Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember when that first came out, there were ads in every newspaper and billboards everywhere advertising the service. I don't see anything now that I'm considering having it done.

Are they still doing that?

I only need over the counter reading glasses, but need stronger ones every so often, and there's no fudging it anymore. If I need to read something, I have to have the glasses. Same is true for doing any work on guns or cleaning them, as well as any such tasks.

I am absolutely hating having to put the glasses on, take the glasses off, have them fall off the top of my head when not in use, etc. It's driving me crazy.

So I'm thinking about that lasic procedure now. Have any of you had it done? Know anyone that has? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
If it works for you- go for it.
But don't fall for it if it only deals with part of the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had it done 2 years ago, I am not sure if it will help for upclose you wil have to talk to them for that.

I can tell you that i am enjoying the hell out of life after wearing glasses for 20+ years,
the 5 grand for 20/20 visiion was well worth it in my opionion

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Remember when that first came out, there were ads in every newspaper and billboards everywhere advertising the service. I don't see anything now that I'm considering having it done.

Are they still doing that?

I only need over the counter reading glasses, but need stronger ones every so often, and there's no fudging it anymore. If I need to read something, I have to have the glasses. Same is true for doing any work on guns or cleaning them, as well as any such tasks.

I am absolutely hating having to put the glasses on, take the glasses off, have them fall off the top of my head when not in use, etc. It's driving me crazy.

So I'm thinking about that lasic procedure now. Have any of you had it done? Know anyone that has? Any suggestions?
I'm in the same exact boat as you are. Only it's getting harder to see how much water has been taken on. I even bought a couple of magnifiying glasses to use when my arms aren't long enough and my up close glasses aren't enough.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My brother wore glasses since he was a kid, and couple years ago he got his eyes lasered. No more glasses, and he's happy with the results. The thing he didn't like about it was the smell of burning flesh while they were doing the procedure, but other than that... Me - I had 20/15 vision 'till I hit about thirty. Evidently the old monochrome displays were pretty bad for your eyes - at least that's what the opthamologist told me. My eyes aren't that bad, but I still have to wear glasses for distance and it bugs me no end. If I ever see $3000 in the same place again, I'm heading to the doc for some laser treatment.

Something else I'm considering for shooting in the short term is a diopter for my glasses. There's something about looking through a little round hole that works as well or maybe better than glasses. I notice it on my AR too. If I look at the red dot without my glasses on, it's fuzzy. If I put my glasses on it's nice and clear. And I just found out the other night that, if I flip up the rear sight and look through the aperture at the dot, it's clear without my glasses. Strange but true.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Here's another little weird thing for you to try. Look at something printed from a distance where it looks fuzzy. Then curl your index finger making as small a hole as you can see through (if that makes any sense) and look at the fuzzy thing you were looking at a few moments earlier. Don't be surprised when the printing looks nice and clear. Anyway, it will give you an idea of what a diopter will do.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I had Lasik about 10 years ago - I was blind as a bat before the surgery , and 20/20 afterwards. Not sure if it will help near vision loss due to age - I am now wearing reading glasses for my near vision.

·
Super Moderator
35,539 Posts
Have you ever had an eye exam? If your issue is only reading distances laser surgery is of dubious benefit. My wife has worn glasses since she was a kid and was very interested in Lasik. She has since had friends and co-workers who have had the procedure and have had severe negative reactions such as dry eye and vision affected by lighting streaks. In addition, she now would have to wear reading glasses anyway even though her distance vision would be corrected. In addition, I really don't believe there's been enough time passed to determine if aging has any further negative effects on the eye. I personally would hate to pay $5,000.00 and know that I screwed up my eyesight.

Presbyopia Diagnosis and Treatment in St. John's, NL | Bense.ca

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had it done, On the plus side, I no longer make my own off ramps on the free way. on the bottom side, I now need reading glasses to see the sights on my guns. but on the plus side again , I can actually see what I'm shooting at now.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My brother wore glasses since he was a kid, and couple years ago he got his eyes lasered. No more glasses, and he's happy with the results. The thing he didn't like about it was the smell of burning flesh while they were doing the procedure, but other than that... Me - I had 20/15 vision 'till I hit about thirty. Evidently the old monochrome displays were pretty bad for your eyes - at least that's what the opthamologist told me. My eyes aren't that bad, but I still have to wear glasses for distance and it bugs me no end. If I ever see $3000 in the same place again, I'm heading to the doc for some laser treatment.

Something else I'm considering for shooting in the short term is a diopter for my glasses. There's something about looking through a little round hole that works as well or maybe better than glasses. I notice it on my AR too. If I look at the red dot without my glasses on, it's fuzzy. If I put my glasses on it's nice and clear. And I just found out the other night that, if I flip up the rear sight and look through the aperture at the dot, it's clear without my glasses. Strange but true.

Yup. Those things work. A guy a shoot bowling pins with had me try it. Works quite well as a matter of fact

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have heard that it is not a long term cure, I don't know? I would want to do considerable research before I opted for it. JMHO!

I have always been Near Sighted so had to have glasses for driving and distance sight, then the companies vision test for QA qualification indicated I needed Bi-focals and finally Tri-focals and since they paid for all but $20.00 dollars of the cost of the safety glasses I didn't object. For the last several years I have been taking my glasses off to read and write.

I got my first glasses when I was 16 years old because when I got my drivers license I failed every vision test they had and they told me not to come back to renew it until I had glasses. So for fifty years I always wore my glasses when I went to renew my license. Lat fall I took them off to fill out forms and without thinking I went to take the vision test without them I read the line she asked for with no problems and she said "You passed...No Restrictions"???? I am still amazed that I got an unrestricted license, but I am so used to wearing the Photo-Gray lenses I told my wife I am either going to have to get a pair of sun glasses or start wearing my glasses again when the sun is bright????

One good thing about it is that now that I have to pay for my own glasses I may not even need corrective lenses. Some times life is good!

·
Registered
708 Posts
That really works!
Here's another little weird thing for you to try. Look at something printed from a distance where it looks fuzzy. Then curl your index finger making as small a hole as you can see through (if that makes any sense) and look at the fuzzy thing you were looking at a few moments earlier. Don't be surprised when the printing looks nice and clear. Anyway, it will give you an idea of what a diopter will do.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I had lasik about 10 years ago. Both eyes for three grand 20/20 when it was all over.
Ive always loved the results and would do it again without a second thought.

They can correct for both near and farsightedness. When I had mine done they told me that I would need reading glasses someday. The good news is at that time they had a new surgery to correct the need for reading glasses as well.

Now I need the surgery again. I just got glasses for a few months till I can book a surgery date. Now its only $400 per eye for a touch up.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My sister had to have it done twice. The first time didn't last too long, but the second time seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
My brother had it done years ago, and he is still better than 20/20 in both eyes. I would like to have it done, but because of the shape of my corneas and something about my retinas, I am not a good candidate....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts