Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the laser is good I think for quick fire.... But my personal opinion is the tact light is the best as an infantry marine the brightness of that light had saved my life on numerous occasion..... So in closing the tact light is the best thing since sliced bread... High speed low drag.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
My opinion is for the tactical light. Mainly because it can be used to disorient and intruder but also allow you to clear your home quickly and safely. The laser will allow for a quick shot alignment even before you have your normal stance but after that the light is more useful.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the Veridian combo unit. Works great. Has 100 lumen light and a green laser visible in bright daylight. Also several differnt modes (laser only, light only, strobe, combo, etc)

·
Super Moderator
21,452 Posts
I think if your going to use one or both you need the training that goes along with them. I use a separate Surfire and like that better then having to point my gun at something that could be friendly. This is JMO and I'm sure that there are many. The laser does in a quick fashion at showing your POA but also shows where your gun is.
I would rather keep the advantage of knowing my house and letting my two Blue Healers clear my house for me. They are vary protective and will let me know where any danger lies. But the BG's have to get by my motion sensor lights and alarm system first.

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Registered
508 Posts
Go with the viridian!!!!!

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
If it's attached to the gun, neither. A number of reasons. 1) The more crap you cram in a box, the more things can go wrong - and Mr. Murphy is living testiment to the fact that things will go wrong, and at the least opportune moment. 2) If I need my gun in a self defense situation, I want my gun to be completely stock and using standard off the shelf ammo - nothing exotic. I don't want a hot to trot prosecutor telling a jury I was looking for trouble. 3) I don't want something on the end of my gun getting caught in my holster or on my belt if I have to draw. 4) I don't want something that lives on batteries hanging off the end of my weapon. 5) If I have to clear my house, I'll do it in the dark. I know my house well enough to know where stuff is. The bad guy doesn't. I don't want a light becoming a target. 6) If I need my gun on the street, I want to have to pull only one trigger. If I really need a light, there's a good chance it's going to be too late.

Reactions: 45 Forever

·
Registered
508 Posts
Old School thinking....cant see the front sight is alligned with the rear in the dark. I think everyone knows there house but dark is dark. And if you're the bad guy with a strobe light in your face and a green dot on your chest...I would think it would be a bad feeling. If the batteries die, then I'll go back to old school.

·
Registered
27,169 Posts
Different and complementary purposes. Tac light helps identify target. Laser helps acquire target.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like to have every advantage and option available in a home defense situation. I also have other people living in my house, and although I say different sometimes, I'd really rather not shoot any of them. Target identification in a high stress situation is important. It's true that a light or a laser can identify your location, but both have their advantages in some situations. And yep, I have the night sights available too. Night vision will be almost nil after the first round goes, making a light useful.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Old School thinking....cant see the front sight is alligned with the rear in the dark. I think everyone knows there house but dark is dark. And if you're the bad guy with a strobe light in your face and a green dot on your chest...I would think it would be a bad feeling. If the batteries die, then I'll go back to old school.
I might be old school, but I also subscribe to the KISS principle. Don't have to align sights if you've practiced point shooting. I can hit center of mass at room distances without aligning front and rear sights. As far as a green light on your chest or a strobe in your face, if you are in my house in the dark, there's a real good chance you won't have an opportunity to find out what that's like. Ohio is a Castle Doctrine state. As far as others living in the house, there are my wife and me and a dog and two cats. If someone is in my house, they don't belong there unless I've invited them in. The dog and the cats don't know how to disarm the alarm system, and I don't advertise there is one. If the phone wires are cut, I get an alarm, but obviously, the alarm monitor company does not. While it's not perfect, my home security is as much as I need where I live.

PS. If I hear obvious break in noises at night in my house, my Randall will back up my Stoeger 12g Coachgun. Buckshot usually doesn't follow a laser beam. Just sayin.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
+1 on the Viridian C5...Best of both worlds! A laser bright enough for full daylight, and the light is bright enough to light up my whole house.(it's a small house)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have the C%L on my beretta and will be getting the X5L for my Judge ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have never used a laser so have no input. I had a tac light on my glock 22 while working k9's. It was a great tool allowing me to have one hand controlling the pooch and one hand for gun/light combo. I personally would go the light route. I also liked it for home defense. If I had to get up for a potential threat again I had the gun/light combo.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have lights on some, laser on others.....I prefer lights. It's one thing knowing where your bullet is going to impact (laser), but I think it is better to know what your bullet is going to impact (light). The lights I use have a central spot beam that is useful for aiming at short distances, but it also has a wide halo effect that allows me to identify my target without aiming my pistol directly at the target......

Mike

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's why the Viridian is awesome because you can have both the light and the laser on at the same time
:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
depends on the situation but I lean towards a laser if I think there is a chance for return fire. The light is nice, but why make yourself a giant target in the dark?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a Streamlight TLR3 combo on my PT1911AR and I love it. I'm not gonna get it caught on my holster or my belt because it's a nightstand gun. As far as not pointing it at a friendly target, that Streamlight is so bright, when I point it at the ceiling, it lights up my whole house (and I have 12 foot ceilings.) As far as lights and lasers giving your position away, by the time the BG figures out where the light/laser is coming from, he will be blind from the light and the .45 ACP will be flying. Just my 2 cents... Bad guys usually operate under the cover of darkness and any advantage you have in a gunfight will increase your chances of coming out on top protecting your family and home and sending the BG to the morgue.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
As for me, with or without a light I doubt I'd be thinking about lining up the sights.
In fact, I have a kit for painting sights so they glow in the dark (a gift) that I've never used; why bother when the sights lose their glow about five minutes after lights out?
Call it spray and pray or point shooting, I'd rather use a light to identify the target, not to assist with a sight picture.

·
Registered
120 Posts
depends on the situation but I lean towards a laser if I think there is a chance for return fire. The light is nice, but why make yourself a giant target in the dark?
I would rather stand up and say "shoot me here" any night of the week than take the slightest chance of shooting my grandbaby....hence the light. In the drills I have run, at the distances likely encountered in the home, for me, it is a lot quicker to point shoot. I spend too much time looking for a little red (or green) dot. I am more accurate with a laser, but I'm accurate enough point shooting....up to 7 to 10 yards anyway. My advice? Use what works the best for you, and then practice, practice, practice....

Mike

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Another thing to think about while we are on the subject of light in your own home...even though I hate the whole global warming scam and the forced use of CFL bulbs, they are cheap enough to have on all night in the common areas of your home - for me, my entire house except bathrooms and bedrooms is lit all night every night for less than $4 a month. Not only is it a deterrent for anyone outside the home who can see lights on, but can't see through the blinds, if I hear something go bump in the night, I am never faced with trying to clear a dark home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts