Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 605, but the grips are a little too small for my hands. What are some suggestions for a good recoil absorbing grip that’s around 1/4” to 1/2” longer than factory?

· Registered
11 Posts
The attached link to the Taurus store includes several options from Hogue and a couple of Viridian laser grips. My 3" 605 Defender came with the black Hogue rubber Monogrip. I find it pretty comfortable to shoot with that grip.

The 605 defender is deferent. It has a screw in the bottom holding it on, and the grip frame is longer than a 605.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
The 605 defender is deferent. It has a screw in the bottom holding it on, and the grip frame is longer than a 605.
Nope. The frame is the same. Only the barrel is different. Both of my 856s and my 605 came with two sets of grips. The Hogue rubber grips installed from the factory. The shorter bull grips were also supplied. My 942 came with the bull grips and I installed the Hogue rubber grips. The Hogue grips have a stirrup that attaches to the bottom of the frame and the screw threads into the stirrup.

Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Off the top of my head, Hogue, Pachmyr Compac, and Uncle Mike's Combat. Sadly the Uncle Mike's and Pachmyrs are discontinued. The Uncle Mike's is my favorite small frame grip and is what is on my 605. Be aware that the Hogues have an open backstrap if that matters to you.

· Registered
653 Posts
The attached link to the Taurus store includes several options from Hogue and a couple of Viridian laser grips. My 3" 605 Defender came with the black Hogue rubber Monogrip. I find it pretty comfortable to shoot with that grip.

I don't actually like the (current) Monogrip all that much. The finger grooves don't work for me. I'm sanding them down, on my 856.

Another alternative: the wood grips that come with the 856 Executive Grade can sometimes be had on the Altamont Factory outlet, on Gunborker. These would be factory seconds. I picked up a set not long ago. Again, not to my taste, and I'm working on them with some sandpaper to get them where I want them.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The difference between the current Taurus "bull grip", and the Hogue. Both of these came with my 856 Defender. You can also see how I've reduced the finger grooves.
You’ve done a great job on the grips! The perfect size grips for me are the factory tracker grips, but they won’t quite fit. I’ve thought of removing material from inside the grips until they fit, and then drilling for the pin. I’ve got a couple pairs of tracker grips to experiment on.

· Registered
11 Posts
Nope. The frame is the same. Only the barrel is different. Both of my 856s and my 605 came with two sets of grips. The Hogue rubber grips installed from the factory. The shorter bull grips were also supplied. My 942 came with the bull grips and I installed the Hogue rubber grips. The Hogue grips have a stirrup that attaches to the bottom of the frame and the screw threads into the stirrup.

View attachment 494223

You are correct. I knew about the stirrup. I’ve swapped the stock, Houge and Crimson trace grips around on my 85, 605, and 856 Many times. I got confused when trying to mount a set of wooden grips on the 605. The grips were from an older Rossi i had lying around. I monkeyed round trying to modify those grips wanting a wooden set. I confused myself.

· Registered
2,184 Posts
And I don't think I have ever seen one of those, outside of pictures.
If those are something that you're interested in, let me know. I have a spare set that I could send your way. They came off of my M94 when I put a set of wood grips on it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts