will ever come bashing in my door so I could only think it is a home invasion.

Exactly! I would think that they would verify that's the home and the person in question is in there.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

I have the same mindset as you on this subject, Paul. I have no fear of the police because I have done nothing wrong which would cause me to fear them. I cannot think of any reason I would do something in the future to bring them crashing down on me, kicking in my door at 2:00 a.m., but if they ever do...there will hell to pay.

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
I would think there are other tactics that could be used to have a safer sneak attack on their mark. How about killing the electric and water to the house and waiting for them to come out to investigate? Work with the utility company ahead of time, if they call to report an outage tell them there are no other reported outages in the area and they need to go check their meter outside.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Some years ago there was a case involving a cop getting killed serving a "no-knock" warrant.

They went to the address on the warrant and found the house occupied but no one there even
knew who the cops were looking for. Someone told them the guy next door had been selling drugs
or whatever.

Cops take it upon themselves to kick in the guys door. Guy hears the commotion, grabs a pistol
and kills one of the cops. In exchanging fire the cops shot and killed the guys fifteen year old son.
Cops didn't find anything implicating the guy in anything. They bust him for killing the cop.

This actually ended up with the occupant being tried for and found guilty of killing the cop. Ended up
on death row. Through appeal the case finally ended up in front of a federal judge who completely
dismissed the charges and let the guy go, as he should have.

D.A. and the cops had a fit. Judge told them, as he rightly should have, "You took your chances busting
into an innocent mans house. Not only that but you killed his son through your stupidity". Guy ended
up with some huge settlement but it can never make up for his kid getting killed.

These guys get a little over-eager sometimes.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Some years ago there was a case involving a cop getting killed serving a "no-knock" warrant.

They went to the address on the warrant and found the house occupied but no one there even
knew who the cops were looking for. Someone told them the guy next door had been selling drugs
or whatever.

Cops take it upon themselves to kick in the guys door. Guy hears the commotion, grabs a pistol
and kills one of the cops. In exchanging fire the cops shot and killed the guys fifteen year old son.
Cops didn't find anything implicating the guy in anything. They bust him for killing the cop.

This actually ended up with the occupant being tried for and found guilty of killing the cop. Ended up
on death row. Through appeal the case finally ended up in front of a federal judge who completely
dismissed the charges and let the guy go, as he should have.

D.A. and the cops had a fit. Judge told them, as he rightly should have, "You took your chances busting
into an innocent mans house. Not only that but you killed his son through your stupidity". Guy ended
up with some huge settlement but it can never make up for his kid getting killed.

These guys get a little over-eager sometimes.

All the Best,
D. White
This is a sad commentary, indeed. I am glad the gentleman whose house was wrongfully invaded was eventually exonerated.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
I would think there are other tactics that could be used to have a safer sneak attack on their mark. How about killing the electric and water to the house and waiting for them to come out to investigate? Work with the utility company ahead of time, if they call to report an outage tell them there are no other reported outages in the area and they need to go check their meter outside.
See this is why we need F.O.G. brigades in our police and military. Instead of always going full D-day invasions all the time.

* F.O.G. Frayed Old Guy. ;)

The last city I lived in back east paid a hefty settlement for "accidently raiding" The house of a city council persons daughter. Turns out in their rush to hop in the APC someone jotted down the wrong address. They missed by several blocks... :/

You kick my door in screaming over top of each other at 4am, you will receive a less than friendly welcome moving at terminal velocities.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts