Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Crimson Trace CMR-206 Rail Master Universal Green laser that is currently mounted to my Springfield XDE.
https://www.crimsontrace.com/products/by-product-type/laser-sights/01-4620

I also ordered a new piece of kydex from White Hat Holsters to use with the TH9C.
https://www.whitehatholsters.com/taurus-th9-and-th9c-holsters/

White Hat Holsters has specific kydex options for the TH9C pistol with the Crimson Trace CMR-206 laser. Unfortunately they're backed up right now, so I'm waiting. When it comes in, I will take the laser off my Springfield and try it on the TH9C and report back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I received my new holster kydex for my TH9C today, so I decided to swap the Crimson Trace CMR-206 Rail Master universal laser from my Springfield XDE to the Taurus.

It's a good news - bad news kind of thing. The good news is that I got the laser sight to fit and it seems to work well with the White Hat holster. The bad news is that I had to do some minor modifications to several laser pieces to get it to fit nicely.

Here's the end result:
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

If you're not familiar with the Crimson Trace CMR-206 Rail Master, it comes with 4 adapters to position the laser on the pistol rail. The adapter interfaces with the laser via a small shallow transverse dovetail. The adapter interfaces with the pistol via a lug that engages the rail slot to keep the laser from moving forward or rearward. Once you've selected the appropriate adapter, there are a pair of side plates that squeeze the sides of both the pistol rail and the laser, holding everything together tight with a pair of long transverse screws.

For the adapters, there are two wide-slot and two narrow-slot variants that either set the position forward some or rearward some. The Taurus TH9C has a wide rail slot, so that narrows the adapters down to two choices. The "forward" adapter seemed way too far forward to me, but technically it fit and would work in that position; although NOT with the White Hat holster I had already bought. Sliding the pistol into the holster, the laser bottoms out first which doesn't seem right to me. Plus the side paddle switches are rather ridiculously far away.
Here is the "forward" adapter without the laser side plates installed:
Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

Swapping over to the "#4" adapter which moves the laser rearward looked MUCH better, put the side switches in the right spot, and worked with the holster.
Here's the "rearward" adapter without the laser side plates installed:
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

Continued...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unfortunately there were 2 issues:

1) The top-rear edge of the laser *barely* contacts the gently sweeping trigger guard near the rail, pushing the rear of the laser down slightly. This makes the laser dot significantly too high at 10 yards - probably 3 feet too high. I didn't try to adjust the laser aiming elevation screw as it wasn't that difficult to correct this.

2) The side plates won't attach properly. They are free to float forward and back on the edges of the rail and the similar edges molded into the laser body. But they rely on the pair of long transverse screws to pinch the laser. If slid forward, the front screw interferes with the rear of the adapter plate. If slid rearward they interfere with running out of pistol rail. The very rear of the Taurus rail changes shape as the rail molds into the rest of the pistol frame, making the last 1/8" or so of rail not shaped correctly to uses the laser side plates.

My solution for the first problem was simply to take a fine file and slightly chamfer the top rear corner of the laser. It didn't take much filing and was easy to determine when I had filed enough. Just activate the laser and hold it in place snug up against the pistol frame. Every few swipes with the file moved the dot down lower and lower until it was just below the iron sights, which meant the laser should not touch the trigger guard anymore.

The second problem required two modifications to correct. In order to get the laser side plates to work, they needed to be pushed farther forward than the interference between the front screw and the adapter would allow. So I used a belt sander to sand down the rear edge of the adapter. But I could only sand up to the dovetail where the adapter attaches to the laser. This helped a lot, but was not quite enough to make the side plates fit. So I took a triangular needle file and widened the very rearmost part of the slot in both side plates.
Here is a "before" picture of the side plates. The longer lower groove interfaces with the laser and the shorter upper groove interfaces with the pistol.

Here is a "after" picture showing how I slightly widened the shorter upper groove at the back (right side as pictured):

Another view:

With all that filing done, here's how it fits:
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Air gun

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here is the White Hat Holsters MaxTuck:
Handgun holster Gun accessory

Note that this holster is not standard in two ways.
First, the kydex I ordered for the TH9C is for their "MaxClip" holster even though I have it attached to a "MaxTuck" leather backer. The MaxClip uses a single wide plastic clip mounted to the kydex to hold onto your belt. The "MaxTuck" uses a pair of narrower metal clips mounted to the leather backer to hold onto your belt. I have both MaxClip and MaxTuck leather backers, so for the most flexibility, I buy MaxClip kydex which can be used on either leather backer.
Second, for a small fee they cut me a custom leather backer. I prefer not having the highly textured grip pressing into my side, so White Hat Holsters greatly enlarged the leather backer at the top to keep the grip off my skin.

As I just got the kydex today and swapped the laser over, I have not had a chance to either wear the holster with the TH9C or try out the laser at the range. Hopefully soon!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got out to the range today and am happy to report that the laser sight worked very, very well.

This is a 5-shot group from 10 yards. Penny sitting there for scale. This grouping measures in at about 0.95". I was aiming the laser at the staple, so technically I suppose it's just a bit low.

One interesting thing is that after installing the laser, I adjusted it against the iron sights in my basement; being careful to align the laser to the top edges of the sights (not trying to align the 3-dots). I never re-adjusted the laser at the range. So the iron sights are really dead-on!

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Airsoft gun

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Bought a Tacticon Armament green laser sight back in Jan of this year, on a special promo sale, & it wasn't customized to fit my PT809 (prev vers of the TH9) either, it's just that that's the only pistol it would fit solidly on. Haven't taken the time to try it out yet but I plan on doing so in the next week or so & when I do I'll post a report on how well it worked (or didn't). It was a good bargain too back then, only $24.95 plus local sales tax & free shipping.

Bought a red Crimson Trace for my .380 on a special clearance in Jan of 2020 & was just able to test it out last week at a local outdoor range. It did well in the late a.m. because I could still see it on the white paper plate target at 10 yds but later in the early afternoon sun it was just too hard to see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts