Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a while ago I contacted Lakeline about getting a steel spring assembly for the Taurus PT840. Alfonse got back with me and said; welllll, we make one for the 809, you could take it apart and put the spring from the 840 in and be hunky dory (I 'm paraphrasing). I was a bit hesitant as you have to cut the existing 840 assembly apart to get the springs out. Also, you need to heat up the Lakeline assembly to soften the threadlocker enough to remove the screw, which, Alfonse informed me, would probably ruin the spring. But, since I was using the springs from the 840, no problem. So, last night I undertook the task. First, I cut apart an old G2c rod that I'd already replaced with a Lakeline one to see how that went. Easy! Next, I cut the plastic 840 rod. Again, easy. The springs didn't go anywhere (no tension). Then, I used a torch to heat the retaining screw on the Lakeline 809 rod. The hard part was to pull the hot spring down to engage the end with a wrench so that I could remove the screw. Wrapping a cloth around the spring worked. That done, the rest was easy. Put the old springs from the 840 on the new 809 rod, apply threadlocker and tighten. I went shootin' today in preparation for a practical practice tonight as a tune-up for the Miami, OH USPSA shoot Sunday (my first competion). I didn't notice any difference shooting, but I have more peace of mind knowing the steel is there. Thanks, Alfonse!!

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
Good luck at the competition and I'm glad that you got a fix for your pistol! I need to get back out there.

Reactions: Russty

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife says I need to state why I cut up the G2c rod. I did it just to practice, it was not involved in any way besides me seeing what happens when you take a pair of diagonal cutters to a guide rod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts