Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody own any of the laser designators that mount on a rifle to where it is like night vision when looking through the scope?

If so, how do these work for you and what brand is yours? I have found a site where I can get wholesale pricing on some ( around $100 with mounts ) and I would like to mount one on my .270 for nightime hog/ coyote hunting.
thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
A laser designator is what we use in the military to guide in certain munitions to a target. NVGs, or Night Vision Goggles or Scopes, use any available ambiant light to enable an individual to see in shades of green at night. They are two separate and different pieces of equipment. If you're looking for a Night Vision Scope, Optics Planet has a good selection. Don't think you want a laser designator unless I totally missed the question.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the laser designators like I speak of either mount on the side of a quad rail such as found on an AR or on top of a scope, it shines the laser and you see it through the scope to light up your target at night. they are cheaper alternatives to night vision scopes.

he put it on an airgun here, but this shows how it works

·
Registered
518 Posts
In most cases this is an infrared beam, not a laser designator. The beam can only be seen through googles or a scope designed to see the beam. Very nice stuff in a combat zone and very deadly. Modern NVGs can see this beam.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood, but if you can see it, it's not a laser designator which designates a target. Just a laser.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No its not a laser sight. Its a green adjustable focus laser that mounts on your scope and you adjust the beam so whenever you look through the scope at night it fills up your view through the scope and allows you to make long distance shots at night.

The green light doesn't spook the animals and it appears to be like night vision through your optics

·
Registered
518 Posts
lp04, post the site where you saw this so we can look at it. Stills sounds like a laser sight attached to a night vision scope.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
lp04, I looked at the youtube video and you're right, he does call it a laser designator. To me it's still a laser sight because you can see it. A true designator like those used in the military cannot be seen because it leads back to the guy targeting. I'd like to get my hands on this and try it because he is using an ordinary scope to see the beam. If it works like he demonstrates it, it would be fun to try at night. Let us know if you get one and the results.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just a green laser sight. To me a starlight scope or NVG's would be a much better alternative for hunting hogs and yotes at night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts